Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here but I have been around liter bike engines for many years. We build and run liter bike engines in race cars and I have been particularly fond of the zx10r since the gen1 came out. The first race engine I ever built was actually a zx11 sleeved down to 1L before the gen1 zx10r came out. Anyway, I have a fully built 2019 zx10r engine that I have been playing with that I am considering using surface gap plugs in and going to a 10 heat range. I see lots of guys doing this with the gen4 engines but not much info out there for guys doing this with gen5/6. I see one post where a guy mentions using the part number for a gen4 (r0045q-10) in his gen5 engine but that sounds like a really bad idea, 19mm reach vs 26.5mm. Right now we are having good results with the stock Silmar9b9. We have high compression pistons, Ti rods, V&H epoxy ported and milled head, cams etc so seems going to the 10 heat surface gap may work. Engine peaks power at 14.5-14.7k and rev limits at 15k for now, may go higher as we get more comfortable. The NGK plug that looks like the correct one would be R0465B-10. Has anyone run that plug with success? Not expecting power gains, just hoping to be a little more on the safe side of detonation etc. thanks for any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Haven’t asked them, but I am sure I will get the usual response of “too many variables” and they can’t share others information. They ported some cylinder heads for us, they didn’t build the engines and our pistons, rods, and cams are bespoke so they likely won’t want to touch it. I just had an engine on the engine dyno yesterday and have already ordered the plugs. I will be back on the dyno in a couple weeks, just curious if anyone has tried them on the gen6 or if I am in uncharted waters. I will reach out and ask V&H for grins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great. Thanks for the report. They specked out as the correct ones to try, just couldn’t find anything out there suggesting anyone had run them in these engines. They should arrive tomorrow I think and we will have the engine back on the dyno in a couple weeks. Was there any major tune difference required to run them? Or mostly drop in and go with minor adjustments?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts