Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a self admitted gun nut and recently picked up a cheap SKS to add to my collection. After looking the weapon I handed the seller 250.00 and off I went to remove the cosmoline. In addition to the rifle (which did come completed) I also received 3 detachable magazines, 100rds of 7.62x39, a few stripper clips. Something just didn't look right about the rifle though. It was missing its bayonet, which was nothing out of the ordinary, but after careful examination it actually never had a bayonet lug to begin with. Along with the fact that a standard SKS has a 20" barrel and this model had a 16"er, this peaked my interest. After some lengthy time on google I found what I was looking for. It turns out I have a not so common SKS- Cowboy Companion.

A quick search on gun broker for paratrooper models lists the weapon for around 375-475. Not too shabby of an investment if you ask me. In any event on with some pics.

Before you ask.....I trashed the ATI folding stock and did a thorough detail strip to get the cosmocrap of of all the nooks and crannies. I am waiting on an original wood stock to complete the project

I also threw in a "Wolverines" sticker just for good measure.....If you have to ask then it's best you not know.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks good.... and surely if a fun hobby to get into.

I would like to get back into this...i am more into the older stuff though...too bad my Dad sold off his M1 Garand and his 1903 Springfield. I am currently looking for a good Springfield though...if you happen to know anyone who wants to sell:badteeth:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would LOVE to have a 1903A4 Sniper. That is by far my favorite classic battle rifle. Garands are nice but lots of folks have em. You just don't see any series of 1903 anywhere.

Speaking of Garands.....Anyone looking forward to Gran Torino??

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the best thing about the sks is that the bolt is forged instead of pressed. i have an sks that i fixed up, good gun and never jams on me, although mine is a standard length barrel variety

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the best thing about the sks is that the bolt is forged instead of pressed. i have an sks that i fixed up, good gun and never jams on me, although mine is a standard length barrel variety

I have to admit this definitely was not my first choice of a project weapon. I still have a reciever and parts kit that needs assembled as well as the need for an upper. I've been tempted to just go a head and purchase a flat top AR- upper from Del-Ton, but I've been trying to hold out for something of a little bit better quality. Maybe when I finish this SKS I'll sell it on gb and use the dough for what I want. :badteeth:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts