Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOLY #%[email protected] is there a trick to getting th TBs back in To intake boots??? Can put some Vaseline around the intake boot to help it slide in? Ive been trying or an hour now with no success

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
i used a small amount of lube around them and pushed ....pushed....pushed some more they finally fell in.... there a bitch aint they LOL

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I believe I coated with soap/water solution on the boots but be careful....make sure it seats nice though...use a good flash light and inspect the seating then clamp, and watch the clamps too to make sure they are in the proper place before tightening.

bloo

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
did you loosen the clamps?
I know it sounds silly, but you can get it off without loosing them (if you put enough force to it) but its way way harder to get it back in.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I know it sounds silly, but you can get it off without loosing them (if you put enough force to it) but its way way harder to get it back in.
that too....good advice Rafa :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha yeah i made sure i loosened the clamps, when i posted the tread i was thinking somebody would say this. Well i got the bike back together and tried to fire her up....But now she wont start :dontknow: the fuel pump primes, but it doesn't even sound like it wants to fire up

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
SHES ALIVE!!!! In my haste of putting it back togeher i forgot 1 plug on the TBs..
Remember the Hater that said you should not be doing this yourself? :badteeth: I always say learn your bike and you had great success :thumbsup:

Now it's my turn next and even though I am mechanically inclined I hope I get it right like you just been to busy at work lately so hope I don't rush and blow my engine.....goood job codyc. :eek:ccasion1

bloo

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember the Hater that said you should not be doing this yourself? :badteeth: I always say learn your bike and you had great success :thumbsup:

Now it's my turn next and even though I am mechanically inclined I hope I get it right like you just been to busy at work lately so hope I don't rush and blow my engine.....goood job codyc. :eek:ccasion1

bloo
Yeah I remember that guy. I have been fortunate enough to have a maintenance free bike for the past 3 years (besides the clutch) even with ALOT of racing. But i have always been against other people working on my vehicles. i knew i could get it done if i just took my time and referred back to the AWSOME .NET

I went into this with ZERO knowledge of what I was doing, but i read the HOW-TO probably 20 times to get a general idea of what I was doing, But it really didn't make sense until i got th valve cover off.

Now I feel like i could do it in an afternoon!!!

Thanks alot BLOO :eek:ccasion1

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
What did you perform, the valve adjustment?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
So all in all or wasn't that bad? I've looked over and read the how to several times myself but keep putting it off until I get a fee more miles on the bike. Did you have to replace anything or just do some shimming? Kick ass that you did it all yourself man!! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So all in all or wasn't that bad? I've looked over and read the how to several times myself but keep putting it off until I get a fee more miles on the bike. Did you have to replace anything or just do some shimming? Kick ass that you did it all yourself man!! Congrats!!!
No it wasn't too bad, while I was in there I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs. But other than that all I did was do some shims, I drag race and have about 20,000 miles and all of my valves were in spec expect 2, but they were all close to being out of spec (manual calls for .17-.22 on the exhaust side) and ALL mine were .18.

So I brought them all to .202, which is a little above middle of the spec range, since valves get tighter over time in a few thousand miles they should be pretty close to .195

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Thanks man, makes me feel a little more confident about tackling it myself when the time comes.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Yeah man, Rep sent your way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
valve adjustment

if u are new to removing and reinstalling cams in time, try this. before removal, bring number one cyl. to tdc,with a black sharpie mark a line across the cam sprocket level with the top edge of the head, a couple of slash marks make it a arrow, ex. pointing front, int. pointing rear. realign your marks to the head surface and youre quickly back in correct time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts