Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking with a local suspension expert and he had some pearls of wisdom I would like to share with the forum.

Basically he does not think you should pop wheelies for what they do to the handeling charateristics of the bike * Frame and other alignment*

in his words " Leave the wheelies to bikes that can take it "

It makes sense considering that these machines are built as light as possible and that Alignment is key for handeling.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
CMG said:
I was talking with a local suspension expert and he had some pearls of wisdom I would like to share with the forum.

Basically he does not think you should pop wheelies for what they do to the handeling charateristics of the bike * Frame and other alignment*

in his words " Leave the wheelies to bikes that can take it "

It makes sense considering that these machines are built as light as possible and that Alignment is key for handeling.

Thoughts ?
Edit: They are built light but are built very stiff

I think repeated heavy landings will bust things - ie dint your head races but if small setdowns wrecked the allignment then the twisting caused by heavy breaking would kill them...

Under heavy breaking your forks flex enough to change the charaterics of the front suspension. On older bikes there was enough bend to stop the forks working altogether... I think the forces there have to exceed the occasional wheelie (wheelie's at least act predmoniately in the direction a fork moves) and certainly last a much longer time.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
....................sure continuous impact is gonna take its toll on something but het for the guys who wanna wheelie it's just part of life. I learnt on a older heavy bike and learning isn't always kind to the bike. Later smoother wheelies with smooth landings make the poor previous bikes life worthwhile................well for me at least. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts