Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
15mm longer if I recall correctly and should resist the wheelies a bit better? I love my wheelies and I'm running the 5th gen links, dogbone and shock with my original 4th gen swingarm. If you want to emulate the 5th gen swingarm you could first start by running a longer chain and running your axle further back in the 4th gen swingarm.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was wondering about this as well. I don't remember if the frame changed between Gen4 and Gen5.
The frame dimensions are effectively exactly the same. I do believe the kick-stand mounting spot is angled differently but that's kind of irrelevant.

As far as putting gen5 swing arm on gen4--I would say it's totally worth it. Yes it's longer, which is a benefit already, but I would also reckon that it has improved rigidity properties for side flex for better grip at lean angle.

Gen4 swingarm was a good try but not ideal, as I remember hearing about pro races drilling holes in them to get more flex. If you compare two bikes side by side, gen5 swing arm has more going on. It is beefier with welds in new spots. I would also combine that with gen5 linkage.

Speaking of which, I will soon have a spare gen5 swing arm with carbon fibre covers pre-installed. For 2019, Motoamerica had outlawed any type of swingarm covers for stock 1000 class so I can't run them. I don't really want to be pulling the cf covers and spend a weekend cleaning off the glue so I'll just get a different swing arm. So I'm happy to sell this one to anyone looking to upgrade their gen4.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a nitron shock on my gen4....

I wonder if a gen5 arm will benefit the bike...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a nitron shock on my gen4....

I wonder if a gen5 arm will benefit the bike...
The swingarm will benefit the bike for sure. The shock may or may not work ideally since gen5 linkage is different from gen4. However, it was common for gen4 linkage to get upgraded (to be similar to gen5 linkage) and shock re-valved for it. So if your shock has had it done then you're all set. I do have an OEM gen5 shock and gen5 linkage available. They would go well with the gen5 swingarm. Gen5 oem shock is much better than gen4 oem shock.

Yes, you will need gen5 linkage to go along with the gen5 swingarm for best results.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just thinking of the SA since I don't want to revalve the shock

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there any benefit for the change... ?
There is only one significant benefit: bike is more stabile at hard acceleration at lean. Done it myself (together with gen5 frame, but I guess stability comes mainly from better swingarm). Swingarm is built stronger, but visually looks same. No need to upgrade unless making very good pace on circuit. Yes it allows much longer wheelbase, but not using it, makes turning "lazy".

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is only one significant benefit: bike is more stabile at hard acceleration at lean. Done it myself (together with gen5 frame, but I guess stability comes mainly from better swingarm). Swingarm is built stronger, but visually looks same. No need to upgrade unless making very good pace on circuit. Yes it allows much longer wheelbase, but not using it, makes turning "lazy".
The gen 5 swingarm has some extra bracing to stiffen it compared to the gen 4. If ytou remove the wheel from a gen 5 you can more easily see the bracing, its where the main 3 pieces or so come together basically in front of the rear wheel itself joining them all together (tough to explain position).

For OP I would honestly only change if you had to, to me I don't see much benefit assuming its going into a gen 4 frame which doesn't have any pivot point adjustments to it. Unless thats the only swingarm you have or need one and the gen 5 is cheaper I wouldn't bother (if you wanted to lengthen the bike/swingarm your just get block extension anyways).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts