Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys,

Just curious, but those of you who race, or have nice twisty canyon roads you frequent....you get your knee down right?

I want to try it...and for no other reason really than to do it, or maybe practice for a track day....in a parkin' lot or something. (And no, I don't just want to scuff up my knee pucks to show off to the boys at the coffee shop....lol.)

Do y'all have any tips to pass along, or suggestions?

·
Registered
572 Posts
One word for ya Rem....Shubie.:thumbsup: I really need to get a dedicated track bike. For me the fear is always dumping a next to mint condition street motorcycle. I'm in the process of looking for one so I can hit up practice and do some amateur racing at Shubie. Not to be real competitive or anything but just to enjoy what these machines are meant for. It's gonna be difficult for me though since my legs are short and I'm old and not very flexible any more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
for me its track only. i dont ride very hard on the street, just too many unknown variables that could be hiding around the next corner

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i've never drug a knee, and dont plan too until on a track. i've come close, but its just to risky on public roads. just two nights ago i was goin through a corner i ride through probably 5-7 times a week, wasnt really payin attention, and there was a deer chillin in my lane on the other side of the corner. had i been rippin along tryin to drag my knee, i woulda drug a lot more than just that! save it for the track man.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Rembrant said:
Boys,

Just curious, but those of you who race, or have nice twisty canyon roads you frequent....you get your knee down right?

I want to try it...and for no other reason really than to do it, or maybe practice for a track day....in a parkin' lot or something. (And no, I don't just want to scuff up my knee pucks to show off to the boys at the coffee shop....lol.)

Do y'all have any tips to pass along, or suggestions?
Do the novice group and learn. Not on the street.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fun2fly said:
One word for ya Rem....Shubie.:thumbsup: I really need to get a dedicated track bike. For me the fear is always dumping a next to mint condition street motorcycle. I'm in the process of looking for one so I can hit up practice and do some amateur racing at Shubie. Not to be real competitive or anything but just to enjoy what these machines are meant for. It's gonna be difficult for me though since my legs are short and I'm old and not very flexible any more.
I hear ya fun2fly...but, I'm not really that fond of shubie....I did a track school a few years ago, and had fun doing it, but thats all there is. I'd consider doing a track day....if they had freakin' track days....sheesh! I'm definitely not into it enough to buy a dedicated track bike, and certainly not going to turn my 10R into one either, so there really is nothing left.

In any case, Redden and I are looking into renting the track ( a group of us once or twice a month or something) but it would be a weeknight, and it would be limited to guys like us....um...mature...cough cough....lol.

I was just playing around today at the end of my road....large empty cul-de-sac with no houses or traffic around.....nothing more, just playing, thats all. You won't see me attempting it on the street around here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, maybe my post didn't make any sense.....lol....I'm not looking to drag my knees on the street, I was just playing around close to my house on a closed road with no traffic, hazzards, etc.

I did do a track school (on my '99 7R), and it was fun and all, but thats all there is...they don't have track days to speak of, and I'm not getting into racing.

No worries, I wasn't curious so I could show off for the locals on a Saturday group ride, I just wanted to try it, thats all.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
do it on the track...the road is not as good condition and you will wreck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have to be comfortable with riding at a quick speed and hanging off the bike. You don't practice draggin knee- it happens when you lean the bike over far enough. You really don't have to go that fast to do it if you can find some sharp turns. I'm not saying knee draggin is something you should be doing on the street... but you really don't have to go THAT fast to do it. I hang off the bike a lot, and often drag knee on the street as a result.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have never touched it on the street. I dont ride that hard but I have on the track. Its fairly easy to do on a trackday as long as you know what your doing and are confident. It will startle you the first time(it did me anyway).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Rembrant said:
I hear ya fun2fly...but, I'm not really that fond of shubie....I did a track school a few years ago, and had fun doing it, but thats all there is. I'd consider doing a track day....if they had freakin' track days....sheesh! I'm definitely not into it enough to buy a dedicated track bike, and certainly not going to turn my 10R into one either, so there really is nothing left.

In any case, Redden and I are looking into renting the track ( a group of us once or twice a month or something) but it would be a weeknight, and it would be limited to guys like us....um...mature...cough cough....lol.

I was just playing around today at the end of my road....large empty cul-de-sac with no houses or traffic around.....nothing more, just playing, thats all. You won't see me attempting it on the street around here.
Hey Rem, if you are interested in renting the track be sure and let me know and count me in. Apparently they were supposed to have a sort of, "Street Sport" class which meant you could run a street bike with taped up lights etc. Same rules as the track school but they said they didn't receive the interest. Seems everyone I talk to that did the school would be interested in this idea but can't seem to get it all together. Seems it should be easy to get something going through speedjunkie or sportbikes.ca but as you know getting from the idea to commitments/bookings are probably easier said than done. I'm the same as you, I don't really want any part of turning the 10R into a safety wired track only machine. We should haul the bikes up to Mont Tremblant or that new Calabogie track next season for a track day or two. Later

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
champ91 said:
Best advice. Do a track day. Then another. Then another. Dont try on the street or in a parking lot. Just my $0.02
:+1: Do a trackday and you will be draggin it very soon for sure. It all has to do with proper body position and lean angle and honestly now that I have been doing it for a while I try to just feel the ground with my knee and not drag it constantly:thumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fun2fly said:
Hey Rem, if you are interested in renting the track be sure and let me know and count me in. Apparently they were supposed to have a sort of, "Street Sport" class which meant you could run a street bike with taped up lights etc. Same rules as the track school but they said they didn't receive the interest. Seems everyone I talk to that did the school would be interested in this idea but can't seem to get it all together. Seems it should be easy to get something going through speedjunkie or sportbikes.ca but as you know getting from the idea to commitments/bookings are probably easier said than done. I'm the same as you, I don't really want any part of turning the 10R into a safety wired track only machine. We should haul the bikes up to Mont Tremblant or that new Calabogie track next season for a track day or two. Later
No worries Barry,
Will let you know for sure. Thats the kind of class I was thinking of, but if not, we could rent the track and still have a blast....redden is getting married this weekend in Digby then heading down to NH biking with the wife, so when he gets back we'll definitely be looking into it. I have a couple "mature" friends that are definitely interested, so we should be able to put a decent group together.

A street/sport class would be great, but unless its scheduled or put in their calendar a year in advance, anybody who wants to go, or who can afford it will be busy or have plans, IMO. We'll get it going one way or another.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We should haul the bikes up to Mont Tremblant or that new Calabogie track next season for a track day or two. Later
Barry, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on cake....count me in...lol. I'm actually buying a trailer this fall, or before next spring just for stuff like that.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
fun2fly said:

I'm on the same boat as you. After a long ride. I'm real good on dragging my ass around the house:lol: .

·
Registered
407 Posts
I learned how to drag my knee in a vacant parking lot. It's safer than a track or street because in a vacant parking lot you can practice travelling in a circle @ low speed without the threat of cars or bikes. I first touched @ 30 MPH. You simply keep travelling in the circle and with each revolution leaning/hanging more and more. So long as the vacant parking lot is clean and you are riding on good rubber the bike will not lose traction. The greatest challenge for many to drag their knee- myself included- is seating position. Got to get almost your entire butt off of the seat. Again, the vacant parking lot is best bec you are safe and can keep practicing over and over ag. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts