Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can hear ignition but cranking is slower. After about 4-5 attempts it starts and runs fine. It’s happen twice since I took ownership about a month ago, but it’s unpredictable. I’m going to see if I have a video from the GoPro. I really don’t want to take it in because the dealership will never find a root cause. I had an issue once where the dashboard settings, including the time and Bluetooth settings reset overnight. Perhaps it’s an intermittent battery issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
The battery is only used for starting and providing power to maintain the memory of things. If the battery is cold, it can crank a little slower than normal. But you should be holding the starter button down until it actually starts, not pressing it 4-5 times quickly. It's not an autostart system. So it either cranks slow and starts, or it starts and shuts off. Two different things. It does sound like the battery is a bit weak. Time to put it on a charger for a while to see what happens with it on a full charge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is only used for starting and providing power to maintain the memory of things. If the battery is cold, it can crank a little slower than normal. But you should be holding the starter button down until it actually starts, not pressing it 4-5 times quickly. It's not an autostart system. So it either cranks slow and starts, or it starts and shuts off. Two different things. It does sound like the battery is a bit weak. Time to put it on a charger for a while to see what happens with it on a full charge.
Thanks. I’m holding it down for several seconds and then stopping to let the starter cool. It takes several of those repetitions to start when this happens. The TFT display says 12.1v when not cranking, and 14+ when idle.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Thanks. I’m holding it down for several seconds and then stopping to let the starter cool. It takes several of those repetitions to start when this happens. The TFT display says 12.1v when not cranking, and 14+ when idle.

The voltage doesn't really mean anything other than it's charging fine at idle. The voltage doesn't really matter, it's the amperage that turns the starter. A weak battery can still show 12 volts, but not put out the amperage needed to crank it. Same reason you can't hook up 8 AA, 1.5 volt batteries together to get 12 volts and start the bike. The starter won't get too hot unless you run it continuously for 20-30 seconds. If it runs that long, it would need a short cooling off period. Otherwise, you can just hold the button down until it starts.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
There has been a lot of complaints with the starter motor service live G5 onwards, what miles has it done. if you test the battery and out that out the equation i think the starter could be suspect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There has been a lot of complaints with the starter motor service live G5 onwards, what miles has it done. if you test the battery and out that out the equation i think the starter could be suspect.
Thanks for your reply. It has less than 2k miles on it. The interesting thing is once it finally starts, everything is normal. If I turn it off again immediately, the starter is fast again and it fires right up. The other interesting thing is that when it’s cranking slower, I can hear it ignition happening through the tailpipe. It doesn’t look like I have a video recording of it. I’ll need to make sure I use my GoPro every time I start it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happened again here’s the video. One thing I’ve noticed is that it’s usually after I get gas, but not always. It’s like it’s not priming all the way after the pressure is released from the tank. I cannot reproduce this on demand.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
709 Posts
If its still under warranty take it to the dealer. There were some issues starting the Gen 5 bikes too like others have mentioned. IIRC it was a faulty ECU issue. They'll report whatever findings they gather to Kawi.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I watched the video a couple times. Seems pretty normal and you're just too fast with everything. You put the key in and immediately whack the starter. Give it a few seconds before doing that. Let the instrument cluster do it's bootup cycle and let the fuel pump finish it's priming operation. Then, you released the starter as soon as it popped but wasn't fully up to speed. Another half of a second on the starter button would be fine. Once it stalls out, then the AFR is off a bit in the cylinders and the subsequent starts take more effort. Crack the throttle open slightly next time it does that to give it more air. But the starter is cranking over at full speed every time.

I would have to say it's more related to your technique and rushing through it too fast rather than the bike itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I watched the video a couple times. Seems pretty normal and you're just too fast with everything. You put the key in and immediately whack the starter. Give it a few seconds before doing that. LEt the instrument cluster do it's bootup cycle and let the fuel pump finish it's priming operation. Then, you released the starter as soon as it popped but wasn't fully up to speed. Another half of a second on the starter button would help. Once it stalls out, then the AFR is off a bit in the cylinders and the subsequent starts take more effort. Crack the throttle open slightly next time it does that to give it more air. The starter is cranking over at full speed every time.

I would have to say it's more related to your technique and rushing through it too fast rather than the bike itself.
I appreciate your input. I’ve been riding for years and I’m aware of the priming, cranking and starting process (I have built several engines in my past, including a 636 on a 6R). This specific time, I did not give it a lot of time to prime and I let the starter go to early. However, this only happens about once every 20 times I start the bike. Next time I can film this I’ll just lay into the starter until it cranks over and you will see the problem more clearly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
if your above point is accurate, then injectors are fouled. Apply a couple tablespoons of injector cleaner to the tank; let it set for awhile. Question: did you use ANY additives. (I'm thinking like a dang noob; I learned long ago can't believe self reports of blah blah years of experience as so many simply lie like Christ doesn't exist. So....covering a few ideologically based geometry here. Yes, for those here that know well I'm a dork nerd, now going through algebraic geometry, pia with the theorems, that possible you added a fuel additive that dorked the system. Just a guess. ).

point being: I notice a pattern of noob liter owners that in error think that the liter is slower than what they're used to riding. Usually an outdated pre-g4 10r, but other stuff, too. The error is that they don't sort the throttle early in the learning curve in combination with using the correct transmission setting.

We have an old time throttle guy here, I hope, that modded the throttle here for noobs that tend to like straights for whatever reason.

Let us know if you added anything to the tank and provide any further info that may oddly spark within your consciousness. I can't help has hate to work on bikes, but others here love the tech stuff. Thank God.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if your above point is accurate, then injectors are fouled. Apply a couple tablespoons of injector cleaner to the tank; let it set for awhile. Question: did you use ANY additives. (I'm thinking like a dang noob; I learned long ago can't believe self reports of blah blah years of experience as so many simply lie like Christ doesn't exist. So....covering a few ideologically based geometry here. Yes, for those here that know well I'm a dork nerd, now going through algebraic geometry, pia with the theorems, that possible you added a fuel additive that dorked the system. Just a guess. ).

point being: I notice a pattern of noob liter owners that in error think that the liter is slower than what they're used to riding. Usually an outdated pre-g4 10r, but other stuff, too. The error is that they don't sort the throttle early in the learning curve in combination with using the correct transmission setting.

We have an old time throttle guy here, I hope, that modded the throttle here for noobs that tend to like straights for whatever reason.

Let us know if you added anything to the tank and provide any further info that may oddly spark within your consciousness. I can't help has hate to work on bikes, but others here love the tech stuff. Thank God.
Thank you! Nothing but supreme gasoline since mile 0 has been in this tank. I notice this mostly after a fill up, but it’s happened after a lap on my local twisty road. I shut it off for about 5 minutes, and it took me about 5 rounds of cranking (about 5 seconds each). You could hear ignition, but it sounded either like the starter was slower, or not all cylinders were firing, eventually clearing itself up. I’ll be putting more fuel in tonight and will hopefully catch it on camera again.

I love the bike, but there is something clearly wrong here.

Thanks again.

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
Thank you! Nothing but supreme gasoline since mile 0 has been in this tank. I notice this mostly after a fill up, but it’s happened after a lap on my local twisty road. I shut it off for about 5 minutes, and it took me about 5 rounds of cranking (about 5 seconds each). You could hear ignition, but it sounded either like the starter was slower, or not all cylinders were firing, eventually clearing itself up. I’ll be putting more fuel in tonight and will hopefully catch it on camera again.

I love the bike, but there is something clearly wrong here.

Thanks again.

Try fuel injector cleaner; simply add to tank. I don't like the starting problem, so please allow bike to idle for 5 minutes then shut down. Don't want anyone to be stuck on the highway. Been many times; So, do All in your driveway. Then restart. If it starts right up, as it should, then let that bike idle for ten minutes and set your timer. Then retest. If that bike does NOT start, then off to the dealer as the problem could be the secondary servos or whatever else the tech guys will sort.

Why we have warranties to cover defects from whatever source.

If the bike starts nicely after the ten minute test, I would want to do same test again tomorrow or simply have my AAA tow card ready, alert the wife of the problem, have cell phone, and do a field test. See how it goes. Any starting problems, must have dealer sort and once dropped off at dealer I would alert Kawa at their phone number on your card to give them a gentle head's up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts