Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if it is normal for the headers on my new bike to be glowing bright red at lower rpms? The bike has a slip on and a k&n but it doesnt run overly hot around 185 while riding at night. As soon as I get the revs up it goes away so my only guess is that the retarded timing is causing unburnt gas to burn in the headers, causing them to glow??? Does this make any sense? Anyways I just want to make sure Im not gonna destroy my new bike. Thanks in advance for any advise

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds like the bike is running way lean (in other words way to much air not enough fuel) you may want to get a power commander and get it tuned properly to the mods you have done to the bike. It is going to hurt the bike if you don't get this done soon. Especially at any kind of hard or full throttle accleration. And 185 is not a normal cruising temp especially at night im sure its due to how lean the bike is running. For example my bike usually runs around 160-165 at night cruising and 170-175 during the day.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
265 Posts
Could be because its running lean as stated my speedfreak.. I have full akra titanium exhaust on my 08 10r.. My headers glow when I'm cruising around town.. Depending on my RPMs and speed, they'll glow accordingly. I'm running a lil rich so I know I'm not doing any damage. Looks cool though :badteeth:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO ive put all of the stock stuff back on the bike and the headers arent glowing as bad as they were but they are still getting pretty orange. I took it to the Kawi dealership yesterday and they told me that it is normal and that the normal operating temp is 200-220. I know the latter is not true. The bike is still under warantee but they made it pretty clear they arent gonna waste thier time looking at it. So what do i do next?

·
T Double D
870 Posts
i never noticed mine glowing when I had my slip on

·
Registered
513 Posts
SO ive put all of the stock stuff back on the bike and the headers arent glowing as bad as they were but they are still getting pretty orange. I took it to the Kawi dealership yesterday and they told me that it is normal and that the normal operating temp is 200-220. I know the latter is not true. The bike is still under warantee but they made it pretty clear they arent gonna waste thier time looking at it. So what do i do next?
Give kawasaki industires a call and tell them what is happening and at what dealer and see what they will do for you. This is the number I found 949.770.0400 not sure if it's a dealer or one of there main offices.
I personally think that's bullshit that they say 200-220 is normal. Morons!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats exactly what I am saying. He said that there just isnt enough airflow at lower speeds and I told him it was happening at low rpms going 65 in 3rd. He sounded extremely unsure when he told me that it was normal and then when I asked him what the normal running temp was I knew he was lying.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thats exactly what I am saying. He said that there just isnt enough airflow at lower speeds and I told him it was happening at low rpms going 65 in 3rd. He sounded extremely unsure when he told me that it was normal and then when I asked him what the normal running temp was I knew he was lying.
"normal" running temp is hard to define. in texas my bike runs 200-220 all summer :wink:

even on the freeway I can stay around the 180 range depending on what its like outside

not to discount the fact that your bike may be running a bit lean. and if it is that could very likely cause the bike to run a bit warm

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Dude I live in Florida and my bikes average temp on cooler days are 170-185 easy and stopped at a light may flick to 200 max but on hot days running around town its 190-220 easy...I also have mixed in the ice shit so it stays cooler. You cant tell anything to anyone about temp cause you don't know what kind of conditions he has where he is!! Every where is different and a lot comes into play. But regardless of that you need to take a look at getting a bazzaz or pc and tune with that slip on!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can say that because on my 08 the fan kicks on at 202 and never gets any higher than 207 and that's sitting at a light. Rode this weekend and made it a point to look at the temp riding in the middle of the day and it was 168 most of the day. Unless we got into a little traffic and then it would run about 172-178.:dontknow: what to tell you dude.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Dude I live in Florida and my bikes average temp on cooler days are 170-185 easy and stopped at a light may flick to 200 max but on hot days running around town its 190-220 easy...I also have mixed in the ice shit so it stays cooler. You cant tell anything to anyone about temp cause you don't know what kind of conditions he has where he is!! Every where is different and a lot comes into play. But regardless of that you need to take a look at getting a bazzaz or pc and tune with that slip on!!
:+1: the average temp is going to be dependent of the outside temp. Like Zero4o3 said, Texas is hot and my bike runs at the same temps he described.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Give kawasaki industires a call and tell them what is happening and at what dealer and see what they will do for you. This is the number I found 949.770.0400 not sure if it's a dealer or one of there main offices.
:iamwithst:+1:... keep us posted

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a pc3 from a member here and as soon as it gets here I will install it with all the stock stuff on the bike and see how it goes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought a pc3 from a member here and as soon as it gets here I will install it with all the stock stuff on the bike and see how it goes.
Great hope you get it resolved either way.
Keep us posted.

·
Team Green Baby!
2014 MV Agusta F3 675
1,519 Posts
Sounds like the bike is running way lean (in other words way to much air not enough fuel) you may want to get a power commander and get it tuned properly to the mods you have done to the bike. It is going to hurt the bike if you don't get this done soon. Especially at any kind of hard or full throttle accleration. And 185 is not a normal cruising temp especially at night im sure its due to how lean the bike is running. For example my bike usually runs around 160-165 at night cruising and 170-175 during the day.. Hope this helps
:+1: If your bike only has a slip-on, there really is no need for a power commander. You will def need one if you're replacing the stock air filter w/ an aftermarket one. It allows alot more air as opposed to the stock ones which restricts more air.

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
My first gen headers really glow (Ti akra)

Neutral, 4000rpm steady 30 seconds. AFR is OK; water temp. is OK

My motor is far from stock though..

Nothing to worry about so far. Ti glows easier than other metals.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My old Ninja 500R with Muzzy Full Length pipes would glow just like that... the choke made it idle real high and would heat those pipes up quick!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts