Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 06 with roughly 10000 miles. Bike was running fine the other night until I decided to make a high speed run (150 +). As I was slowing down I noticed the exhaust tone had changed. When I came to a stop it felt like the bike had developed a miss.At low rpms it was sluggish.Once I hit 3500 it ran normal. I pulled plugs and they were shot so I put some new ones in. The miss is still there and now bike wants to pop and backfire. Rode it for about a mile and bike has no power through all rpms and noticed a nice orange glow coming from exhaust starting at cats and going past where it makes the upwards turn towards factory cans. I'm thinking cats may be clogged and will check coils with ohm meter in a few. Have already checked all connections and will recheck the gap on plugs when I check the coil sticks. Anything else to check?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Exhaust flap moves from what I can tell from the outside,can see through honeycomb on one side of cat,most of it is missing on the other side. Also getting loud backfire out exhaust. Whats the chance of the material from the missing side of cat clogging the flap?

Just thought about the flap being clogged and reliazed it wouldn't matter since it's still running crappy with the cat section off the bike. I'll test coils after work tomorrow. Maybe valves need adjusted? Could bad gas be causing this much trouble. It seems to run worse since I changed the plugs though.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Exhaust flap moves from what I can tell from the outside,can see through honeycomb on one side of cat,most of it is missing on the other side. Also getting loud backfire out exhaust. Whats the chance of the material from the missing side of cat clogging the flap?

Just thought about the flap being clogged and reliazed it wouldn't matter since it's still running crappy with the cat section off the bike. I'll test coils after work tomorrow. Maybe valves need adjusted? Could bad gas be causing this much trouble. It seems to run worse since I changed the plugs though.
So you were running the bike straight pipe with the Cat pulled and all? Just checking, not flaming. If not , easiest way is to pull the servo cables and itll hold the flap open.

Hows the air filter? If its clogged, the afterburn you could be experiencing could be excess fuel getting burned up in the exhaust system. Or the intake tract as a whole?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I wasn't running bike without cats. Took them off then started bike and it ran the same. Maybe 1000 miles on K&N air filter. I can hear fuel pump kick on and a real high pitch noise but it has always been there. Bike has been rode normal except for a few top speed runs. The run that I made when this started was to shift light light in sixth gear. How hard is it to adjust valves on this bike.

·
Registered
378 Posts
the bike is running lean, i would check spark at all cylinders

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All coils check out perfect. Plugs gapped in spec. Fuel comes out of tank fine. Out of ideas. Think maybe valves need adjusted or how hard is it to get #1 and #2 plugs wiring swapped?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts