Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know everyone's experience with mr12 and if anyone tuned for it or just running it. Most threads ive seen on this are on s1000rr and they claim 5-8 hp bump with no tuning and stock fuel mapping.

·
Registered
578 Posts
not sure where you read no tuning required. mr12 is a HIGHLY OXYGENATED race fuel. without added fuel in the map, it may bump hp slightly but, you will not receive the gains estimated by VP without a richer map. you will need approx. 10-12% or more, fuel in the map to see the gains on the dyno, due to the added oxygen in the fuel. without the richer fuel map, you may run WAAAAAAY TOO LEAN, and cause damage. Ski

Reactions: Kllongbrake

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
not sure where you read no tuning required. mr12 is a HIGHLY OXYGENATED race fuel. without added fuel in the map, it may bump hp slightly but, you will not receive the gains estimated by VP without a richer map. you will need approx. 10-12% or more, fuel in the map to see the gains on the dyno, due to the added oxygen in the fuel. without the richer fuel map, you may run WAAAAAAY TOO LEAN, and cause damage. Ski
What if he is already running rich?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mr12

better u talk directley to mr12 users tuned/untuned. can tell u very little to nothing gained untuned, may even see a loss. 10+ hp gain in midrange, 8hp up top average with throttle position tune. not a pour in fuel. also requires some maintaince.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
In a R1 saw just dumping it... +3hp... and I was not in the mood to tune.... to a fuel the bike wont see anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
According to Nels at 2wheeldynworks, one should tune to the MR12 for optimum gains...10 plus HP gains easy on the liter bikes...apparently the Gen 5 can store that tune along with a normal tune to pump fuel in the ECU somehow. just hit a few buttons to switch tunes onboard.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I would not use it without a tune.
Octane rating has nothing to do with the tune.

If your are spending 30 bucks a gallon of gas, might as well pay for a tune and gain as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i've had several bikes dyno tuned on mr12. the 10+ midrange and 8 up top are increases over a bike already pump gas dyno tuned. here's the real deal for the untuned bike, the first base full power pull on mr12 will give u a true pour in hp #. tuning finished at a 13:1 afr peak power increases vary from 14 to 18hp depending on original afr. possible to gain little peak power with pour in mr12 as stated. my stating little or no gains is based on et/mph measured at strip by a lot of guys just trying mr12 with no tune for it. most new bikes are little lean in low/midrange and richer up top. little high rpm gain usually with a loss at lower leaner throttle settings. i even tried mr12 with my pump gas tune on the 07, would not leave the line hard, wanted to bog slightley and et/mph pretty much the same as result. so my buddy spun a bearing on his 14r, rebuilt it with repaired/lightened crank/carillo rods/13.5 drop in pistons. been running a generic mr12 map rickey gadson sent him over a year ago. bike runs mid 5.7/124 and high 8.8/153. finally got it mr12 tuned at races in orlando fl last weekend, bike ran 5.46/130 and 8.59/160. mr12 needs tune -period.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't want to multi quote everyone. but thanx for the insight Gaz I went back far into a few post you made on similar threads to this one few years back about running the mr12. I will tune for it or least try to doubting my confidence to do it myself plus the 2 shops here both do not understand woolich and or only tunes PCs. there's a shop in mesquite Texas few hrs drive that does fantastic work. couple guys I follow on youtube actually only use them for their bikes. also thinking if me and Nels can work something out since I have the woolich software and he can send a tune (paying him of course).

as someone above stated very wisely the fuel isn't cheap no point in cutting corners on the tune.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mr12 is a big power adder tuned out. my 04 went on the dyno with mr12 added at 174, tuned to 188, the 07 was tuned on pump at 180, extending rev limit and mr12 gave 193. bike will rip thru powerband on mr12. i used to drive 5.5 hrs one way to have my bikes tuned by a certain tuner. going fast is not a matter of convinience, matter of commitment. one tune, one time, lasts forever. many consider mr12 expensive yet i see them spend much more throwing ineffective parts and mods at thier bikes as my buddy with the 14r was doing. $300 tune and cost of a can of mr12 for about 15 hp is dirt cheap. i go thru 3-4 cans a season, not that expensive to go fast. that gen 5 will really respond to this fuel with a throttle position tune instead of just a top end tune so low/midrange gains are maximized also.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mr12 is a big power adder tuned out. my 04 went on the dyno with mr12 added at 174, tuned to 188, the 07 was tuned on pump at 180, extending rev limit and mr12 gave 193. bike will rip thru powerband on mr12. i used to drive 5.5 hrs one way to have my bikes tuned by a certain tuner. going fast is not a matter of convinience, matter of commitment. one tune, one time, lasts forever. many consider mr12 expensive yet i see them spend much more throwing ineffective parts and mods at thier bikes as my buddy with the 14r was doing. $300 tune and cost of a can of mr12 for about 15 hp is dirt cheap. i go thru 3-4 cans a season, not that expensive to go fast. that gen 5 will really respond to this fuel with a throttle position tune instead of just a top end tune so low/midrange gains are maximized also.
Can you clue me into throttle position tune? are you referring to the ETV map?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Huge fan of mr12 here.
I use it on my gen 3 some times
I used to go +1 front or -2 rear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Only thing I would add is I have read you shouldn't leave mr12 to sit i your tank very long. Some people drain thier tanks after track days or flush with pump gas. Not sure if that is necessary, but I have read that. OP, what are your plans for your bike with mr12?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only thing I would add is I have read you shouldn't leave mr12 to sit i your tank very long. Some people drain thier tanks after track days or flush with pump gas. Not sure if that is necessary, but I have read that. OP, what are your plans for your bike with mr12?
Wanted to set the mr12 tune to my M mode would be easier for men to remember. I would be doing some track days and lot of my friends do highway runs. Here in el paso we have str8 roads for miles especially when heading out to the desert. It would give me an edge. I wouldn't store it in the tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts