Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Dont hate me if this has been answered before, I went back a few pages and nothing helped re answers. I have an '05 ZX10R.

Today I tried starting the bike, turned key and it went thru the normal motions, then FI light started flashing rapidly, so I am assuming it threw a code. Trying to start the bike it would turn over but not fire. Turned key off, back on, same deal but this time I couldnt hear it buzzing (fuel pump priming), just the dash doing its thing, and back to the rapidly pulsing FI.

I turned it off again. Put the bike upright, put up the sidestand. Put it back down and sat the bike down. Turned the key back on, it does its normal start up, prime, no FI light this time. Started the bike, came right on and running no drama. Rode it to work since I absolutely had to. No dramas at all. Before I parked it, I turned the key off, back on and still no problems.

Now my question after all this is: If the bike throws a code, should the FI light keep flashing until the code is attended to or is it an intermittent notification, ie did my bike just have some sort of glitch (wiring maybe) and its ok atm or is the code/problem still there but it will do the same thing only in intervals?! Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your help.

My other bike (Street Triple R) just killed its stator and reg/rec the other day, so I am kinda spewing at the moment.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes mate the light flashes whilst there is a fault you could pull the code but the side stand switch would do that & will return out the blue with no warning.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
If the FI light is flashing fast when starting and no code is visible, that means the tip-over sensor is tripped and causing it not to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I rode the bike home after work and it had no further dramas so far, no more FI light coming up. So will have to see how I go and hopefully next time will have time to pull the code straight away. Do I read the manual right that the code is not being stored and needs to be read straight when its coming up via the FI light only? What kind of a system is that anyway lol...they improved it quite a bit with the Gen 2 to just show it on the dash.

Just one follow up: hat aux lead the manual is talking about to ground the terminal when reading the code...can I just use any sort of wire to ground it or what kind of lead do I need? I bought the bike with no tools or extras, heck I didnt even get a service history (yeah probably stupid but I bought it on a bit of a whim because I always wanted a Gen 1). Thanks again.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
So will have to see how I go and hopefully next time will have time to pull the code straight away. Do I read the manual right that the code is not being stored and needs to be read straight when its coming up via the FI light only? What kind of a system is that anyway lol...they improved it quite a bit with the Gen 2 to just show it on the dash.

Just one follow up: hat aux lead the manual is talking about to ground the terminal when reading the code...can I just use any sort of wire to ground it or what kind of lead do I need? I bought the bike with no tools or extras, heck I didnt even get a service history (yeah probably stupid but I bought it on a bit of a whim because I always wanted a Gen 1). Thanks again.
Considering that bike was designed and built some 14 years ago, technology has changed a lot in that time. Just FYI on that.

And yes, there are no codes stored. It's done like that so that if the code isn't active, it's meaningless and no longer an issue. You know, pretty much like all of the electronics do. Especially one from 14 years ago. :lol:

You need a ground lead. Like, the kind that will connect and ground the wire. Like any wire. It ain't some magical tool that's included with the bike that you're missing. Hook up a wire to it when the code is active and read the code. But since the bike is 14 years old, I would highly suggest you invest in an Abacus to help you out if you don't already have one. :helmet:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/all-gens-so-your-fi-light-218666.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I wasnt 100% serious about that, its just amusing. Esp since Kawasaki evidently realized it a year later and made the codes readable on the dash, so I am not having a whinge about 14 year old tech, its more an engineering approach innit?

Anyhow, thanks for the info. The bike threw the code two more times, each time it goes away if I turn off the key, put up the sidestand and put it back down. It just does it when the bike is cold. I do have the manual, first thing I did was print out 200 pages and put it in a big ass folder for reference so yeah I do have all the info. I just need to wait until it happens when I actually got time to tend to it. My bike is a daily, not a weekend toy.

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just to put an end to this story: It is the tip over-sensor playing up. So anybody experiencing similar issues might consider this. Cheers.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
If the FI light is flashing fast when starting and no code is visible, that means the tip-over sensor is tripped and causing it not to start.
:iamwithstupid: :ayyy:

:lol:
Glad you got it figured out and resolved!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts