Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an appointment on FEB 7th to run my bike on a dyno and get a custom tune. I have a full Leo Vance SBK exhaust with carbon muffler, BMC street filter, pair mod and PCV. I am stoked as this will be the first time this place has EVER run an import, let alone a sportbike on their dyno. This place has always been a hard core Harley and custom shop but as time has gone by, the owner and the new dyno guy have been talking and are opening up to our style of bikes. They are both excited as well, as the dyno guy has done some sportbikes where he worked before but mostly has done Harley/custom and Buell. We will see what happens on Monday as it will be fun I am sure. I will be right there with him helping out, he knows his dyno and I know my bike, so together I think we can really get this done.....by the way....what's an "ECU"......LMAO....JK I'll post up the numbers when done and also if anyone else is interested, I will share my map. If this works out then I will be getting my 636 done at this place as well and it will open up my area as the only place for custom tune on sportbikes withen 200 miles.

The only question I do have (without digging into the service manual) is the tuner wasn't sure which wire off the ECU is the ignition pickup, is it a brown wire, pink, or another color????

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Nice good luck! The constant wire for the coils is a Red wire.

Coil 1 has a BK wire
Coil 2 has a BK/G wire
Coil 3 has a BK/W wire
Coil 4 has a BK/O wire

He should tune for 12.8-13.2 range which will make good power.

Once he is all said and done on getting max power out of the dyno you should ask him to richen the top end of the tune up as ram air will lean the bike out on the street.

I have seen up to a .4-.5 difference in air fuel coming straight off the dyno onto the street. so When you tuned for 13.1 on the dyno on the street your near 13.5-13.6:1 if that makes sense to ya.

Good luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice good luck! The constant wire for the coils is a Red wire.

Coil 1 has a BK wire
Coil 2 has a BK/G wire
Coil 3 has a BK/W wire
Coil 4 has a BK/O wire

He should tune for 12.8-13.2 range which will make good power.

Once he is all said and done on getting max power out of the dyno you should ask him to richen the top end of the tune up as ram air will lean the bike out on the street.

I have seen up to a .4-.5 difference in air fuel coming straight off the dyno onto the street. so When you tuned for 13.1 on the dyno on the street your near 13.5-13.6:1 if that makes sense to ya.

Good luck!
Awesome, thanks Garth. I am really excited about this tune for some reason, not sure if it's the fact of tuning this bike or the fact that this will be the first time a sportbike has been run on this dyno.....lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I have an appointment on FEB 7th to run my bike on a dyno and get a custom tune. I have a full Leo Vance SBK exhaust with carbon muffler, BMC street filter, pair mod and PCV. I am stoked as this will be the first time this place has EVER run an import, let alone a sportbike on their dyno. This place has always been a hard core Harley and custom shop but as time has gone by, the owner and the new dyno guy have been talking and are opening up to our style of bikes. They are both excited as well, as the dyno guy has done some sportbikes where he worked before but mostly has done Harley/custom and Buell. We will see what happens on Monday as it will be fun I am sure. I will be right there with him helping out, he knows his dyno and I know my bike, so together I think we can really get this done.....by the way....what's an "ECU"......LMAO....JK I'll post up the numbers when done and also if anyone else is interested, I will share my map. If this works out then I will be getting my 636 done at this place as well and it will open up my area as the only place for custom tune on sportbikes withen 200 miles.

The only question I do have (without digging into the service manual) is the tuner wasn't sure which wire off the ECU is the ignition pickup, is it a brown wire, pink, or another color????
I have never had a bike tuned. But if my tuner was asking me which wire he should tie in to, I think I would find me another tuner. Seriously, can a Harley tuner get the most out of your bike?:heyyou:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have never had a bike tuned. But if my tuner was asking me which wire he should tie in to, I think I would find me another tuner. Seriously, can a Harley tuner get the most out of your bike?:heyyou:
He has tuned other sportbikes at his previous job but never tuned a Kawi, He has also tuned plenty of Buells too. I was trained on the Dyno when I went to school, as long as you have the program and the right probes, your good to go...air/fuel adjustments are the same for anything.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, Phoenix back in 1998-1999, Honda, Kawi and Dyno Cert. then got a job at a dealership and became Mercruiser, Sea Doo, Ski Doo, Yamaha, Suzuki and Polaris cert.

·
Registered
212 Posts
He has tuned other sportbikes at his previous job but never tuned a Kawi, He has also tuned plenty of Buells too. I was trained on the Dyno when I went to school, as long as you have the program and the right probes, your goo to go...air/fuel adjustments are the same for anything.
He doesn't know which wire to tie in to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
He doesn't know which wire to tie in to.

Good luck.
How many bikes have you tuned or worked on? I can tell you from exp. that each manufacturer wiring harness has different colors for what the wires do and some even have different colors for different years and models of bikes. On the Buell bikes the ignition pickup wire is pink, someone told me on the 1st Gen ZX10R the wire is Brown. So can you tell me which wire to tie into on a 2006 GSXR100R or how about a 2010 CBR1000? He doesn't have the manual for the bike until I show up with it and I didn't have the manual with me at work when I created this thread. I guess it comes down to this...if you don't know what your talking about or have something to say that is relivent to this thread then just read and learn until you can offer something more then inexperience and stupid little comments.

Oh and thanks and have a nice day:loser::thefinger:thumbsup::wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
How many bikes have you tuned or worked on? I can tell you from exp. that each manufacturer wiring harness has different colors for what the wires do and some even have different colors for different years and models of bikes. On the Buell bikes the ignition pickup wire is pink, someone told me on the 1st Gen ZX10R the wire is Brown. So can you tell me which wire to tie into on a 2006 GSXR100R or how about a 2010 CBR1000? He doesn't have the manual for the bike until I show up with it and I didn't have the manual with me at work when I created this thread. I guess it comes down to this...if you don't know what your talking about or have something to say that is relivent to this thread then just read and learn until you can offer something more then inexperience and stupid little comments.

Oh and thanks and have a nice day:loser::thefinger:thumbsup::wink:
Why don't you go to hell, you goddamn idiot.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
ITs going to vary from bike to bike from year to year, I doubt any tuner knows exactly which wire to tap into on every single bike, he might know a handful but doubt they can know them all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ITs going to vary from bike to bike from year to year, I doubt any tuner knows exactly which wire to tap into on every single bike, he might know a handful but doubt they can know them all.
Exactly what I was saying, thanks Garth.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3 days till the big day....gonna be good to blow up that Harley Dyno with some real numbers

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can you explain what exactly you're talking about here? Is the ignition pickup similar to a TPS tap that I've performed on GSXRs. Looking at the PCV instructions, it looked 100% plug n' play. Not trying to hijack your thread...just trying to follow along, that's all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you explain what exactly you're talking about here? Is the ignition pickup similar to a TPS tap that I've performed on GSXRs. Looking at the PCV instructions, it looked 100% plug n' play. Not trying to hijack your thread...just trying to follow along, that's all.
The PCV IS plug and play but hooking the dyno up to the bike is not if you don't know which wire is the ignition pickup/constant wire.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Ign pick up is for measuring tq right? My bike if I remember correctly was setup for an a/f ratio of 13.2 and the highest hp pull was 175std. It's very smooth, I also live near sea level' and the dyno was pretty much at sea level. I don't know much in this area but hopefully that helps you out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The PCV IS plug and play but hooking the dyno up to the bike is not if you don't know which wire is the ignition pickup/constant wire.
Do you have a pic of the wire or could you point it out on the schematic?
I am gonna be in the same boat as you when I see the tuner in a few weeks, so i want to make sure I know what wire you are talking about. Please post up your results after the tuning is done.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts