Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my GIPro a couple of days ago, but I'm having problems with the indicator showing 6th gear. I had a problem with the stock settings, and even after I recalibrated the unit as per the instructions, 6th gear doesn't show up. The display just goes dead on 6th. When I am calibrating it though, it shows the gear just fine. :dontknow:

Also, on the TRE feature setting #1 (hard) the bike has very poor acceleration before 6000 RPM, after which it just hits hard and pulls hard till redline. It just seems very underpowered before 6000 RPM. Setting #2 (soft) works with no problems.

If you guys have had similar problems, chime in, I'd love to see what you did to fix it. :wink:

Thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine is similar... When cruising in 6th the display goes off. I kinda figured that it was normal. I thought that since you will be in 6th for a while it just disappears so it won't stay on continually.

As far as the wrong gear indicated...same thing with mine. Even when you "teach" it, it occasionally shows the wrong gear,no biggie.

I don't like the "hard" setting either..it seemed like when in 6th and the light went off, the throttle response was real funky. Some guys liked the setting though.

Your unit is doing what mine is doing so I'd say once you find a setting you like,,go with it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gipro Problems

Sorry to hear about ur problems. But i got another question??
I just got mine installed. I have no tank on the bike rite now cuz its getting painted.

Here is my Question??
I cant start the bike cuz no tank, does the girpo power up and work with the key in on position, Or does the bike have to be started for it to work.???

all the wires are connected and when i put it on the on position it wont power on. when i first connect it to the batter it comes on for a split second, then it goes off in bout 10 sec. I take the key out and put it on the on position and it wont turn on. What am i doing wrong.

sorry for the jibberish. please help

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sorry to hear about ur problems. But i got another question??
I just got mine installed. I have no tank on the bike rite now cuz its getting painted.

Here is my Question??
I cant start the bike cuz no tank, does the girpo power up and work with the key in on position, Or does the bike have to be started for it to work.???

all the wires are connected and when i put it on the on position it wont power on. when i first connect it to the batter it comes on for a split second, then it goes off in bout 10 sec. I take the key out and put it on the on position and it wont turn on. What am i doing wrong.

sorry for the jibberish. please help
No the bike does not have to be started to program or work...check your connections again.

For you other guys yes the 6th and 5th gear indication is tricky because they share such a close Voltage and can fool the Electronics what gear it is actually in(if it varies to much) but you should see at least one of those gears displayed no matter if your in 6th or 5th. If 6th gear is not showing even after the learn function is performed on the stand then email the tech at

[email protected]

I believe they have a 2yr Warranty but email them first and give good details on your install as well.

bloo

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,357 Posts
:+2: to what bluedevil said. My '06 shows 6th gear all the time when I'm cruising around.

Also, the #1 Hard setting is for bikes with custom fuel mapping (i.e.- PowerCommander installed). It should not be used for a stock motor, and it sounds like that's why you think it's "soft" below 6000rpm. Either get your bike re-mapped to account for the GIPro #1 setting, or leave it in #2.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ive had no problem with mine.......................

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm having the same probs with the GIPRO on my 04 10R. I've doublechecked all contacts and pins, rerouted the cables, changed the gear position switch got the GIPRO replaced under warranty and still have the problem that the gears aren't shown correctly. The lower gears are mostly indicated correctly, gears 4 to 6 tend to flicker and often the wrong gear is displayed.
I must say the support by healtech is extremely good, Norbert really is trying to help solve the problem and responds almost instantly to my mails!
The next step will be to try to measure the voltage of the GPS in each of the gears and to determine if there is any fluctuation.

As for the moment I guess the GPS isn't providing a constant voltage thus making it difficult for the GIPRO to identify the gear selected.

Has by chance anyone had the same problem and has found a solution?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's really annoying. It seems I may have the same problem as you. My next step was to check the voltages output by the GPS as well, but I didn't want it to come to that. I think I'll try to recalibrate the GIPro a couple of times before I go and check voltages.

I'm having the same probs with the GIPRO on my 04 10R. I've doublechecked all contacts and pins, rerouted the cables, changed the gear position switch got the GIPRO replaced under warranty and still have the problem that the gears aren't shown correctly. The lower gears are mostly indicated correctly, gears 4 to 6 tend to flicker and often the wrong gear is displayed.
I must say the support by healtech is extremely good, Norbert really is trying to help solve the problem and responds almost instantly to my mails!
The next step will be to try to measure the voltage of the GPS in each of the gears and to determine if there is any fluctuation.

As for the moment I guess the GPS isn't providing a constant voltage thus making it difficult for the GIPRO to identify the gear selected.

Has by chance anyone had the same problem and has found a solution?

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's really annoying. It seems I may have the same problem as you. My next step was to check the voltages output by the GPS as well, but I didn't want it to come to that. I think I'll try to recalibrate the GIPro a couple of times before I go and check voltages.
In my case recalibrating only made things even worse. Often it wasn't even possible to calibrate the gears 4 and up. Thats also one of the reasons why I reckon that the GPS isn't supplying constant voltages.
That would meen we only have to find out why our GPS fluctuates more than others. The only part I haven't replaced so far is the spring loaded pin that actuates the GPS when shifting. Even if I can't see how, maybe that pin has some effect even when just "sitting" there?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
In my case recalibrating only made things even worse. Often it wasn't even possible to calibrate the gears 4 and up. Thats also one of the reasons why I reckon that the GPS isn't supplying constant voltages.
That would meen we only have to find out why our GPS fluctuates more than others. The only part I haven't replaced so far is the spring loaded pin that actuates the GPS when shifting. Even if I can't see how, maybe that pin has some effect even when just "sitting" there?
you might be on to something there. I can tell you the GPS voltages do fluctuate and Herbert from from HealTech told me that's why they have a .3sec delay to stop any flickering. In the many months I owned a GiPro it never flickered but was not perfect for the 5th-6th gear depending on RPM.

The Gear Indicator I built and sold on this site does not have the advance electronics and does flicker at times if voltages varies, but also there is NO DELAY that your brain can see(fastest Gear Indicator because it doesn't sample just displays a gear depending on voltage)..but I have to use a manual switch to turn the TRE off.... but have adjustable resistors to help vary the Voltage Window Readings inputs on my Unit for 5th and 6th Gears to fine tune it.

To sum everything up I think all aftermarket Gear Indicators have their pluses and minuses depending on what is important to you. The GiPro seems to be the best out of the box so far compared to my unit but it's not the fastest or the smallest display, and don't believe as adjustable if to many are having problems in the learn function but the GiPro is more user friendly to adjust than my unit.

btw..the member I sold my GiPro too said all went well and was happy with it just like many other members reported.

bloo

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for your input Bloo, I was hoping you would give us some info. Do you happen to know if the OEM system as used by Suzuki on their 05/06 1K gixxers uses a different design? I find it interesting that the OEM GI works flawlessly and those who I know using a GIPRO on their gixxers have no problems what so ever.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Thanks for your input Bloo, I was hoping you would give us some info. Do you happen to know if the OEM system as used by Suzuki on their 05/06 1K gixxers uses a different design? I find it interesting that the OEM GI works flawlessly and those who I know using a GIPRO on their gixxers have no problems what so ever.
Like I said the 5th to 6th Gear voltages are very Close..very close...the gixxers may have a wider window to stray from OEM specs compared to the 10R. I do know a guy that I sold my Gear indicator too and him and his bud compared the speed at the same time..... meaning the 05 Gix against my Home built unit. The Gix was so slow compared to mine meaning according to the 10R owner I sold it too and most likely something between an Acumen GI and GiPro... and the Gixxer rider was impressed even though he had an OEM system.:wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Like I said the 5th to 6th Gear voltages are very Close..very close...the gixxers may have a wider window to stray from OEM specs compared to the 10R.
kawiralph

Ok, checking my old Data on a Gix 750 I believe and it is clear the Gixxers have a wider Voltage range through out the gears compared to a 10R.

Gixxer

1st-2nd gear diff 1.021v
2n-3rd gear diff .617v
3rd-4th gear diff .696v
4th-5th gear diff .696v
5th-6th gear diff .474

10R

1-4th Gear OEM specs .5v

5th -6th Gear .4v

Now remember a small change as much as mili volt could throw off a gear indicator and for the 10R that is prone to vibrations I wouldn’t doubt that the GPS sensor is fluctuating because the shift lever/Rod is causing voltage changes( maybe a mili volt or 2) with vibrations changing voltages out of specs….this would explain why many can test on the rear stand with low RPMs and why on the road there are errors IMO….but have messed with the shift lever before to see how easy it is to change voltage and it was no problem :badteeth:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok, sounds plausible to me and is what I expected. That means I'll have little luck in getting the GIPRO to show the gears more accurate as I already have exchanged the GPS and I can't reduce vibration without investing huge amounts of time and money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to ask GIPro what the Voltage windows are once the unit was programmed in the learn mode. Say for example, if for 6th gear the GIPro read a voltage input of 3.22V, what is the tolerance before it starts to get screwy readings? That would answer some of our vibration questions. If the GIPro can tolerate say 3.22V +/- 0.2V and the vibrations cause a 0.05V fluctuations, it should be ok right?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I'm going to ask GIPro what the Voltage windows are once the unit was programmed in the learn mode. Say for example, if for 6th gear the GIPro read a voltage input of 3.22V, what is the tolerance before it starts to get screwy readings? That would answer some of our vibration questions. If the GIPro can tolerate say 3.22V +/- 0.2V and the vibrations cause a 0.05V fluctuations, it should be ok right?
I don't think it's that simple for the GiPro, for the GI I built that is exactly what happens when a voltage gets out of a window it will display that voltage vs Gear and indicate it or fluctuate if the voltage is sitting at the limit between 2 gears meaning a upper gear voltage limit that is close to minimum gear voltage limit for the next gear.

For the GiPro I believe it samples maybe averages fluctuations at first and sticks with that Gear(limiting fluctuations on display) unless there is a major threshold change like a Gear Change or major voltage change to cause it to sample again. This is all speculation but I know it doesn't work like mine, and what you described is EXACTLY how mine works not the GiPro. :headshake

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know if this will work for you but when I hooked up my gear indicator on my AIM MXL display. I connected the white and yellow wire ( terminal 12 from ECU ) to my dash with a crimp connector. My gear indicator kept flashing back and fourth in gears 5 & 6. I then disconnected the same wires and soldered them together. the gears now work perfect.:zx_blue:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I don't know if this will work for you but when I hooked up my gear indicator on my AIM MXL display. I connected the white and yellow wire ( terminal 12 from ECU ) to my dash with a crimp connector. My gear indicator kept flashing back and fourth in gears 5 & 6. I then disconnected the same wires and soldered them together. the gears now work perfect.:zx_blue:
Like I said before the 5th and 6th gears are so close....solder is always the best but I just made my own GiPro equivalent with crimp connectors but get this with the same connectors GiPro uses. The differences is mine is manually controlled by a switch. I done this setup before but it was messy, now with the connectors I only tap power and ground and install just like a GiPro. Will be testing tomorrow but not worried as I have adjustable resisters to help out if there are fluctuations. If anyone is interested I have enough parts to make 1 more unit like mine. Here's the pic., notice the on-off switch to turn off the TRE function...and as many know already a TRE is just a resistor and it's located/soldered on the switch located under the left mirror bolts. :wink:

PS...don't mind my 06 Cluster on my 04 bike that is a big job and very expensive to convert plus you loose the F1 light warning.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine has been very acturate..I have had to reteach it a couple of times.If I ever change the TRE setting and if I change gearing.But after resetting it does great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts