Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

My Name is Bradley. A youngen from Brisbane Australia.I have a 2013 zx10r that I bought new. So far I have added oggy nobs, double bubble, rad guard, seat cowl, -1+2 sprockets,deleted the cat, 02 sensor elminator and have a two brothers shorty pipe (black series). It has needed a tune since the pipe had gone on and finally next week the tune is booked. I'm getting the dyno done at Procycle Dyno in Brisbane. They'll flash the ecu. Procycle have plenty of experience with Australian super bike racer and good friend Mike Jones and I'm hoping to get some decent numbers at the rear wheel.
The bike currently has a huge flat spot lacking power till high rpms (for example 4,5,6 gear at 100kmh on highway loses power twist throttle a tad more and she takes off.. or she doesn't get scary/fun until about 9/10k rpm) so I basically 3rd gear everywhere. I've been to Willowbank drags and run consistent 10.1 - 1/4mile in this untuned state with a 1.8 60ft. Mike Jones ran his zx10r superbike at 9.9 - 1/4 mile. Same 60ft time against me but his top end pulled away.

Sorry about the long intro but now I have a question. I've done a lot of research and haven't found any info yet. I'm considering a K&N RACE Filter when I do the tune. Is it worth getting the race for street use. I want gains and my goal is to have a mint condition powerful superbike without pulling the engine apart etc. Obviously there's minor HP gains with the filter but the tune will fix my power curve and maybe increase the HP/plus the RACE filter may make a fair improvement overall. Is it safe to replace/clean the filter every service or will grit still get into the engine? Should I stick with a street verison to be safe? Mikes ZX had a full system, street K&N filter, ecu flash and still managed to pull 198hp and he podiums in ASBK. Another mate has a gen4 Zx10r with link pipe but stock pipe, -1+2 and got 187hp on the same dyno.

thanks for reading and any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is little to be gained in a filter. However prolonged use of a filter that may possibly let more dust through into the intake runners and thus the valve seats on the street seems like there may be alot to lose.

If I was in the same situation as you I would stay with a street filter. However that just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm runnin the K/N race filter on the street. I Only put about 500 miles on it and pulled it out over the winter since I was bored. The filter itself was very clean, so that leads me to believe that 1: I didn't put enough miles on it for a good evaluation or 2: every piece of dirt that sucked into the filter went right through it and into my motor..... I'll see how it goes this summer.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
The OEM filter will flow more air than the K&N filter when new. The problem is the OEM will clog up sooner and is not reuseable because it traps more crud. The K&N (or BMC which is a better filter) is reuseable and will flow more air than OEM after the dirt starts to accumulate.

If you're looking for power gains from an air filter, they are minimal at best. If you keep the OEM one in and change it regularly, you're better off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay cool. I might just run another oem or get the K&N street filter. I'll have to see what the shop recommend on dyno day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up getting 188 untuned and 191 rwhp with big clean up in the low to mid range rpm. Im impressed. Goes pretty hard now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts