Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started racing my 06 10R last year. I had what I thought was a pretty good geometry setup for me. I put an Ohlins on the rear and kept the stock front suspension. I got the suspension tuned and it felt pretty good. It was pretty stiff though. Even so I improved throughout the year. Over the winter I had my front suspension reworked and also wanted to get some maintenance on the rear. The guys who rebuilt my front said the stock springs wer actually too stiff. They put softer springs in. I weigh 195 without gear. On the rear they loosened the collar so the spring would give me a bit softer ride. I then got the suspension tuned. This helped quite a bit and let me drop a couple of seconds off my last years times. I then went to -1, +2 and lengthened the wheel base a 1/2 in. I then raised the rear by 1mm. The bike is wicked awesome to ride now. I dropped another second off my lap times. And I could go faster if I had the stones for it. :badteeth:

So as others have said previously. If you are going to put money into anything on these bikes put it into your suspension first. Also the added wheelbase length has really helped with corner exits. The bike just digs in and takes off, no dramatics.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

My '06 setup will prolly be more painful ...regarding suspensions I see

2 stages:

* initial setup: oem rims w/Diablo Supercorsas, Ohlins 25 mm kit and

Penske 3 clicks w/custom spring, set SAGs and get some track time..

** replace Oem rims w/Marchesini's mag. 16"1/2 ....(waited almost 4

months for these.... :badteeth:) + Pirelli slicks.

Will carefully measure both rear wheels height and go from there..

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
When I installed the Ohlins forks and rear shock. My lap times dropped alot. Also added 5mm of rideheight to the rear. Dropped 15mm on the front triple. And kept my wheelbase short. Bike now flicks thru corners.
Running on Diablo Supercorsa Pros. These tyres will allow you to crack throttle earlier, harder, longer. Superb rubbers.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am currently running Pirelli Slicks. I race at WSIR. So the bike doesn't need to be super flickable. But does need to be stable on acceleration out of the corners. I wish I could afford some nice forged rims and a full front brake system. But I can't at this point in time. If I had the cash I would go for the brakes first.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've just been reading an interesting book on the British Superbike series, covering the 07 season. One of the two Kawasaki teams noted that they'd extended the swingarm by 35mm, which IIRC helped get more weight over the front. If I remember I'll transcribe the salient part of the text tonight.

Locally I've heard that the key seems to be ride height, but i've yet to get any hard info on it ; I'm planing to get some fairings from the distributor team, so I'll see what I can find out and post the outcome.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I've just been reading an interesting book on the British Superbike series, covering the 07 season. One of the two Kawasaki teams noted that they'd extended the swingarm by 35mm, which IIRC helped get more weight over the front. If I remember I'll transcribe the salient part of the text tonight.

Locally I've heard that the key seems to be ride height, but i've yet to get any hard info on it ; I'm planing to get some fairings from the distributor team, so I'll see what I can find out and post the outcome.

Cheers,
Brian
One of primary reason for extending the swingarm. is that when you brake hard and the front still loses traction from the bike pushing thru and not down on the front tyre. Thus they have to lower the front to give it more weight bias, thus aid braking and front traction. This shortens wheelbase and therefore longer swingarm is needed. This is exactly what happened to Rossi's Yamaha.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
813 Posts
One of primary reason for extending the swingarm. is that when you brake hard and the front still loses traction from the bike pushing thru and not down on the front tyre. Thus they have to lower the front to give it more weight bias, thus aid braking and front traction. This shortens wheelbase and therefore longer swingarm is needed. This is exactly what happened to Rossi's Yamaha.:thumbsup:
Yes, the book does mention putting more weight on the front, in addition to the obvious benefit of reducing wheelying.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Cheers,
Brian
Wow, 35mm is a lot. Interesting though. This means I should have added even more length to my chain but I don't think my chain adjustment would let me put the wheel that far back. I would probably need a new swingarm.

As far as ride height is concerned. You can go too far with rear ride height. I ran the Dunlops 209's once. The bike was very unstable at high speed, kinda scary. I found out this was due to the 209 tire already being tall then growing even taller when at speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts