Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
thanks guys... so, anything after 18111 has been updated? mine is 8276.... i guess i better order some parts, and think about getting this done over the winter. thanks for updating this nightmist! i would love a pdf copy of this. i will pm you my email address if you dont mind? Ski

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just send me the mail address and i will send it your way. Still waiting on the parts for my bike and will take some photos of how things look and if it helps and whatnot

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Oh and yeah.. looks like you might benefit from the repair or atleast take it apart and check if you have the 1,2mm spacer and tve clearance you need

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wish I had that info before installing a whole 2005 generator. Oh, well. Anybody interested in a complete functional '04 generator ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just finished doing this repair on my 04 with 6000 miles on it. The original thrust washers were galled and showing noticeable wear, plus there was excessive clearance (aka slop) between the circlips. Im really glad I took it apart to replace that junk. I put in all new parts as shown in the bulletin, and now the shaft is nice and tight with 0.6mm clearance. This job is a PITA and it took me 4 hours to do. Hopefully you have small fingers! On the plus side, I was due for a coolant change and oil change anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just finished doing this repair on my 04 with 6000 miles on it. The original thrust washers were galled and showing noticeable wear, plus there was excessive clearance (aka slop) between the circlips. Im really glad I took it apart to replace that junk. I put in all new parts as shown in the bulletin, and now the shaft is nice and tight with 0.6mm clearance. This job is a PITA and it took me 4 hours to do. Hopefully you have small fingers! On the plus side, I was due for a coolant change and oil change anyway.
Pics please!
Let us see why do that...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Define PITA what is a PITA for some may not be for others :idea: like was it the time wise, was it a combo of the tear down and time, was it replacing the washers and getting the cir-clips back on....etc etc :dontknow: I am really wanting to do this for a Winter Mod if it ever happens high 90s here most of the week :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Define PITA what is a PITA for some may not be for others like was it the time wise, was it a combo of the tear down and time, was it replacing the washers and getting the cir-clips back on....etc etc
Its just really tight in there gaining access to get the generator pulled out. You have to take out the airbox, remove the starter, and move a water-neck fitting to get the generator out. Getting it reinstalled can be a challenge too, but I was able to do it by myself. You have to pull the clutch cover so you can align the gears with a screwdriver. Its a neat design and very compact, but what a bitch to work on.
Replacing the shims and circlips is definately the easy part. I used two of the 1.2mm shims (one on each side) to end up with perfect clearance. The circlips have two different sides so one edge is square and the other is round. Install them so that the sharp edge (square edge) is facing outwards (towards the ends of the shafts). So the washers ride on the rounded smooth face of the circlips. Hope that helps.

Here is a pic of the new washers vs the old washers. This is the only pic I took. Bike had 6000 miles. Never raced, approx 10 dyno pulls, very rarely has it hit the rev limiter. Engine number 033XX

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Its just really tight in there gaining access to get the generator pulled out. You have to take out the airbox, remove the starter, and move a water-neck fitting to get the generator out. Getting it reinstalled can be a challenge too, but I was able to do it by myself. You have to pull the clutch cover so you can align the gears with a screwdriver. Its a neat design and very compact, but what a bitch to work on.
Replacing the shims and circlips is definately the easy part. I used two of the 1.2mm shims (one on each side) to end up with perfect clearance. The circlips have two different sides so one edge is square and the other is round. Install them so that the sharp edge (square edge) is facing outwards (towards the ends of the shafts). So the washers ride on the rounded smooth face of the circlips. Hope that helps.

Here is a pic of the new washers vs the old washers. This is the only pic I took. Bike had 6000 miles. Never raced, approx 10 dyno pulls, very rarely has it hit the rev limiter. Engine number 033XX
That's great for Starters I am sure others can add more later. If anyone does the full "How To" I will of course have no problem adding it to the "How to Section" I believe many Members will want to tackle this....I always believe don't fix what isn't broke but in this case I believe fix before it gets broke and that mostly comes from the heart I love this bike so much and if I can add some protection to make sure it last for a long time then I will. :wink:

bloo

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
This is on my to-do list also, for this winter. It will be interesting to see how mine looks after 70,000 km on it ...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
2 things I don't understand.

How was this not posted years ago?

If the new spacers/washers correct the 04 generator wobble, why did they re-design the coupling in 05?

Sent via iPhone

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If the new spacers/washers correct the 04 generator wobble, why did they re-design the coupling in 05?
The 05 design is a lot better because they added a huge retaining circlip to hold the gear drive in the back of the flywheel. The 04 models are only held together by the small circlip on the shaft. So the 04 model is still going to wear out the bushings sooner and need to be serviced more often.
Link to pictures
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111174

If anyone does the full "How To" I will of course have no problem adding it to the "How to Section"
The PDF on the first page of the this thread is an excellent walk-through and all you should need to get the job done

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
So basically this is a temporary fix to a permanent problem. I wish this bulletin would have been posted years ago. I remember talk of this a few years back but not a whole lot of info out there regarding the effectiveness of the new shims/spacers/washers whatever you wanna call them.

Sent via iPhone

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
So basically this is a temporary fix to a permanent problem. I wish this bulletin would have been posted years ago. I remember talk of this a few years back but not a whole lot of info out there regarding the effectiveness of the new shims/spacers/washers whatever you wanna call them.

Sent via iPhone
I actually don't remember ever there being a Bulletin mosts posts on this site is information what is needed to make it like a Gen edit(2005) Gen I maybe wrong but either way this still is the FIRST Bulletin Paper Trail and Official Post for the Gen 1 Generator. :wink:

The 05 design is a lot better because they added a huge retaining circlip to hold the gear drive in the back of the flywheel. The 04 models are only held together by the small circlip on the shaft. So the 04 model is still going to wear out the bushings sooner and need to be serviced more often.
Link to pictures
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111174

The PDF on the first page of the this thread is an excellent walk-through and all you should need to get the job done
I disagree about it wearing out sooner than the 05 with Bigger Cir-clip it was already Identified that they had too small of washers that seems to be the problem for some that can cause pre-mature wear...I would suspect if you do this service bulletin repair you should have no more worries for the life of the bike, my bike is 8yrs old with 35,000 miles some hard drag strip miles too with no problems. If I do this it will be considered 'Preventative Maintenance' at the most. :wink:

As far as the "How To" you maybe right that's all that is needed I like it better when Real Members like yourself Post Real Pictures clearer with explanations of what's going on with more details. :wink: but for starters this thread will do just fine. :thumbsup:

bloo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just did this on my bike today, was nice and easy, just follow the steps and you can't go wrong.
Id say the hardest part was getting the coolant hose loose..
helps to have a lot of diffrent tools for the job tho other than that it was so easy i guess my girlfriend should be able to do it aswell :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another option would be replace the stock alternator with the race kit alternator, which goes on the left side of the crank. I'm not sure if it's available still.

41 - 60 of 261 Posts