Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well as of yesterday my right fork seal started to wheep a little bit, so its time to redo the fork seals.This is my first time doing the fork seals on this bike, so I want to make sure I do everything correct. I hear OEM seals are the way to go, but has anyone have any experience with "all balls racing seals?" Also I'm told that people go with different weight fork oil based on rider weight. I weigh about 150lbs, does anyone have any recommendations for fork oil?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Stick with OEM or SKF for seals, all balls seals are junk and wear out too quickly. As to oil, just use the correct viscosity (weight). You can try varying oil level height as a tuning variable, but unless you know what you're looking for just with use the air gap in the manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok.thanks. Is there a specific brand that you recommend for fork oil? Also do you know how much the OEM seals cost? Someone told me $80 and i thought that was a bit expensive.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
ok.thanks. Is there a specific brand that you recommend for fork oil? Also do you know how much the OEM seals cost? Someone told me $80 and i thought that was a bit expensive.
If your forks have bushings you might want to replace and shim those it will make the seals last longer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your forks have bushings you might want to replace and shim those it will make the seals last longer.
I've heard these bushing kits are around $100. Do you know where I could get one, hopefully cheaper than $100. my bike just hit 14k miles

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You cannot replace the bushings in the KYB forks, they are pressed in. You can TRY and remove them but you'll probably end up destroying the tubes in the process.

I use Maxima for all fork service (unless Im doing aftermarket cartridges in a customers forks). Seals should run you about 35 bucks. Racetech repackages OEM seals with their name on them.

If your having problems finding supplies let me know, I have a lot of that stuff on hand.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why not give this a try before changing anything.............

http://www.sealmate.net/

I used a strip of old 35mm film to cure my leaky seal. You do need to keep working it, plunging the forks and wiping clean again till the weeping stops

It seems to be caused by a build up of gunge inside the fork tube and compromising the seal. When the gunge is released the seal re forms and no need for a strip down :smile:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had an old roll of celluloid film which I cut to suit and did the trick for me, but I'd get the sealmate tool if it happens again. Cost wise its a no brainer and cant do any harm

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've seen the seal mate at a Trackday
It worked going to order one to have on hand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi All

I am doing my seal for the first,time it is not that is totally leaking but.... has to be changed, sometime.

Question is, what oil shall I use for the Gen 3 bike. Bike is used for track purpose only.

I have went through a lot of search here and there and there are a lot who are usiing the 10W, my issue is that the manual tells you to use the :

Fork Oil
Viscosity:
KHL15-10 (KAYABA01) or equivalent SAE 5W

What shall I use ? if is important I weight 75Kg.

Pls Help thanks Jo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The guide bushing is teflon coated. If it has signs of wear replace. Not hard to do. Heat tube with hot air gun. Slap tube against a board. It'll just fall out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The guide bushing is teflon coated. If it has signs of wear replace. Not hard to do. Heat tube with hot air gun. Slap tube against a board. It'll just fall out.
My Qusetion was about the oil grade, shall I stick with the manual SAE 5W or 10w ?

Thanks Jo

·
Registered
784 Posts
depends on whether you want a stiffer or more compliant action

5w between oils means very little, so another 5w wont necessarily feel the same as the kayaba. I would personally use an oil with a higher viscosity to get a more compliant action, stock forks are very stiff.

you'll also want to think about what air gap would work for you

a google search for fork oil chart should list the Kayaba01 and by comparison, help you choose whats best for you, but Cst and VI numbers are more significant than weight

·
Registered
302 Posts
depends on whether you want a stiffer or more compliant action

5w between oils means very little, so another 5w wont necessarily feel the same as the kayaba. I would personally use an oil with a higher viscosity to get a more compliant action, stock forks are very stiff.

you'll also want to think about what air gap would work for you

a google search for fork oil chart should list the Kayaba01 and by comparison, help you choose whats best for you, but Cst and VI numbers are more significant than weight
:+2:

Thanks very much for the support. made a quick reaserch, but is more .clear know, would like to stiffer a bit the front as well.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi All

I am doing my seal for the first,time it is not that is totally leaking but.... has to be changed, sometime.

Question is, what oil shall I use for the Gen 3 bike. Bike is used for track purpose only.

I have went through a lot of search here and there and there are a lot who are usiing the 10W, my issue is that the manual tells you to use the :

Fork Oil
Viscosity:
KHL15-10 (KAYABA01) or equivalent SAE 5W

What shall I use ? if is important I weight 75Kg.

Pls Help thanks Jo.
Your weight does not dictate oil viscosity, it will only dictate damping characteristics. The KHL15-10 has a viscosity of 15.30 cSt @40c. So use anything that is close to that and you'll be good to go. Something like

Maxima 5wt Fork Oil
Race Techs Suspension Fluid US1 (5 wt)
Motul 2.5 wt Fork Fluid

Belray 5 wt is a little bit thicker but you might be ok with that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts