Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all.....I know this topic has been beaten and bloodied and yes I know how to use the search button, but the problem persists and has gotten worse and worse over time.

I have tried:
Rubber tub around the key - no help
Verified that it's not the gas cap
Verified that it's not the brake line bracket (removed it anyway when I installed braided lines)
I've even had the shear bolts to the ignition drilled out and replaced under warranty.
I've even tried zip tying the freakin' ignition to the triple tree. That seems to help, but 1) it looks like crap and 2) doens't totally eliminate the problem.

None of this has helped and I'm at a loss. The ignition is still loose in the housing even with the replacement bolts. The buzz is STRONG and steady from about 3.5 rpms to 5 rpms and it's driving me NUTS. So nuts I'm about to ditch the bike over it. Don't get me wrong. I love this bike. Out of the 10 that I've owned it's my favorite so far. So.....I'm gonna ditch it or I'm going to do something about it and now before I take a hammer to it. There's really only a couple of things now that I can think of to do. Epoxy the freakin thing so it never moves again (which I'd rather not do) or drill out the new shear bolts, replace them with normal bolts and take it from there to get it tight.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I understand it drives you crazy that kind of shit!
1. did you check all the hose connections? from air box to injection line for example? not even one must missing!
2. Did you inspect the small filter for fuel into the tanK. If the bike is not really new, some particles are finishing by obstruate.
3. I guess you inspected already the sparks
4. There one thing and I do not how to say it in english but there is a small box in the trunck which is a security for extreme leaning, it cuts the ignition. The purpose of that crap is when our bike fall down the floor, it cuts the ignition to avoid your bike becoming a piece of coal... Anyway sometimes and if the bike has fallen already the beam or the swing arm there is inside this small box I am talking about can be no more adjusted into the right place.... It can provoke some cutting at the ignition too...

But for me your problem is coming from the fuel arrival and/or the airbox

Do you have a PCIII or a something of that kind?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I understand it drives you crazy that kind of shit!
1. did you check all the hose connections? from air box to injection line for example? not even one must missing!
2. Did you inspect the small filter for fuel into the tanK. If the bike is not really new, some particles are finishing by obstruate.
3. I guess you inspected already the sparks
4. There one thing and I do not how to say it in english but there is a small box in the trunck which is a security for extreme leaning, it cuts the ignition. The purpose of that crap is when our bike fall down the floor, it cuts the ignition to avoid your bike becoming a piece of coal... Anyway sometimes and if the bike has fallen already the beam or the swing arm there is inside this small box I am talking about can be no more adjusted into the right place.... It can provoke some cutting at the ignition too...

But for me your problem is coming from the fuel arrival and/or the airbox

Do you have a PCIII or a something of that kind?
What are you talking about????????????????????????????? He's is talking about an annoying buzzing sound not ignition cut!!!!!!!

Have you tried some felt tape under the upper windscreen cowl where it mounts to the fairing bracket. I noticed on my 05 that was where the annoying buzz was coming from.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just got a call from my dealer today and they are going to give me a new key set under warrenty because of that same buzz, I had to bitch to them 3 times but out of the blue they are taking care of me go talk to your dealer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same problem and have tried all those things. I have come to the conclusion that it is inside the ignition switch.
perhaps...I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. Called my dealer again yesterday and now they won't touch the iginition again under warranty because they already did once. Nice. I'm at a total loss here. The buzzing has gotten so bad I can even hear it with earplugs in and over my leo exhaust. This is one serious piece of crap ignition I must admit. What the hell happened here? It's such a fabulous bike....sucks that something so potentially simple is so f-d up. I just don't know if I've got the desire to spend the money to replace the ignition switch out of pocket for a man. defect. :protest:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yea, I'm getting the same shit buzz now too. Yesterday I really notice it and thought I'd best get on the hunt for where it is coming from.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
Here is a solution that will work %100:

iPod

·
Registered
229 Posts
:+1:
I would call kawasaki direct.... like a 800 number and open a complaint with them they should work with you and the dealer to fix the problem... I would sure think...
they know there is a problem because they told my local dealer to give me a new keyset. I had given up on my dealer, bike had not been in for 3 weeks and out of the blue they called me and told me to drop off mhy bike and they were going to retorque my motor mounts and put in a new key set:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
229 Posts
it is terrible I have a full beet system and it still buzzes over my exhaust really loud

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright....gotta try the paper thing now between the tree and the ignition....be back. Still seems so damn silly...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well....the paper thing didn't help. Not really surprised I must admit though. It's just not enought to totally immobilize the unit.

I went a little drastic and ripped apart the whole front end last night. In my frustration and a flashlight late last night I notived that there is VERY little space at the back of the ignition switch between it and the triple tree. I could only have seen it with the front end cowling totally ripped off due to the angle. I squeezed some paper in between both sides of the ignition where in makes contact with the triple tree. Now I've got to put the front end back together and go for a ride. We'll see if this helps. I think it might actually since I didn't realize how close these two pieces of metal were at the back of the unit. :dontknow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay....finally all buttoned back up. Took me longer than usual due to dealing with the kids. Will post result tomorrow after my ride. Didn't get out today. Too much work to do! ....which really sucks, because damn it was so nice here in Sonoma....oh well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts