Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so last season my bike (after running 100% fine for ~4 years) suddenly filled up the coolant overflow tank and spit up a significant amount of coolant from the overflow line during a ride. I finally got around to fixing it and just a simple coolant flush seemed to fix that problem but I was worried it was a head gasket so I have been a little paranoid noticing every little thing that goes on with it.

The symptom that concerns me is when it sits for a bit and idles and then I rev it, when the RPM are coming down it puffs some blue smoke--not an alarming amount but enough to make me wonder why it might be doing that. Earlier the oil level seemed weirdly high, like just above the sight glass window which is higher than I would ever fill it (another reason I thought it might be the HG) but I did an oil change and it came out black and not creamy so I dont think its a HG. I made sure to get the oil level right between the lines but it still gives me some blue smoke.

It still runs solid, and my buddy who also has a gen 4 says the same thing happens to him but Im looking for a second opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Blue smoke is oil of course so oil is getting into the combustion chamber somehow, either from the top (valve seals) or bottom (rings). I would start with a compression/leakdown test. Probably a leaky valve seal.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
Blue smoke is oil burning. You've got something going on with the engine as it shouldn't be blowing any smoke like that under normal conditions if the engine is all sealed up.

So, you're getting blow-by on the piston rings, the valve guides are leaking, or the head gasket is dinked up. Remember, the head gasket seals coolant and oil passages from the cylinder. Just because you're not blowing water out doesn't necessarily mean the head is sealed with the gasket. It may be cracked or broken for one passage, but not another. Oil can get in one area and still be good for the coolant.

It's worth your time to try and pinpoint the issue. The first thing to try and do is inspect the cylinders to see what the pistons look like. That can be done by pulling the plugs and putting a bore scope in there to see. Everyone has a fancy bore scope, right? The other thing would be to pull the head off. That's not nearly as easy to do. Ugh. Time consuming for sure. But it's a necessary evil when finding problems like this.

·
The Pace
7,182 Posts
G 4 and you said it runs good. Life is good. geez; Don't rev the bike; not sure how else to put that but not trying to be mean; do NOT rev the bike; who taught you that? rhetorical question, meaning don't answer. Running rich or whatever you did with the can or the headers or the fuel or whatever you did as you're the only one the bike depends upon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts