Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Things I taught myself about Jennings GP:
• Personal best time 1:31
• Track Record 1:18
• Experts average 1:21

My Question(s)

How do you get to the next level? (Especially when the equipment can’t be used as a defense)

What one thing clicked and made all the difference?

Should I find a racing school and start there?

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
I'm gunna say time on the track. The more time you spend the faster you will become. Have your suspension dialed in and talk to the fast guys and vendors about what their running ie tire pressure suspension settings geometry ect. Schools are great and everything but nothing replaces time in the saddle.

I'm assuming you have a well sorted bike since you said equipment can't be an excuse.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Reasoning)
You can ask a faster rider to show you the correct line but at a point you’re doing to have to own it. Does that mean you have to crash to learn to go faster? Reference points are good but Racing is the testing of that point and how far over the edge you and the equipment are capable of going.

I believe in owning the moment, so when my equipment is being raced by a more experienced rider that is able to start last in the expert mock race and peck off individuals one by one to challenge for the Lead. I would say the bike is not the weak like in the formula.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Things I taught myself about Jennings GP:
• Personal best time 1:31
• Track Record 1:18
• Experts average 1:21

My Question(s)

How do you get to the next level? (Especially when the equipment can’t be used as a defense)

What one thing clicked and made all the difference?

Should I find a racing school and start there?

I think you go to the next level whenever you're ready. Seat time. I'd rather be the slow advanced guy than the quick guy in intermediate. It's not some magic black and white transition. You can always try a session in the fast group and test the waters.

In the fast group people are smoother and more predictable. Following those guys can be a good lesson. I was facing your exact question this season - I tried the advanced group toward the end of this season and do not think I want to go back to the intermediate group where the skill level spread is almost scary lol. I was one of the slower guys out there, but with predictable lines, the fast guys had no trouble going around me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rgprestige15 :notworthy:

Thanks I guess that's the root of the question I'm I fast enough to be that slow guy in the advanced group. Work on the proper line and I bet the speed will come.

The trashing my buddy put on the my bike was flippin awesome, I think in was only the 2nd time he rode my bike and it was gp shifted which his uses standard shift. I will go over the bike this winter with plans for April 2015. I'm only missing a link pipe and quick shift to be complete.

The Times will drop and the fun won't stop so I won't quit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started track days at Jennings when I was stationed in GA. My best there was a 1:26.2 but I was always in intermediate. If you're comfortable with fast guys around you, the best way to get better is trying to follow faster riders

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
One thing that helped me was to follow someone running laps 2 to 4 seconds a lap faster and try and keep up. I ran my fastest times that way. Obviously someone 10 seconds a lap faster is going to leave you but just a few seconds faster forces you to keep up. I learned where I could be faster that way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
you will need to be evaluated by the track day organization staff to be upgraded to any class. to be upgraded to advanced, you will know the lines, are predictable, and can maintain a speed equivalent to the groups speed, and be comfortable both in close passing and passing close all while riding safely within your limits.

in my humble opinion, if you are still working on lines and speed, grab a track coach, and ask for one on one help, and evaluation for the next level group.

it is a recipe for disaster to bump yourself up. some track day orgs, if they find you bumped up, and cannot back up your claims, and safety on the track, will sit you down, up to and including not letting you ride with any group for that day, or suspending you from further riding with the org.

your results may vary. Ski

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
One thing that helped me was to follow someone running laps 2 to 4 seconds a lap faster and try and keep up. I ran my fastest times that way. Obviously someone 10 seconds a lap faster is going to leave you but just a few seconds faster forces you to keep up. I learned where I could be faster that way.
^This 100000%

Someone slightly faster to push your limits but not enough to make you ride over your head will help you gain speed.

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
you will need to be evaluated by the track day organization staff to be upgraded to any class. to be upgraded to advanced, you will know the lines, are predictable, and can maintain a speed equivalent to the groups speed, and be comfortable both in close passing and passing close all while riding safely within your limits.

in my humble opinion, if you are still working on lines and speed, grab a track coach, and ask for one on one help, and evaluation for the next level group.

it is a recipe for disaster to bump yourself up. some track day orgs, if they find you bumped up, and cannot back up your claims, and safety on the track, will sit you down, up to and including not letting you ride with any group for that day, or suspending you from further riding with the org.

your results may vary. Ski
I was going to mention something earlier about different organization polices. I've personally had many close calls with people who shouldn't be in the fast group. Some Orgs will kick em some won't.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nick name for the intermediate group in always the most favorable, and on any given Track day that can be proven. The idea or10r mentioned about follow a faster rider is broader line, you're so likely to to fixate on them more than the line.

I can conclude that after today's input I'm out to enjoy myself while at a track day, Personal Bests will come, however I'll only enjoy it if I ride at a pace that is capable it lap on any given trackday.

The limitation is to fold between intermediate and Expert
1st my gearing is only -1 in the front and stock 42 in the rear.
2nd I scrub to much of my speed off entry to Turn 1

I'm sure the next session will been about more, I'm sure of that.

Thanks for all the input it has been appreciated.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
tazman, I'm not sure, but we may have been at the same track day at Jennings about three years ago. I am on a blue FZR400 which goes backwards on straightaways compared to newer/bigger bikes. It would have been late February, and if memory serves, we had one decent day, one rainy day, and one dreadful cold wet day (we left for home early). That was my first time at that track, and I probably went in the intermediate group because of slow bike and not knowing the track. I never really found a line that I was happy with through the series of kinks near corner 5 ...

A few of us are thinking about going again this year around the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts