Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey brand new to the forum world. I was hoping to get a complete list together of all the little tools and main stuff needed for most work on the zx10r. I used to bring mine to a shop but now I got tire stands and stuff and I want to do alot of the work myself. just little shit like brakes forks suspension tires. what are the common and uncommon tools you guys recommend as has to have? thanks!

2015 zx10r yoshi alpha getting a delete and ecu flash. soon

·
Registered
333 Posts
Metric sockets, Get both standard and metric Allen bit sockets, metric open/closed end wrenches. I know to remove the front axle it requires that big hex bit tool but i got away with just using the back side of a spark plug socket with an extension going through the middle. Big 27mm socket for rear axle nut (could be wrong on the size). Rubber mallet to get axles out. Short and long screw drivers (air filter box has one screw in the center that is deep in there). You can Get away with buying an inexpensive torque wrench just for setting axle torques. Pretty standard stuff but it dont hurt to have a variety of everything because you would be surprised with the shit you come up with to get something out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also youll need one of those tiny pocket flat head screw drivers for popping clips and removing the fuel lines from the tank when you go to pull out your ecu.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How deep into maintenance do you want to go?

The more maintenance you want to under take the more tools you will need. They can get quite specific. Throttle body sync gauges? Fork spring compressor? Castellated nut socket?

You can do a lot with basic tools but better tools will make easier work. Eg, yes sockets are absolutely essential but a good set of T bars will make many tasks so much easier.

Buy what you think you need to get going and start expanding your tool collection as needed. Believe me it will never stop!

·
Registered
77 Posts
First, get the service manual. Second, start ticking off maintenance tasks on the bike, set-up and the like and buy (or preferably make) tools as needed. When you get to suspension rebuild or deep engine work, you decide if you want to buy the tools or pay somebody else to do it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Harbor Freight is your best friend! Ok, so my ratchet set is a older Craftsman but for odds and ends i go to HF. Other best friend is my Haynes Manual - and this place (youda man SD!).
Youll want a decent array of Metric, both sockets and hex/allen head and of different lengths of both! I can tear down a good portion of either bike with just a few sockets and allen heads. Id also get some smaller screw drivers for tight areas. HF also had the larger sized sockets i needed for stuff like the axle nuts, sprocket nuts (get a breaker bar!), etc.. Other than that its just little stuff like lithium grease and locktite. Happy wrenching!

Edit - what Shawn said about the torque wrenches, get a couple of different "strengths", they dont have to cost a ton.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This thread could go on forever about tools needed but keeping it basic I would recommend a long skinny needle nose. Very handy for hose clamps in tight spots as well as the occasional dropped hardware in a crevice. Some clear 5/16 tubing for bleeding brakes and maybe even a vacuum bleed kit which works amazing! Lots of rags, carb clean, gasket maker, lithium grease, and it goes on. Oh and zipties! The T handle set mentioned earlier is another simple but effective kit of tools that I prefer over a socket set.

You may want to start with a tool box if you dont already have... beer fridge, radio, posters of bikes, cars, butts, you get the picture haha. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of the general stuff I knew good idea to use the manual. and the brake bleed tubing. I forgot about bleeding brakes I always did it by feel in a car.thanks guys any more ideas spread em! hopefully I started something good ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts