Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Can the gear be pulled off? There are quite a few highly knowledgeable people here who can help you. I just happen to be one that can't unfortunately. But I can :bump: the thread! :mrgreen:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I dont think so it seems like its held together as one piece.
It's strange that the 05 will go into the 04 but not the otherway around...just with that i would thing there is a big enough difference to matter but to what extent i have no clue..sorry man

·
Registered
795 Posts
The generator gear is actually 2 gears separated by some kind of rubber pre-load offset. One gear has to be rotated slightly relative to the other, so that both gears will slide on to the clutch gear.

I did the 04-05 swap and this replacement was the biggest PITA EVER!

Like I posted once before, there is probably a right way to do this, but the way I did it must have been the wrong way. Like building a ship in a bottle, only with bloody knuckles! In retrospect, maybe it would have been easier if I had removed the clutch...

To answer the question, I don't know how critical it is to match the gears. I threw mine in and it worked.

TIP: when tightening the generator cover screws, do so a bit at a time and make sure you can still turn the crankshaft. The first time, my gears didn't match up right, and after I tightened the screws, my engine would not turn at all! Scary! :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It must be matched. Thing is all the crankcases of the 04-05 were not the same, so they had to make different cranks/clutches/generators to match them.

So by putting a wrong gear you risk a non100% fitment between the gears. And when a generator is granading is not a good thing. Not to mention they are the weak point of the 04-05's.

It is easy to swap it and is better to remove the clutch, it will be much easier.
Also note that between the 2 gears, there must be a gap of 0.6mm. If not, fillers are available from Kawi. I think i posted the part nos. in another thread somewhere.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I see what you mean.
I am assuming you have a 04 and you found a used 05 generator with another gear letter?
Is your 04 C gear destroyed?

I'll have a look and let you know...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't have the service manual in front of me, but it has charts regarding which parts will work together. It's a must read (if you haven't already).

I have an '04 generator for sale. It's not the later improved version, but I'll sell it cheap if it will help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts