Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am a cnc programmer. If there is enough demand for a certain size linkage i can make a few sets of them for alot less than mss price. They would be from the same spec alloy and identical sizes. If there is demand let me know. Its no use making 1 set. If you have a batch then price gets cheaper

·
Registered
836 Posts
Right guys im in the process of trying to fit a gen5 shock to a gen4.
Reason being im on a budget lol.
My bike is stripped and im awaiting the gen5 in the post.
1st problem is the links are vastly different.
This isnt a problem if i know what ratio i need to make the conversion work.
I can make any links at my work so what i need to know is what dimensions do i need?
Any ideas or advice please?
I was worried to read the gen5 has a softer spring.
Shall i fit gen4 spring on the gen5 shock?

·
Registered
374 Posts
So if i make a set of links the same as gen5 then it should work like a gen5 execpt the swingarm is a tad shorter so it should be slightly harder ride?
Gen5 Shock matches with gen5 links. Even though you have access to machines to make your own links and dog bone, why go through the design, programming and setups when you can buy everything for £150. And if you cut your own you still have to source inner parts for the dog bone.

Just seems like a lot of work unless you plan to make a batch.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Gen5 Shock matches with gen5 links. Even though you have access to machines to make your own links and dog bone, why go through the design, programming and setups when you can buy everything for £150. And if you cut your own you still have to source inner parts for the dog bone.

Just seems like a lot of work unless you plan to make a batch.
Its not that hard when you got machines to hand. I can program these in no time and i got the alloy in stock

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sounds good, make me a set while you're at it.
As ive said somewhere on here before if there us enough demand i can produce a batch of them but i gotta get them right first time so id need to know exactly what sizes to produce some. Downside for most is im in the uk. Right near mss as it happens

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Here are my results on this.
I developed my custom link plates for cheap G5 bone.
My aim was link ratio of 2.1...2.15. I could not just use G5 plates because replacing linkage is not allowed in superstock, so my plates needed to be at least visually similar to G4 (im cheating, many others do).
I got link ratio of 2.13 with these dimentions: 92, 136, 67mm. Note, only difference to G5 stock plate is one dimention (66>>67mm). These dimentions yielded same rear height as with G4 stock setup.

I cannot give direct "before-after" riding opinion, because I made big changes with shock. I had all standard valving TTX with 110 spring (my dry weight 83kg), but upgraded to what LDH uses for valving (R5, C37) and 105 spring.
I can tell that all this made significant improvemet on race track. Grip is better, takes more throttle to get traction control working. My tyre wear went perfect for first time, even takeoff tyres will cure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
A member said to me that he has info that putting Gen5 shock with Gen5 link plate dimentions on Gen4 yields a bit too stiff suspention. I belive there truth to this if swingarm of Gen4 is few cm shorter than Gen5.
How much longer is Gen5 swingarm measured from rear axle to swingarm axle?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
A member said to me that he has info that putting Gen5 shock with Gen5 link plate dimentions on Gen4 yields a bit too stiff suspention. I belive there truth to this if swingarm of Gen4 is few cm shorter than Gen5.
How much longer is Gen5 swingarm measured from rear axle to swingarm axle?
I just measured my Gen5 at approximately 600mm, and my Gen4 at 575mm. So approximately 25mm difference.

I've changed the gearing on the Gen5 to -2/+0, adding a couple links to the chain, while the Gen4 is totally stock at the moment. So, that may account for the difference from what WF is saying.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The gen5 links are geared 28% more than gen4.
When fitted to gen4 that ratio is very hard and required me to wind off all th damping which obviously isnt right.
The links im selling are 19% more and they allow you to use the damping.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The gen5 links are geared 28% more than gen4.
When fitted to gen4 that ratio is very hard and required me to wind off all th damping which obviously isnt right.
The links im selling are 19% more and they allow you to use the damping.
I think you numbers are not correct.
Looks like you are looking only at link plate "rotational leverage component". There is other motion components in play with zx10R rear suspention, like what happens if you weld link plate to swingarm... suspention still works..."swingarm rotational component". Using Kyle, MSS, or Gen5 link on Gen4 makes link system ca. 10...13% stiffer (not 28%).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This makes difference of some 2.7% in stiffness assuming that distance from swingarm axle to plate mounting hole stayes same (I dont know if a fact). This small difference could be felt by some riders. Fortunatley we know that Gen5 link hardware is very similar to MSS, so no big worries.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
When experimenting with Gen5 dogbone and custom links, make sure your rear height (swingarm angle) stays same as before. If rear height changes, it will have big impact on handling.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts