Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that seems to have such a hard time getting the wheel back on? I don't remember it ever being this bad. I have done them many times because of track days and running through tires. It seems every time I can not get the rear brake caliper and the bearing to fit together. So here I am stopping to give myself a break again, figured I would ask if any one had any ideas to make it go smooth. Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
huge PITA for me too, never found a trick to it, just drinking and cussing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
set a peice of wood under the tire, like a 2 by 4 or something, that way your not doing 4 things with 2 hands, it will put the axel about right height, you can use the edge of the board if it needs to go lower, or use the board like a lever to make the wheel higher, then align the spacers and caliper, and roll the tire in till you can slide the axel in one side, then from there you can ditch the boards, and pick the wheel up to slide the axel in the rest of the way

·
Registered
35 Posts
i usually just use my foot the same as i would the board though, then align the wheel with one arm, then do the axel with the other

·
Registered
388 Posts
huge PITA for me too, never found a trick to it, just drinking and cussing.
I am almost thinking we should have your right side wheel spacer machined down about .002" or so? Kawi was off on the front wheel spacers, wouldn't be hard to think they over looked the interference problem with the rear as well. :dontknow:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found an easy way!

When you try to hold both bearings in from each side it makes it seem to wide and each bearing wants to fall out all the time. What I did was put the bearing in and get it lined up with the caliper on the right side, then put a small screwdriver through the axle hole. Since it is a small screw driver and not the axle I could then pivot the wheel enough towards the chain side and get that bearing in. Then made sure the bearing was flush on that side and it popped right up.

I hope that made sense.

Edit- when I say small screw driver, I mean its long just a small diameter

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I sit indian style with wheel on my feet, I start with the axle in the left side of the swingarm, get my bearings in place on that side, put the spacer on the right with the brake bracket (with no brake on it) slip the axle out the left side and slide it in the right.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i sit on my roll around seat with the tire on my foot or like NICK said indian style.lift your foot to hold wheel in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts