Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 284 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
You forgot attention to detail......just got the bike almost put together other than plastics etc just enough to start the bike(that was torn apart for valve check too, throttle bodies, valve cover gasket replacement) and it's starts good ...so good deal shows all my electrical connections and other things were good first time:thumbsup: but then :badteeth: :badteeth:saw major oil spurting out around the clutch cover after start-up :badteeth::badteeth:......apparently there is a oil seal that can get knocked off easy to miss where the generator shaft gets locked by the clutch cover:badteeth:.....I am really regretting checking/upgrading this as the bike was running fine but it had to be done for peace of mind so I guess lessons learned but now I have to work on it during the work week and hope to get it back to normal by Friday along with other projects like plastic repair on my cluster and a New back tire; :BangHead: rant over :helmet:

Bloo
Update:

I found the seal a long time ago today thought it was from something else or some other project....anyway my fault for doing multiple projects in just a few days late nights it fell out I never seen it until it was to late.....the good news half way to taking the Generator out again I learned I only needed to take the clutch cover out and the locking arm to the Generator so another lesson. :lol::thumbsup:

I post these results for the masses I wouldn't wish anyone to go through what I did :headshake best to go into the job with as much Information as you can that's what this forum is about. :wink: ........with that said ran into a coolant leak problem my fault again but no more leak at the Generator end shaft and no Strange noises I think it's ok for now a good long ride will tell more. :mrgreen:

Bloo

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I kmow the feeling having the job done then oil leak:BangHead: I'm glad you are getting it all sorted out it will be worth it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
my generator on my 04 explode.. the gear look good so if ifind a 05 generator i can just put the gear of the 04 so i wont have compatibility problem?

·
Registered
753 Posts
my generator on my 04 explode.. the gear look good so if ifind a 05 generator i can just put the gear of the 04 so i wont have compatibility problem?

This topic has been extensively treated. You may want to do a search about it.

As an advance, the 04 and 05 generators are completely different. Parts can't be swapped between them.

Having said this, you need a complete 05 generator with a gear code matching that of the clutch gear in your bike.

2004 generator:

2005:

·
Registered
753 Posts
When i look at the 2 all the part number match . the part #16085 cant be swap from a 2004 -2005 ?

Sure about that? :spit:

2004 part #s:

16085-0041 GEAR,"A"
16085-0042 GEAR,"B"
16085-0043 GEAR,NO MARK
16085-0044 GEAR,"C"
16085-0045 GEAR,"D

2005 part #s:

16085-0053 GEAR,"A"
16085-0054 GEAR,"B"
16085-0055 GEAR,NO MARK
16085-0056 GEAR,"E"
16085-0057 GEAR,"F"

·
Registered
753 Posts
Of course you can.

As a word of advice, check out the service bulletin posted in the first page of this thread and carry out the mod.

I catched mine at the right time before it grenaded. To my knowledge no modded 04 generator ever had problems again.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
04 gear and 05 gear are different. If you use the generator from an 05, you must correctly match up the letter on the generator gear to the letter on the drive gear of your clutch basket. The correctly matched gears of 05 gen with 04 clutch are NOT the same letters!! Look in the service manual or at my other post in this thread for the correctly matched gear sets depending on the model year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the tuto. I just made it on my bike. My VIN was in but when I checked the spacer i got a 1.4 on the rotor side and a 1.2 on the gear side but the clearance was ok !?!?!? Then I re-assemble like it was said with a 1.2 on rotor side. Maybe someone already did it but put the 1.2 spacer on the bad side (the cover had some marks)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never remarked before if there was a little gear noise coming of the generator. I observed that when I started it for the first time after the job. Is that normal?

121 - 140 of 284 Posts