Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading to a gen 5 and have still got some spare wheels from my gen4 , I automatically thought they would be a straight swap excluding discs and maybe traction rings , but the part numbers are different ?
Anyone got better info please
Thanks johno

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,625 Posts
The difference in part numbers is likely due to the hubs being strengthened to support the bigger rotors on the Gen 5. The wheels will likely fit, but I wouldn't use them with the bigger rotors from the Gen 5. There's a reason they were beefed up to handle the force and heat from the larger rotors.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,625 Posts
Less heat since they are bigger... more force because they have more leverage.
No, not really. But yes, maybe you're right. :lol:

Brakes work by converting kinetic energy (energy of motion) into heat. The Law of Conservation states that energy is never created nor destroyed. Kinetic energy is transformed into heat through frictional forces. The faster you can convert it, and the more heat you can hold, the better the braking power will be. That's why carbon brakes are so good, btw.

So the bigger rotors produce more force by creating more heat. That's just as simple as it gets. Primarily this happens because for a given speed, the outer circumference of the larger diameter will be traveling faster than a smaller diameter rotor. The advantage of the bigger rotors though is it is able to shed that heat quicker as well.

So if you're trying to state that, in this case, the bigger rotors will be able to shed more of the heat quicker and the rotor carriers/hub will be cooler, you may be correct in that statement. But saying they will run cooler overall isn't a true statement.

For the purposes of this thread, the wheel hubs were beefed up to accommodate the bigger brakes and more braking forces and that's why the part numbers are different.

·
Registered
334 Posts
But saying they will run cooler overall isn't a true statement.
I disagree. Unless bigger rotor is thinner or has more holes, the kinetic energy must heat up more metal. More mass with same amount energy transfered equals lower temp. Second factor to keep temp lower is more surface area causing better cooling between brakings.

I disagree that reason for "beefing up hubs" is heat or more braking force. Current temperature at bolt area is no problem at all and changes very little if you change bolt radius. Force on hub (or bolt) would be same if you brake to lift rear end having 310 or 320 disks. I think bigger hub would be mostly beacause of rotors beeing more stabile if bolts radius is increased.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would brake with the same amount of braking force regardless of size of rotor. That is, it takes the same amount of braking force (at the the front rim) to raise the rear wheel no matter how large the rotor is. I would say the same amount of force spread out over the larger area would generate less heat. But, these are floating rotors and very little heat should actually make it from the brake to the rim anyway. Assuming the dimensions are all the same between both rims and I would have no problem running the '15 wheels on a '16 bike with '16 rotors, again, assuming the dimensions are the same and they would fit. I'm not recommending anyone else run them, I'm just saying I personally would not be afraid to. I am interested if the dimensions are the same because I too have a GEN 4 with a spare set of rims and am strongly considering adding a '16 model to my collection for next season.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
wheels are the same. Jeremy was going to sell me gen4 wheels until he found out they are the same on the gen5. Yes as mentioned brakes are different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi again
So my findings are that the wheels are the same but with different front spacers for the new forks , as we all know the front discs are a lot bigger also so new angled valves are also fitted .
Thanks johno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts