Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oops, forgot to include the quoted post:
Still available anywhere? Or just go by the photos at the beginning of the thread?
Cheers
Engine Serial on my '04 is ZXT00CE007216 .....

Does anyone still have the .pdf of the service bulletin for this? My e-mail is [email protected]

Good thing the weather is getting colder .....
You may download from my file cloud through the link below.
<a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/thumbsup.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Thumbsup" >:)</a>

https://mega.nz/#!NscinbxB!-1CVcMljvt1MNb0-yi3FAAdt-nRA-UlezssfiMtXBuo

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read the whole post twice and searched youtube and found this video:

I will start end of this week with taking everything out. Should i order all parts before i begin or are there some parts that needs to be inspected first?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I ordered everything in the list prior to disassembling the bike. I did not want to have it all over the bench for any time waiting for the parts to arrive. I ended having to do so anyway; one of the parts on the rotor side was damaged due to friction and had to order that. My 10R had around 8k kms when I decided to check out the alternator. Glad I did so. Will post a picture of the damaged part later today.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The new spacer has a soft metal layer to help reduce friction. The original is bare steel like the one in the picture.

[u

·
Registered
15 Posts
Omg that looks not so good. Thanks for sharing the pictures. My kawasaki dealer told me today that it is not required to replace these parts because it was not listed from kawasaki based on the vin number. He told me it was already replaced otherwise he would have seen red signs based on the vin number, but i doubt if this could be localized on this manner. What are your experiences from the dealer based vin information?

·
Registered
753 Posts
According to Kawasaki, all bikes with engine number lower than 18111 are eligible. So, what is your bike's engine number?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ZXT00CE008528 so this motor should have the bad parts from the factory but the thing is that the dealer says me that kawasaki registers the updated motors based on the vin. I doubt if this is true and wonders if anyone else knows of this “recall” is registered at kawasaki when the updated parts are installed by the dealer?

·
Registered
753 Posts
As defined in the service document, this one is not a real factory recall. Kawasaki failed to stay on the safe side and determined this modification should be carried out on race or press machines. We now know that all bikes within the stated engine number frame should have the generator upgraded with the new parts, regardless of its intended use. I don't think any dealer has ever performed this modification as enforced by Kawasaki.
With this in mind, you must do the job on your bike's alternator, even if you remove it and all looks good which I honestly doubt. As it was perfectly defined, it is a ticking time bomb, literally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Indeed, the dealer told me they never updated these parts and they have never had a damaged motor caused by these parts. It looks like this is unfamiliar by them and that is strange, any dealer should know this. Kawasaki is doing a very bad job at communication because it is not even listed based on the vin number. Wondering how many second hand bikes have been sold by the dealer without this update, simply because they don’t know this. I think i will need to change these parts, thanks for your support.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Agree, you need to replace the original parts with the new updated ones. There are reports here on the forum of a few engines seriously damaged by alternators falling apart.

Post your findings here; it is interesting to know in what condition did you find your bike's alternator.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nice pictures. Certainly looks much better than mine did. Those spacers are of the old type, so no, they have not been replaced. The new ones have a noticeable whitish layer covering them which is of soft metal. At least you don't have to replace any alternator component as all looks great. There is some pitting due to friction on the surface of the spacers that mate against the alternator. That wear is how the catastrophe starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks a lot for your support, it was a lot of work due to the fact that the bike is 16 years old and everything needed to be cleaned up, bolt by bolt, but is was worth it. Greetings from 🇳🇱

·
Registered
753 Posts
No problem! Glad to be of help. I'm quite proud of my 1st gen. Not a single spot of grease where it should not be. 12600 km total odo and 1st owner. Serviced to the letter. Last things I did was the exchange of the water pump cap large o'ring, and the oil seal, dust seal, and oil on the front fork.

261 - 280 of 284 Posts