Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I put Gillies rear-sets (Gold) on my 04 and I am contimplating the matching chain adjusters.

I am interested in them mainly for cosmetic reasons, but haven't made up my mind yet. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they a useful mod or what?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I personally dont like them, they dont really serve any extra purpose over stock adjusters, and they just look like an afterthought.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
you ca'nt say the cool factor aint there but FAF is right not much bang for the buck however I do like mine

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I have had the ones on my 04 loosen up on me a couple of times, which I can not explain, because the ones on my 06 have worked flawless and they are pretty much the same. Really had to crank down on the axle nut to get the chain to say in adjustment, like 100Ft lbs plus, probably not the best thing for the wheel bearings and spacers.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have had the ones on my 04 loosen up on me a couple of times, which I can not explain, because the ones on my 06 have worked flawless and they are pretty much the same. Really had to crank down on the axle nut to get the chain to say in adjustment, like 100Ft lbs plus, probably not the best thing for the wheel bearings and spacers.
that's not a good thing 100ft lbs, in fact for less resistance I run about 65ft lbs for drag racing and I think the book says 85ft lbs....you can really tell the difference between the 2 settings and I can only wonder what 100ft-lbs is doing.:badteeth:

·
Registered
591 Posts
i like mine..got the gold ones too. i think it makes the chain adjustment easier and faster. i did the string test and the marks on the adjusters are spot on.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
you ca'nt say the cool factor aint there but FAF is right not much bang for the buck however I do like mine
Trey, I wouldnt expect anything less from you , you are the King of Bling !!

(could be worse, the queen of Green ???) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
591 Posts
you drill holes to mount that? didnt use the clamp method? yikes...i was afraid to drill on my swingarm.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
you drill holes to mount that? didnt use the clamp method? yikes...i was afraid to drill on my swingarm.
There is no drilling involved. Just mount straight on. I have the same but in black, both the rearsets and the chain adjusters. Sure it is bling, but real nice to have.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There is no drilling involved. Just mount straight on. I have the same but in black, both the rearsets and the chain adjusters. Sure it is bling, but real nice to have.
there is two ways to mount gilles adjusters...either with the clamp, or bolting them to the swingarm. bolting them directly to the swingarm requires drilling. this is the way most racers do it. i just clamped mine on. it looks like he used the direct bolt on method from the pic and you have to drill to do that. just looked like it from the pic. thats why i commented....but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. They look great. From the pic, it looks like you went with the drill method to install them. How difficult was this? What are the advantages over the "clamp" method. When you adjust the axle with the adjuster, does the axle "follow along" or do you have to pull/push the axle into place?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That isn't good at all. Did you try some blue locktite on the threads? If you are having to put 100ft lbs on it, I doubt if the blue locktite would help, but it may.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the reply. They look great. From the pic, it looks like you went with the drill method to install them. How difficult was this? What are the advantages over the "clamp" method. When you adjust the axle with the adjuster, does the axle "follow along" or do you have to pull/push the axle into place?

Thanks again!
there are some hex head screws at the back of the adjusters. when you screw them in or out, the axles move automatically in the carriers. no pushing or pulling by hand, which makes things a little more simple and easier to align.

i think the screw in method makes them a little more solid...so if you were taking the axles out and slamming them back in while doing a quick tire change like in the pit, you dont have to worry so much about breaking a clamp.

i was a little nervous about drilling holes in the swing arm. if you miss mark, or screw up in any way, you might as well plan on buying a new swing arm. plus, i was tapping around on the swing arm and it felt paper thin. i opted to use the clamps and so far, i have had no trouble with them and the chain stays tight where you put it. happy with the product, plus they look trick.

if you do use the clamp method, do not tighten them very tight...i think it is only a little over 4 inch pounds. i used my big ass torgue wrench to tighten mine and the reading was so innacurate, i broke off one of the clamps. i have to order a new one strait from gilles, which are over seas and it was not cheap.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I liked them. I did not drill the swing arm when installing (did not use them as lift points like Trey).

The gold color does match the Kawai gold on the bike, but if you're going aftermarket rear sets you'd have to purchase Gilles gold rear sets to continue to match. Sato's gold rear sets and the Gilles chain adjusters looked goofy together on my bike, so I swapped to Sato black rear sets.

The Gilles are not needed, but I thought they were way cool. You will get amazing accurate asjustments to your chain... but if you like me you do this maybe one a year.

**And ya just gotta do the 520 coversion with DID gold chain at the same time.

http://www.circusnuts.com/rr1.jpg

HTH
Phil

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
That isn't good at all. Did you try some blue locktite on the threads? If you are having to put 100ft lbs on it, I doubt if the blue locktite would help, but it may.

Don't know about the loctite, but not sure why this particular set does this, like I said the ones on my 06 work flawless, I bought the set for my 04 in the clasifieds, maybe that was why the guy got rid of them, but they are still usable.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't know about the loctite, but not sure why this particular set does this, like I said the ones on my 06 work flawless, I bought the set for my 04 in the clasifieds, maybe that was why the guy got rid of them, but they are still usable.
I had the same problem. Next time you have the axle bolt off, wiggle the axle. There's a little play between the adjuster and the axle. This might be the cause. How to fix it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there are some hex head screws at the back of the adjusters. when you screw them in or out, the axles move automatically in the carriers. no pushing or pulling by hand, which makes things a little more simple and easier to align.

i think the screw in method makes them a little more solid...so if you were taking the axles out and slamming them back in while doing a quick tire change like in the pit, you dont have to worry so much about breaking a clamp.

i was a little nervous about drilling holes in the swing arm. if you miss mark, or screw up in any way, you might as well plan on buying a new swing arm. plus, i was tapping around on the swing arm and it felt paper thin. i opted to use the clamps and so far, i have had no trouble with them and the chain stays tight where you put it. happy with the product, plus they look trick.

if you do use the clamp method, do not tighten them very tight...i think it is only a little over 4 inch pounds. i used my big ass torgue wrench to tighten mine and the reading was so innacurate, i broke off one of the clamps. i have to order a new one strait from gilles, which are over seas and it was not cheap.

Thank for the reply. I was thinking I would go with the screw method, but I will probably try the clamp method first. Who knows though, when I get into it, I may get froggy and decide to tap the swingarm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I liked them. I did not drill the swing arm when installing (did not use them as lift points like Trey).

The gold color does match the Kawai gold on the bike, but if you're going aftermarket rear sets you'd have to purchase Gilles gold rear sets to continue to match. Sato's gold rear sets and the Gilles chain adjusters looked goofy together on my bike, so I swapped to Sato black rear sets.

The Gilles are not needed, but I thought they were way cool. You will get amazing accurate asjustments to your chain... but if you like me you do this maybe one a year.

**And ya just gotta do the 520 coversion with DID gold chain at the same time.

http://www.circusnuts.com/rr1.jpg

HTH
Phil
Thanks for your input. I already have the gold rearsets on and that is why I was initially looking at the chain adjusters. I just wanted to see hear what others thought about them. I have decided to buy them.

Can you tell me what the advantages of the 520 conversion are? Is it worth buy sprockets and a new chain?

Thanks!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Why would you ever tap, when the clamps work just fine if you follow the directions and don't over torque them, the axle and machined fit is doing the majority of the job keeping them in place.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i would feel better tapping it personally the clamp thing seems like a cheap way to do it (no offense)

but i would also get very squeamish about tapping my swing arm

they look cool though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts