Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because I got nailed pretty nicely by a truck from behind today in my car...friggin head is killing me right now...

It was funny...as soon as the guy hit me the first thing that popped into my head was what kind of shape I and the bike would have been in if I was riding it...the guys brakes gave out completely...the cops confirmed it on scene...some bad luck...

75 year old guy was driving the truck...everything was pretty calm until the cops tried to explain to the old feller that it was his fault and that he would be charged for driving an unsafe vehicle...he just could't seem to get his head around the fact that it was still considered his fault even though his brakes failed...it was pretty funny...for a second there I thought the cop was going to be receiving a 75 year old judo chop :) At first he seemed like a sweet old man but then he snapped and the fangs came out towards the end :)

Good times...

Cheers

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DJL said:
...because I got nailed pretty nicely by a truck from behind today in my car...friggin head is killing me right now...

It was funny...as soon as the guy hit me the first thing that popped into my head was what kind of shape I and the bike would have been in if I was riding it...the guys brakes gave out completely...the cops confirmed it on scene...some bad luck...

75 year old guy was driving the truck...everything was pretty calm until the cops tried to explain to the old feller that it was his fault and that he would be charged for driving an unsafe vehicle...he just could't seem to get his head around the fact that it was still considered his fault even though his brakes failed...it was pretty funny...for a second there I thought the cop was going to be receiving a 75 year old judo chop :) At first he seemed like a sweet old man but then he snapped and the fangs came out towards the end :)

Good times...

Cheers
Where you at a signal/stop light? If so, in a chain of cars or in the front?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad to hear you (and your bike) are ok.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bluedevil said:
Where you at a signal/stop light? If so, in a chain of cars or in the front?
I was stopped in traffic on a busy road....I wasn't right at a light but was essentially stopped due to a light further up the road that everyone was queued up on. If he had hit me a second and a half earlier I would have piled up onto a guy in front of me who had just pulled away..it was close...

I suspect his truck will be written off...surprisingly my Honda Accord didn't seem to take on too much damage overall...back bumper, light, trunk, paint, etc...

Cheers

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
speedfreak said:
Glad to hear you (and your bike) are ok.
Thanks man...I think I'm fine other than a bit of a headache...neck is a tad stiff but almost nothing to even talk about...

Cheers

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DJL said:
I was stopped in traffic on a busy road....I wasn't right at a light but was essentially stopped due to a light further up the road that everyone was queued up on. If he had hit me a second and a half earlier I would have piled up onto a guy in front of me who had just pulled away..it was close...

I suspect his truck will be written off...surprisingly my Honda Accord didn't seem to take on too much damage overall...back bumper, light, trunk, paint, etc...

Cheers

The reason I ask is because I worry about that same thing. I got hit from behind in my car like you when stoped...but I always go to the front of the line if you will(split the stoped cars) in traffic on my bike. Sounds like your saying you would have been in the same spot if you were on your bike and would have been hit. :dontknow: but if so good Idea to be to one extreme of the lane on you bike or go to the front for that very reason. I even had one situation where I was at a light and the driver behind did not even realize I was stoped for the red light, but because I was over to the far left he was able to stop right next to me but not hit me because of the room I gave for that very reason.

Anyway, glad your allright but don't be surprised in a day or 2 if your back starts hurting, it did for me I think it was whip lash :badteeth:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bluedevil said:
The reason I ask is because I worry about that same thing. I got hit from behind in my car like you when stoped...but I always go to the front of the line if you will(split the stoped cars) in traffic on my bike. Sounds like your saying you would have been in the same spot if you were on your bike and would have been hit. :dontknow: but if so good Idea to be to one extreme of the lane on you bike or go to the front for that very reason. I even had one situation where I was at a light and the driver behind did not even realize I was stoped for the red light, but because I was over to the far left he was able to stop right next to me but not hit me because of the room I gave for that very reason.

Anyway, glad your allright but don't be surprised in a day or 2 if your back starts hurting, it did for me I think it was whip lash :badteeth:
Lane splitting here in Ontario, Canada is illegal. Your point of being to one extreme side of the lane is a good one and something that I do try to do...but you know...obviously not full proof, but it certainly increases your chances of coming out okay I think...better than doing nothing that's for damn sure...

Cheers

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DJL said:
Lane splitting here in Ontario, Canada is illegal. Your point of being to one extreme side of the lane is a good one and something that I do try to do...but you know...obviously not full proof, but it certainly increases your chances of coming out okay I think...better than doing nothing that's for damn sure...

Cheers
I didn't know that, lane splitting in cali is legal(at certain conditions)...the police do it all the time in traffic and I even follow them right to the front and never had any issues with them or even cops in cars.

Cheers, ride safe :beer:

·
Registered
696 Posts
bluedevil said:
This exact thing happened to me after I got hit from behind by a drunk driver (f'in kids!!). I didn't realize my back (around the shoulder blade) was so messed up until a day or two after the accident. Not sure why that is. Took several weeks of seeing a back doctor to straightened it out and even to this day I still got a twinge there.

And let's not even talk about what would have happened if you were on the bike when this happened. It's stories like these that keep me extra alert when stopping in traffic on the 10. One good smack from behind and that'll be all she wrote! :pale:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Being hit from behind is always my biggest fear. While its not technically legal to lane split here its not technically illegal either.. What I do do though is if I'm on a dual lane road thats too narrow to split I line myself up on the white line of whichever lane has the least traffic - that way i should have a stationary car either on the left or right. I then watch my mirrors and if it comes to it I can hit the gap between two cars and not get squished.

Scariest moment for me. Pile up on the highway right infront of me... I lane split between the moving traffic and the stationary crashed ones. The car that was behind me hit the car that had been infront of me if I hadn't split. Since then I have been paranoid... I would have been jam!

Just had a second thought... Not sure as to the police presence there but I do 5kph more than the traffic at all times as I think its safer to not have people coming up on you from behind and also I think its safer to keep moving in the flow then to have a car next to you for an extended period of time without you making sure he knows you're there. I do this knowing I will end up speeding alot of the time and I'm willing to pay the fine associated with it... There is that option to you for lane splitting?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It happened to me about 4 years ago. In rush hour everybody was stopping in a specific exit in the highway and I was in line also. A cargo van just didnt stop and ended rear ending my car. Worst thing is that I could see in the mirror that he was not stopping but couldnt do nothing because there were cars stopped in front on me. I only had time to stand on the brakes so the car wont go foward so much in the impact and put my right hand over my wife in a reaction trying to protect her. I went to court and got some money from the insurance but it can never repay the 2 discs in my back that have been affected to this day. At first it was only the whiplash and some pain , but it grew on even with therapy to this day.Theres always the excuse , "my brakes failed" - but its not real, he just wasnt looking as I could confirm when I looked to the rear in the mirror.

Lane splitting is not legal where I live ,but everyone who have a motorcyle does it,- even the police. I preffer to pay the fine and be alive than waiting in line the next 75 year old that just didnt see me or the next one that was talking on the phone, putting make up ,forgetting to brake,etc. I lost a friend at my job because he was waiting in the red line at 3 am in his Harley and there where this kids that were road racing and just didnt have time to stop when they saw him.

Good to know you are ok....get therapy ,...stay safe, buy some bright color reflective riding gear, split the line,pay the fine and continue to enjoy riding. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The old man in your story reminds me of an accident I was involved in. Some woman pulled out in front of me and I stood on the brakes but T-boned her anyway. We were both OK but her car was really smashed in. So she calls her grandfather for a ride. When he arrives, the woman and I are relating our story to the LEO. Ol' Gramps marches up and starts insisting that I recieve the ticket because he can just tell that I was speeding. There is no way, in his mind, that his granddaughter's car could recieve that much damage if I were going the speed limit. He gets all over this cop until the cop gets pissed and tells the old fart to STFU and stand far away. In the mean time, my cousin shows up with his wrecker to tow the chick's car. As the old man is standing there watching, I told my cousin that it was an awsome wreck and I must have been doing twice the speed limit. Of course it had the desired effect. The old dude went ballistic and jumped all over the cop again and almost got arrested. The cop caught on when he saw me and my cousin laughing, so he came over and admonished my behavior, but you could tell the LEO was at least a little amused. I know I was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts