Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have no experience whatsoever with the OEM G5 or MSS Links. Without a realistic comparison and running the numbers I am simply not in a position to advise you in that manner. Could be awesome or it could be totally meh, but either way I am betting it would not be instant bolt-on success and will require some trial and error. That's the reason our 5% link sold so well. It did exactly what it was supposed to do as long as people set it up exactly the way we told them to.
Out of my own curiosity, why did you stop manufacturing the links?? Seem like there is still a good demand for them...

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Out of my own curiosity, why did you stop manufacturing the links?? Seem like there is still a good demand for them...

There is demand, but not "good" demand. The Gen4 is technically a 7 year old bike at this point and tooling up, buying raw materials and sitting thousands of dollars of product on my shelf waiting for likely years before they sell is just not a good business model when there are so many other things to focus on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is demand, but not "good" demand. The Gen4 is technically a 7 year old bike at this point and tooling up, buying raw materials and sitting thousands of dollars of product on my shelf waiting for likely years before they sell is just not a good business model when there are so many other things to focus on.
That makes sense..

I'll wait on Carlos' experience with Ohlins and Gen5 link

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
I'll wait on Carlos' experience with Ohlins and Gen5 link
Done two seasons with LDH's valving and Gen5 link.
Result: always nice wear pattern and good grip, tearing only in cold whether (ist normal).
Before ran gen4 link with Ohlins standard valving, but had always little tearing going on.

Advice: Send your TTX to LDH for revalve. TTX revalve (from gen4 C6/R7) is required if you switch to Gen5 link.
This setup saved me money on slicks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
And don't go crazy with spring.
Gen5 Ohlins comes with 95N spring from factory and only 10mm preload.
I run 100N spring with 90kg geared and 8s off from lap record (where its ca. 2minutes).

·
Registered
22 Posts
And don't go crazy with spring.
Gen5 Ohlins comes with 95N spring from factory and only 10mm preload.
I run 100N spring with 90kg geared and 8s off from lap record (where its ca. 2minutes).
Hi Carlos. I really appreciate your information. Thank you very much.

I'll go with same baseline settings. In this track, I'm about 9s from the record with moto2 rider and WSBK spec Fireblabe.

Unfortunatelly, I'm in Brazil and sending my shock to be revalved in the US is not feaseble.

LDH, pm'd you for valves and spring.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Done two seasons with LDH's valving and Gen5 link.
Result: always nice wear pattern and good grip, tearing only in cold whether (ist normal).
Before ran gen4 link with Ohlins standard valving, but had always little tearing going on.

Advice: Send your TTX to LDH for revalve. TTX revalve (from gen4 C6/R7) is REQUIRED if you switch to Gen5 link.
This setup saved me money on slicks.
Carlos, just one more doubt... New valving for the TTX would be C6 / R7 or is it the standard set up?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Carlos, just one more doubt... New valving for the TTX would be C6 / R7 or is it the standard set up?
C6/R7 is gen4 Ohlins as shipped new from Ohlins (meant for gen4 linkage)
I don't know what is the valving in new Gen5 Ohlins KA364, guess it must be much softer than gen4.
C37/R5 is LDH setting what worked for me with Gen5 link. He's page: ROGUE RACING Ohlins TTX Shock

P.S. See ohlins.com, it gives 6 distributors in Brazil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
C6/R7 is gen4 Ohlins as shipped new from Ohlins (meant for gen4 linkage)
I don't know what is the valving in new Gen5 Ohlins KA364, guess it must be much softer than gen4.
C37/R5 is LDH setting what worked for me with Gen5 link. He's page: ROGUE RACING Ohlins TTX Shock

P.S. See ohlins.com, it gives 6 distributors in Brazil.
Now it's crystal clear, Carlos.

Once again, thank you!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I'm now using a mechatronic ....I'm changing it to a TTX 36 MKII
If you don't have MKII jet and additionally need to open the shock anyway, then you may consider upgrading your mechatronic adjusters to manual adjusters.
MKI adjusters are relatively cheap, MKII adjusters are expensive, GP adjusters cost fortune.
I have done it for a Ducati mechatronic TTX, not 100% sure about Kawasaki.
I needed these Ohlins parts for MKI adjuster assembly, see picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've already traded my mechatronics for a ttx36....

Now i'll purchase valves, springs and link. Tried to look for an used gen5 link but couldn't find any.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,577 Posts
I've already traded my mechatronics for a ttx36....

Now i'll purchase valves, springs and link. Tried to look for an used gen5 link but couldn't find any.

I do not think there will be allot of used links for the Gen 5.

The OEM Gen 5 link perimeters are close to most of the Gen 4 race link perimeters. The Gen 4 Needed links bad, but this bike is decent enough.

Now sure if Attack decided to make links for the Gen 5 also.
MSS do have some. slight change over OEM.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Gen 5 links and dog bone are hard to come by unless you buy a shock/links/dogbone as a combo used as a take off.

The dogbone is actually pretty affordable from the dealer (bought one...never used it) but it turned out that by the time I put in bushings and found links it would be more expensive so I sourced parts from a wrecker on ebay instead.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have a nitron race pro shock, stock gen 4 links, I wonder if I change links I would have to revalve it....

just wondering.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have a nitron race pro shock, stock gen 4 links, I wonder if I change links I would have to revalve it....

just wondering.

That Nitron probably isn't even valved correctly for the stock link let alone a linear one :crackup:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I purchased that Nitron from Thermosman, to my weight so I imagine is somewhere good...

and the improvement was noticeable.... I just know it could be better...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I once got Thermosman, Max McAllister and Dan Kyle all at the same dinner table in Danville VA. That was an entertaining evening...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The problem with nitron shocks is their setup, 2 cables, one for preload and the other bottle for compresion....

·
Registered
18 zx10r
166 Posts
Thread revive!

Thinking of getting an aftermarket shock. Will be riding at TD's. Is it worth getting a linear link to complement the shock for 16+ models? I'd rather buy once with a good setup and correct valving. Thanks.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts