Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im headed to the track this weekend for the first time with a guy from this site(limeline), and was surprised there is no fee to race its donations only...And i was just wondering about getting some tips from fellow zx-10r.net members on like air pressure in tires, what to watch out for(like whats a lowside, whats a highside?) thanks for advice in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'll get things started and hope others jump in. I'm guessing folks have hesitated due to your questions. That is, your questions indicate that you have very little knowledge and taking a ZX10 to a trackday with very little knowledge is a very dangerous thing to do. So, let's start with gear: leathers, trackboots (not work or hiking boots), track gloves (not everyday street gloves). Extra gas, a toolkit, water, blue tape (if they require taping), take off your mirrors (or be ready to), unhook your headlight. Tire pressure is very arguable, and you should ask the folks where you are going. Regarding highsides and lowsides, go to Barnes and Noble tonight and buy a couple of the performance riding books and read as much as possible.

In the end, the most important part will be you. Don't let your ego get going. Ride your own ride, and if anything be the slowest person that day (it will make you faster in the future).

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey I will be in town in 2 weeks so don't forget. We will go fo sho! Anyway full leathers is a must and we here tape off all our glass/plastic. That track is not like the rest of the tracks in the world so I would not worry to much.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I will be in town in 2 weeks so don't forget. We will go fo sho! Anyway full leathers is a must and we here tape off all our glass/plastic. That track is not like the rest of the tracks in the world so I would not worry to much.
Oh i havent forgot pm me for my number!

I'll get things started and hope others jump in. I'm guessing folks have hesitated due to your questions. That is, your questions indicate that you have very little knowledge and taking a ZX10 to a trackday with very little knowledge is a very dangerous thing to do. So, let's start with gear: leathers, trackboots (not work or hiking boots), track gloves (not everyday street gloves). Extra gas, a toolkit, water, blue tape (if they require taping), take off your mirrors (or be ready to), unhook your headlight. Tire pressure is very arguable, and you should ask the folks where you are going. Regarding highsides and lowsides, go to Barnes and Noble tonight and buy a couple of the performance riding books and read as much as possible.

In the end, the most important part will be you. Don't let your ego get going. Ride your own ride, and if anything be the slowest person that day (it will make you faster in the future).
But yes i planned on wearing the leather suit i bought and my sidi boots gloves, and all that jazz, i always ride safe...and as far as it being the 10r and all i respect my bike very much and know that it has endless power and even if im the last guy like you said that will not hurt my feelings, i know things like this take time and plan on taking my time and working my way up to faster times...Im basically just looking for the do's and dont's of my first track day! I mean i already am a very cautious rider as it is!...But we dont have to do anything to our bikes to ride this track, so that's kinda nice!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh i havent forgot pm me for my number!

But yes i planned on wearing the leather suit i bought and my sidi boots gloves, and all that jazz, i always ride safe...and as far as it being the 10r and all i respect my bike very much and know that it has endless power and even if im the last guy like you said that will not hurt my feelings, i know things like this take time and plan on taking my time and working my way up to faster times...Im basically just looking for the do's and dont's of my first track day! I mean i already am a very cautious rider as it is!...But we dont have to do anything to our bikes to ride this track, so that's kinda nice!
Sounds like you have some help coming your way and that your head is in the right place. Here are a couple of do's/don't. If you are riding slower, make sure to stay on one line so that the faster riders can get around you easier (or else they will take you hard on the inside of a corner and you won't enjoy it). If you are slower, don't slam your throttle wide open the moment you become upright out of a corner (this will give guys on slower bikes, who are faster, the opportunity to pass you safely). Talk with the others about the corner lines (even draw pictures), work hard on holding good lines. Unless you have already mastered trail braking, get your braking done early to settle your bike. There is a bunch more stuff, but hopefully this will be a good start. And the most important part is to leave with your bike in one piece and a smile on your face!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want to experience a low side. Go into a tight turn hot and grab a handfull of front brake while leaned over close to the apex. If you want to experience a highside, pin the throttle while leaned over (works great on first lap when tires are cold). LOL

Na man don't even think about crashing and just keep your head up and take it easy at first. Hope you enjoy your first track day. They are addictive!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im really hoping that its going to be a blast im going to have a hard time sleeping this week, and im headed to the bookstore right now!...I just got sick of drag racing my bike, it just did not seem like much of a challenge i just kept winning hahaha

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great post guys thanks rep sent

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You will have a great time, just stay hydrated for one... Drink LOTS of water the night before and tons of it the day of. You will sweat it all out... Take tools, tape, spare whatever you have... Trailer your bike out there, don't ride it as you want to have it all prepped and ready to go the night before to save time at the track in the morning. If you have a video camera, buy a mount for it and use it. When I did my last track day I rolled video on it and it showed me all the places I really need to improve. I got mine on ebay for $30 and it is the basic one piece non adjustable type. Just bend to fit and leave it alone, super sturdy and cheap.

Next step and most important, find a shit load of money cause once you do one you will want to go back every weekend...

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
yeah, I have seen way to many guys running in the novice class zip out on to the track hit a couple corners and dump there bike instead of getting out there finding a good line letting your tires get warm ect...Just go the first couple laps at about 60% and find out whats the track like, where you need to brake, its all by feel, I'm sure you will do fine...Have fun though man!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd invest in a good set of track tires. Tires can make or break ya at a track day in a heart beat! Just take your time, learn the track and try to get up with some of the advanced and/or control riders out there and ask them for help. Also, like previously mentioned, you NEED to turn at least one full lap at a medium pace at the start of each session so your tires can heat up. There are more crashes at track days cause stupid newbs go out there and take off wide open there first lap and end up crashing. Then the red flag comes out and everyone has to come right back off the track and wait for the crash to be cleared before they can restart the session...

Reactions: HOOCH

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All sounds like great advice, plus i just picked up a book written by Nick Ienatsch that is endorsed by Kenny Roberts, seems like a great book so far with lots of good info!

·
Registered
265 Posts
theres lots of good advice sofar. i wanna recommend a specific book. twist of the wrist, theres 2 versions, read 1 first. MOST of the information youll (hopefully) find redunant.
the things you wanna do, the things programmed into you genetically... are in every ocasion wrong(unless you were lucky enough to ride alot of dirt as a child)
if you forget everything else... remember this, slow on the throttle, ease into everything, and NEVER look behind you. dont make any decisions for the faster riders iE: DO NOT move for them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'll chime in... I don't have many trackdays under my belt but as a recent first timer to another I would suggest if they are doing a track walk before the riding starts do it!! Normally this is a great time to see the track and ask questions as they show you the "race line".... Relax, expect to have fun and be a spunge asking as many questions as possible. Get with the control riders, have them follow you and pull you around the track. If they have class room sessions after each riding session go!!!

Keep things simple, put it in third and enjoy the ride... Be consistant - they will tell you hold your line. Don't worry about being fast, learn to be smooth.... Take a piece of the blue painters tape and put it over the speedo (but make sure you leave gear indicator visable). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't think this track even has flags. I think you just ride around whenever not like a real track day event. From what I have heard it is just a small gocart (ish) track at best.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts