Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else using this? I just installed mine and am wondering if the speedo healer will interfere. It's raining here and directions say "it may". Would need to teach if so. Install was simple. Plugged right into ECU diagnostics connector. That's it. Nothing else to hook up. Pretty slick if it functions perfectly with all my electronics I have on bike. I'll post up once I put some miles on it after rain stops in the next few days.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's hope not. It says the speedo healer may cause the gear indicator to read incorrectly. If so, then it needs to be "taught" by going into "custom" mode and running the bike through the gears while the rear wheel is up in the air. I just hope it is dead nuts accurate.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do you know if the plugs interfere or are they totally separate? Im sure the speedo healer wont be dead accurate but probably close. Especially at high speeds i hear the speedo is inaccurate.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you know if the plugs interfere or are they totally separate? Im sure the speedo healer wont be dead accurate but probably close. Especially at high speeds i hear the speedo is inaccurate.
It works FLAWLESSLY!!! No problems using a speedo healer V4 from Healtech and their DS series indicator. Just make sure you use the test connector to the right of the ECU( ecu NON harness side). Don't use the test connector to the left side of ECU, the indicator will cycle at turn on then blink a "F" only, won't read gear. I had to look up the diagram on the PDF Kawi manual this site kindly allows us to download.
The directions stated 3 very important things...One, that a tre(seperate timing TRE) will not allow the GiPro DS indicator to work at all causing malfunctions that can not be overcome. Two, a speedo healer "may" cause incorrect/faulty gear readings in which case there is a procedure to manually make the GiPro indicator "LEARN" the gears. And thirdly, that there are 2 test diagnostic connectors on the bike and only 1 of them lets the indicator function properly.
My speedo healer V4 DOES NOT adversely affect the gear indicator at all, WHEW:thumbsup:. I originally hooked up to the incorrect diagnostic connector and gear indicator would cycle at start up then flash a "F". I thought that meant "factory mode" like HealTech instructions call the preset setting. Nope, I used the wrong connector. Wrong connector is the connector on the left side of bike/clutch handle side. I had to dig for the other one as I have a crap load of wiring and relays for nitrous,pc3,solenoids,etc. It should be laying right next to the ECU on right side. I had relocated it awhile back and couldn't remember where I hid it:badteeth:.

So,IT works GREAT, no need to do anything other than hook it up to the correct diagnostic connector and good to go. Shows the gear as as soon as you click the shifter, even while the clutch is still in. Very fast to indicate both up shift and down shifts. It gets the :thumbsup: from a very anal person, me:mrgreen:. I got the red display as they state it's the brightest. Green would have looked great but was worried it may be faint in bright sunlight. Probably not considering just how bright the red is.
If you don't want a TRE but want a gear indicator, this is a super fast indicator with no noticeable lag and shows the "IN" gear even while clutch is in. I like it alot. Those unfamiliar with the new DS series gear indicator from www.HealTech-electronics.com should know that this is a 1 connector setup. No seperate ground wires or power wires. Just plugs directly into the Diagnostic Test connector on all 2004-2007 and 2008-2010 models(2 seperate part #'s for the years) and reads the gear position from the ECU. If you are using Ivan's ATRE or similar which already alters the ECU gear position(what a TRE does), it will not work. This is the simplest install of any gear indicator. Very small unit with a total length the size of a quarter. But, the digital display is the entire thing basically. There is absolutely no cutting wires or altering connectors like on the SpeedoHealer V4 and equivalent devices. HealTech really has their shit together and their products are getting better and easier to install. Check out their website for more info.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted to express just how surprised and happy I am that this indicator works as advertised. Every pc of electronic equipment came with a disclaimer that other aftermarket electronics will interfere with each other. I am using quite a bit of electronics on my bike and so far I've been lucky none of these devices interfere. I have the GiPro DS gear indicator(NON tre), speedoHealer V4, PC3, DynoJet multifunction hub, Spyder dry nitrous kit, NOS mini progressive controller, nitrous solenoid, remote map switch/relay, and all of these are directly or indirectly tied into the ECU and right next to each other in the tail section. Next plug in device is gonna be the DynoJet ignition module when I get some internal engine upgrades and retune over winter. This bike is still a back roads ripper with very little drag time. I'm no knee dragger but even stretched the Kawi still holds a nice line. The upgrades keep it competitive with the newer bikes. I hate electronic gremlins and so far the electronics have none.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had to program mine on my '05 but i'm still happy with it....i'll link that thread....
Yeah link the thread up. We'll try and keep just 1 thread on this topic of the DS series indicator. I'll read through yours to see the difference why you had to program it. Maybe it's a Gen thing:dontknow:.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had to program mine on my '05 but i'm still happy with it....i'll link that thread....
:dontknow:, On my Gen 2, it worked perfect right away. Well, once I found the "correct" connector, LOL. Seems everyone chose the wrong connector at 1st. :crackup:. All Gens have 2 diagnostic connections. Only 1 will allow the DS indicator to function properly since only one is the ECU diagnostic cable. I almost started to try and "reset to custom mode" while hooked to the wrong connector. I'm surprised even the wrong connector powers it up and cycles the indicator.
If anyone gets a blinking "F" on the display, you have chosen the WRONG diagnostics connector. Look for the 2nd, proper connector before going into "custom program" mode. It will change how the indicator functions. Delay, no clutch in reading etc if you manually program it. just a heads up.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
:dontknow:, On my Gen 2, it worked perfect right away. Well, once I found the "correct" connector, LOL. Seems everyone chose the wrong connector at 1st. :crackup:. All Gens have 2 diagnostic connections. Only 1 will allow the DS indicator to function properly since only one is the ECU diagnostic cable. I almost started to try and "reset to custom mode" while hooked to the wrong connector. I'm surprised even the wrong connector powers it up and cycles the indicator.
If anyone gets a blinking "F" on the display, you have chosen the WRONG diagnostics connector. Look for the 2nd, proper connector before going into "custom program" mode. It will change how the indicator functions. Delay, no clutch in reading etc if you manually program it. just a heads up.
yep! and with my gen1 i had to reprogram it with the speedohealer. not a big deal though. i'm glad i got the DS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
pics?

i need help installing this on my replacement zx10. before my last night going down i had it in there. I gutted my last bike and building this one but cant find the connector

1 - 13 of 13 Posts