Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the local strip which is also the road course for the first time. I'll be taking my 05 636. I don't launch normally but would like some tips to improve quickly.

My but outs are terrible but hopefully the water box fixes that issue. I also know to feather the clutch not throttle.

Do you guys load the rear suspension or no? Just looking for a couple of dos and don'ts to make the most of it. Perhaps this can be a sticky.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
how are you setting the bike up? low or strap or anything? drop the tire pressure a little bit, if youre not stretched you probably wont have to worry much about traction. If you can get it, strap the front down and lower the rear. The 6 isnt gonna try and wheelie as hard as the 10 does, but still be prepared. Start at the lower RPMs and work your way up. Try launching from 5k and practice keeping it at 5k while youre launching. You want to be dialing in more throttle as quickly as you can. Control the RPMs with the clutch, not the throttle. If youre comfortable with it, do a quick spin of the tire to throw off the dirt and crap. Also, go around the waterbox, not through it. When youre coming up to the line, put your weight over the tank as best as you can.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If you wet the rear tire prior to burn-out, make sure you burn off all the moisture...My first time at the strip with my 636, that's what i did, or should i say didn't do, and it made for quite the launch with a slick rear tire, luckily i didn't go 100% first run

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
so did you go yet?

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went but it was shut down due to rain. It'll be open again on Saturday but I don't know if i'll be able to go until tomorrow. The 6R is setup for aggressive road riding/trackdays. Tire pressure is 32 front and rear with michelin power pures. Bike is dialed in for my weigh but again for road racing.

Regards to the water box I'm guessing go around and back in?

I'm not taking the 10R as I can power wheelie that fucker in 4th gear at over 250kph without trying. I'm surprised I've never gotten a tank slapper but I do get a lot of wheel wiggle when she lifts unlike the 6R.

Thanks for the info guys, if and when I go I will have video.

Body position I've seen a lot of grudge racing videos and gathered a lot. Regards to feet position from the line is it better to have them up front or far behind as I see different riders do a lot, or is it personal preference?

I could get over the wind screen if I wanted to is it worth it or no?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
go around the water box and back in. you wont even really need the water box either though. have you done a burnout before, on purpose?

legs dangling helps to keep weight over the rear tire for traction. can be personal preference where you actually position them. I just find a way that makes me comfortable and just roll into the staging lights.

dont put your head oveer the windscreen like that. youll create a lot of extra drag. try to just tuck as much as you can.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried doing a burn out a couple times like less than 3 some worked and others didn't. How important is a burnout on semi street tires? My goal is to get at least into the mid 11s the first day. I know the bike can do a mid 10.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
You won't need to burnout at all until you get your tired loaded with VHT. When I was SWB I only burned out every 2-3 passes to get the junk off the tire. No problems with wheel spin.

As mentioned earlier, go around and back into it so you keep your front tire dry. Washing out at the end isn't pretty.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You won't need to burnout at all until you get your tired loaded with VHT. When I was SWB I only burned out every 2-3 passes to get the junk off the tire. No problems with wheel spin.

As mentioned earlier, go around and back into it so you keep your front tire dry. Washing out at the end isn't pretty.
I've already done that at a track day going in hard from 240kph only to hit oil. Not something I want to repeat so thanks.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I've tried doing a burn out a couple times like less than 3 some worked and others didn't. How important is a burnout on semi street tires? My goal is to get at least into the mid 11s the first day. I know the bike can do a mid 10.
In my experience the Burnout is based on the many factors like the track conditions the bikes setup like how long, tire used and suspension setup. For me I don't mess with my suspension much and over many years most of my track runs are on a NON Prepped track so that can be scary launching a 54" 156hp bike with not much lowering in the front and no attention to the suspension but survived so far :badteeth: I will look at those things soon.........but the main thing for me that helped just these last few months is a great tire that can handle a bad or even prepped track makes a world of difference if not for confidence alone to launch a little harder....for example with my setup now I fell I don't need to hardly do any burnout my main problems is suspension now bike squats so much when I hit it from the start. :badteeth:

What is your rider weight makes a BIG Difference...raced a 600 last month guy was real light weight not scared to launch a bike hit 11.1s (said he also got into the 10s before) stock height on a HONDA 600 and he is getting ready to get a 1000cc HONDA I told him he should be faster than me very soon when he gets the 1000. :badteeth:

bloo

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm about 198lbs suited. Suspension is setup for me but for trackdays/fast road. Tires are michelin power pures. I normally run 32 psi front and rear.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
My limited experience has been that on a stock wheelbase bike that isn't lowered, with DOT (ex) roadrace tires, you don't need a burnout because spinning the tire off the start is the least of your worries. If you start getting wheelspin then you know what to do next.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
If you are on a 600, and stock wheel base you do not need to do a burn out at all.. And the fact you are on a 600 you don't have to worry about wheelies. Now with that bein said when you do go out there you'll find that you can leave really hard off the line without it really wheeling. even if it is stock height.. And another thing that will make you a little faster is do what I call power shifting. I don't know if you already do or if you have a quick shifter on it disreguard. But instead of letting of throttle to shift, leave it wide open and pull the clutch in as fast as possible shift and back out, you do this fast enough you will just bounce off the rev limiter once. Doing this put me from 11.0's to 10.90's first try. It will help:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts