Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

81 - 100 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
buy a stetoscope or what its called and play doctor, then you will figure out exactly where the sound is coming from, atleast thats what i did.
But if you do get any nasty sounds out of the generator even if you do have a engine thats made after the required fix or whatever i would just buy the parts and do the repair, doesnt cost much and its real easy to do.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I have mine apart right now, with about 71,000 km on it. The end-play (clearance) as found was 0.6mm, the spacers were about 1.1 ~ 1.15mm thick and had some visible wear, the shaft and the inside of the rotor appeared to be in good shape.

I'm doing mine with the engine out of the bike and on the workbench.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just did the procedure!
My Engine is 17xxx and the rotor spacer is already 1.2.
I keep 0.6 very tight clearance on other side.
Unless the washers had a different material, And I understand that have, for me it is lost of time and money.
I dont know If was just dirt or If Really had Another material.
I have mine apart right now, with about 71,000 km on it. The end-play (clearance) as found was 0.6mm, the spacers were about 1.1 ~ 1.15mm thick and had some visible wear, the shaft and the inside of the rotor appeared to be in good shape.

I'm doing mine with the engine out of the bike and on the workbench.
2 things seems a few that were suppose to have the smaller washer don't :dontknow:....1.15mm suggest it had the correct washer in the first place, I would ask if it was worth it but you know I already know the answer peace of mind and fresh washers :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
742 Posts
:+1:
As long as some of the involved parts have visible wear then they HAVE to be replaced, even if the gap is inside tolerance. That to reset, or even defuse the ticking time bomb in our engines.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
pulling mine today.. waiting on parts, but what else does one do when the weather is shit and you want to work on bikes?

·
Registered
578 Posts
ordered the parts for mine today. dropped the zx6r race bike off at the performance shop for new fork seals and dyno tune. will drop the 04 (Orange Julius) off when i pick up the 6. better safe than sorry. Ski

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
just pulled my generator and it seems that someone or the shop already did this mod on my bike washers look like new and no galling.... So much for the noise from my motor coming from the generator... kinda knew it wasn't when i started the bike up after 2 months and it was knocking like a champ when cold..

So now is the big decision, part the bike out, rebuild motor, find a new/used one on ebay....

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
just pulled my generator and it seems that someone or the shop already did this mod on my bike washers look like new and no galling.... So much for the noise from my motor coming from the generator... kinda knew it wasn't when i started the bike up after 2 months and it was knocking like a champ when cold..

So now is the big decision, part the bike out, rebuild motor, find a new/used one on ebay....
about what # of production do you have? ..I finally got my parts in don't order from where I did see my past posts it took forever. :badteeth: I will tackle this in the next bad weather system in the next 2 months.

bloo

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
about what # of production do you have? ..I finally got my parts in don't order from where I did see my past posts it took forever. :badteeth: I will tackle this in the next bad weather system in the next 2 months.

bloo
My bike is in the mid 8xxx range... measuring the gear end it is sitting right at .68mm. the washers for sure do not look like the ones i had seen galled up in the thread, mine have an almost gun bluing color to them.
Will try and get some pics up later ttonight.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My bike is in the mid 8xxx range... measuring the gear end it is sitting right at .68mm. the washers for sure do not look like the ones i had seen galled up in the thread, mine have an almost gun bluing color to them.
Will try and get some pics up later ttonight.
That bluing in the washers IS NOT good nor normal. That color is from temperature build up due to extreme friction. If you don't replace that washers they WILL wear out soon with known consecuences.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
That bluing in the washers IS NOT good nor normal. That color is from temperature build up due to extreme friction. If you don't replace that washers they WILL wear out soon with known consecuences.
The noise i had from my bike was rod slight rod knock.. it was really noticable when i fired it up before draining the oil & radiator fluid.. Either way i have already parted most of the bike out, not worth it to me to rebuild the motor or find another used motor.
Had some good times on the bike for sure, and was hard to sell some of the parts she was gorgeous and worked amazing barring.

Anyone need all the parts to do this fix? will sell all the gaskets and washers, circlips for cheap!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just to know

I read all the post (service bulletin), is that a kind of recall, mean that the replacement as to be done by Kawasaki ??? If so could you tell me (somebody), if I have to call Kawasaki (Canada) in my case.

In other term is that to be done by kawasaki ???

Is that the same as a recall ?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
No, it is not a recall. It is a "factory authorized modification" - a modification that was recommended if the bike was going to be used under certain circumstances. In other words, "Here is a modification that we suggest (not require) that you do. If you want to do it, it's up to you to buy the parts and either do it yourself or pay for the labour ... but here's the part numbers that you need and here's how to do it". Calling Kawasaki will not do you any good. Just order the parts and do the procedure yourself.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Well I got the 05 generator and got mine out 04 engine vin 14523 almost 20k miles and the generator was perfect? The 04 had a c gear the 05 had a b gear and it works without switching the gears?

81 - 100 of 261 Posts