Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I please get some feedback from ya...Lookin to install a Go Pro on the bike for some rides and track days...Id prefer the ones that records out the front and capture the instrument gauge as well...does anyone have this set up and can ya share which mount and camera works best ? Thank you for the feedback

·
Registered
966 Posts
I haven't uploaded any vids from the new bike but you can see the dash well and it worked great on gen 4 too. I use suction cup and 3 attachments. Buuuut the key is the little piece that stops the shaking, I bought it off motogyrovision.com but the site is down right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...can you tell me which exact go pro model you got , that came with the mounts...maybe Im confused but seems like theres several models out there. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out the GoPro website. The Black produces their highest quality footage. The Silver is second-best. They used to have a White version, which was the lowest. I don't think they make those anymore. Now they have the Session, their cheapest option and lowest quality. It's also significantly smaller.

There are ups and downs for each one. I prefer highest sharpness and picture quality, but it uses a lot of batteries to operate through an entire day.

As for mounting places, it depends. I mount mine to my helmet so it captures everything I see during my commute. Not sure if helmet-mounted hardware is allowed on tracks, though. Most mount their on the tank, looking through the windshield. They make conversion kits to mount it where your mirror would go, too. Swingarm mounts provide a cool angle but ruin your ground clearance in leans.

I've also seen them mounted on top of mirrors or on the tail of the bike, facing backwards to catch those behind you.

Just go on YouTube and look at some footage people have posted. There are thousands of videos for you to reference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it varies between models, but they do come with a couple standard mounting plates and extensions. One of the plates is for curved surfaces. They use an adhesive attachment, stays on in extreme outdoor conditions but comes off with a bit of Goo-Gone in a couple minutes and without any residue or damage.

If you want a handlebar or suction cup mount, those are things you'll have to buy separately.

They also come with the standard skeleton housing and a waterproof housing. Some people prefer one over the other, really personal preference... if the location is prone to excessive wind noise, waterproof housing might help soften that so you can hear the engine better. These are things you'll have to experiment with once you get one. I'd also recommend downloading the GoPro mobile app, which allows you to view footage in real-time and makes the mounting and image framing process a lot easier.

One thing you'll definitely need to invest in is a decent memory card and at least one spare battery.

·
Registered
682 Posts
do these mounting brackets come with the camera or do I need to order something special for a Motorcycle?

It will come with a couple adhesive mounts, curved and flat, and a few of the little arms that let you change mount angle etc.

I would recommend getting a "grab bag" of spare pieces for $20 when you buy it, it comes with more knobs/arms/ adhesive mounts.

I also cannot recommend using a suction cup without some kind of a tether to the bike. My old hero 2 went MIA when it fell off my quad in Costa Rica :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mwasse

·
Registered
966 Posts
I would also suggest at least picking up a suction cup, so many uses and gives options for multiple mounting points. They say it's good for 150mph in open wind.
It will come with a couple adhesive mounts, curved and flat, and a few of the little arms that let you change mount angle etc.

I would recommend getting a "grab bag" of spare pieces for $20 when you buy it, it comes with more knobs/arms/ adhesive mounts.

I also cannot recommend using a suction cup without some kind of a tether to the bike. My old hero 2 went MIA when it fell off my quad in Costa Rica :(

The suction cup is only as good as its mounting point. Clean, smooth, non flexing etc. The key to chin rest mount of suction is to be sure the edges of suction cup are flat and not hitting the curves at the edge of the chin mount. If it's hitting it'll leak slowly and fall off eventually. If done correct it will stay indefinitely. We've gone very fast with it on my buddies Ferrari in open air. They put the damn things on wings of planes.. They've recently done runs to 220 on cars at the mile speed events around country too. I'd actually like to see someone tear one of them off a well mounted spot without releasing it. Good luck

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mounting accessories are endless.

I second picking up a "Grab Bag" of mounting stuff.

I seem to keep collecting Go Pro mounts, I've boxes of stuff.

Talking about suction cups mounts.... just got this one the other
day. Very nice. Can stick on front or back of windshield, tank facing forward
or backwards, tail facing forward backwards, etc.

Sticks like crazy and has 3 cups.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XPFH9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mounting accessories are endless.

I second picking up a "Grab Bag" of mounting stuff.

I seem to keep collecting Go Pro mounts, I've boxes of stuff.

Talking about suction cups mounts.... just got this one the other
day. Very nice. Can stick on front or back of windshield, tank facing forward
or backwards, tail facing forward backwards, etc.

Sticks like crazy and has 3 cups.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XPFH9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what i have. But what ive done is removed one pad and fitted a rubber spacer and bolted all the way through it and my top yoke aswell as a custom made plate and its perfect. Although doesnt look pretty.
Youll find that although it works great you cant mount it anywhere else. There is no real surfaces that it will stick to which are much good due to its size.
If its in the tank its a bit too far back to see instruments properly. Plus in uk we cant tabk mount on track days anymore

·
Registered
682 Posts
The suction cup is only as good as its mounting point. Clean, smooth, non flexing etc. The key to chin rest mount of suction is to be sure the edges of suction cup are flat and not hitting the curves at the edge of the chin mount. If it's hitting it'll leak slowly and fall off eventually. If done correct it will stay indefinitely. We've gone very fast with it on my buddies Ferrari in open air. They put the damn things on wings of planes.. They've recently done runs to 220 on cars at the mile speed events around country too. I'd actually like to see someone tear one of them off a well mounted spot without releasing it. Good luck

While my quad fender mount was probably pretty questionable, On another occasion I had it mounted to the flattest spot I could find on my gas tank and lost it at 35 on the way to some twisties. Wrote it off as a fluke, should have learned my lesson. BUT. It's also worth mentioning that the issues I had were with the old hero 2 design, they redesigned with the hero 3 and I have one of those suctions as well. While I've never used without a tether, I've never had an issue with it losing suction or falling off.

Reactions: turtle1000

·
Registered
49 Posts
As others have stated, the suction cup is only as good as the surface it's mounting to. Wind speed alone shouldn't be an issue, but many surfaces will expand, contract, or flex when exposed to extreme changes in temperature or altitude. Here in Arizona, that's a real problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Helmet usually works for a great view also because it moves where your head moves. Your body does a great job a stabilizing things. Sometimes the image will look most stable when attached to your head vs chest or vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.