Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've had the 8007 alarm with the two way pager and all the bells and whistles and I got it about six months or less ago brand new and it worked well until the shock sensor (just a spring soldered inside) broke off. Of course I called them and they warrantied it and everything but its happened again and its really a pain to disconnect it all, send it in, wait a week to get it back while my back doesn't have an alarm on it, pay shipping, then reinstall it... has anyone else had issues with this? Any ideas on how to fix it or avoid it happening? I ride my bike everyday so I assume the bad roads around here are making the solder get weak over time but you would think that they would've thought of that when designing the alarm...

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I had the 8017 and liked it. Never had any issues except for the 2 way remote having the battery tab break off when I replaced a battery. I did a lot of micro/macro soldering in the military so for me it was an easy fix, but for others most would have to resort to buying a new 2 way remote. Anyways, I started to have problems with the tilt sensor as it would start to give me false readings/chirps/alarms/etc...

I have since then upgraded and spent a little bit more money on the the Scorpio SR-i900R and definitely wish I would've done it from the get go. I am now looking at upgrading again to their rLink model that has GPS tracking (requires a monthly/yearly data service premium after the first year). I am on the fence on whether to do it or not and I don't think I will since I moved away from Tucson, and bike theft here in North Dakota isn't as big as an issue. But if it is in your area, you may want to invest in it. There is a reason the Gorilla is cheaper... you get what you pay for.

But definitely, if you can afford to upgrade, go ahead and do it. If not, then continue to use other layers of security on top of the Gorilla alarm and you'll be okay until you can upgrade. Which you should be doing anyways... Personally, I run my Scorpio alarm, lock the steering column, have a Xena 120db disc lock on the front rotor between the fork and caliper, another Xena 120db disc lock on the rear, a thick cable lock I string the rear wheel up through the swing arm and my Sato rear hooks, as well as an H-Base lock for my front wheel and another H-Base lock for my rear. Overkill? Yeah... but I sleep easy at night knowing someone is going to have to try to overcome 7 different security solutions on the bike alone, not mentioning breaking into my garage and not set off those alarms or set off both proximity sensors on my two way vehicle alarms where my bike is strategically parked in between.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was seriously considering that Scorpio alarm before I got this one and now I'm wishing I would've gotten it... I don't have much of a bike theft issue around here but I do live in an apartment and that's what worries me is because some kids already pushed the bike over once :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts