Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably I will be buying big lots of parts from a gen5, in order to convert my gen4 into the new gen5 electronics.
mechanically I will be getting a gen5

and all electronics.

I want to know if I need to change something in the transmission also?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm guessing(hoping) you have a good reason for doing this. Not really sure exactly what gen5 parts your switching to aside from electronics. Wasn't sure what mechanically you're getting a gen5 means.

I would call Farrell Performance and ask Jason nicely since he is the only person, I know at least, that knows Kawasaki's inside and out.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
I have a complete harness/ECU/dash etc that needs a home...has a Woolich flash with a u4.4 tune on it for a stock motor, full exhaust, MWR filter...201hp/86ftlbs

·
Registered
220 Posts
you need the following from a gen 5:

gauge cluster,
harness
ecu
IMU
throttle bodies
airbox
crankshaft position sensor
shift drum
shift sensor + adapter
plug ends for gen 5 fuel pump / or gen 4 harness end or a gen5 fuel pump
clutch lever sensor
left handle bar controls
non oem shift sensor to clear the frame - woolich shifter works great.
... maybe a few other things im forgetting at the moment/that i ignored due to racebike.

Otherwise it will run fine / great. I recommend also using a gen 5 header if you're on a stock header.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like there is space to make mechanical adapter for drum end.
you cannot adapt gen 4 position sensor with gen 5 electronics. The gen 5 sensor is a potentiometer with a higher voltage range than the gen 4 switch produces. Also the gen4 position sensor is just a simple switch.

Install a gen5 shift drum and sensor is required.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So there is no problem with the sensor in the transmision???
The "transmission" is interchangeable (aka the actual gears, shafts, etc). The gear change mechanism is relatively the same. You start running into issues when it comes to the drum and forks which are gen specific.

Best to just buy a used kit like this (specific to the gen5 though): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gen-4-11-15-Zx10r-Transmission-Gear-Box/233254581339?hash=item364f0e745b:g:EeIAAOSwSHBc~7Fs&LH_ItemCondition=4

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is the price point for just selling current bike as is... using gotten funds for Gen5. plus additional $$money$$ that you would have spend into doing crazy conversion?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
or I can put a entire gen5 trans in the gen 4 engine????

here is the deal, a friend of mine, his gen 5 the engine seized, and he purchased a entire engine kit + electronics, and he will sell me what's lefts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you cannot adapt gen 4 position sensor with gen 5 electronics. The gen 5 sensor is a potentiometer with a higher voltage range than the gen 4 switch produces. Also the gen4 position sensor is just a simple switch.

Install a gen5 shift drum and sensor is required.
I meant fabricating a piece that goes between gen4 drum and gen5 sensor.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is madness. Sell your bike. Dont buy your mates stuff and buy a gen5. Then save yourself a massive amount of time and agro plus cash.
Ps noone seems to mention the gen5 cases having extra machining to clear the different gear sizes. Thats what a kawasaki technician told me

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will see how much is all and decide...

for sure if the Head is cheap will buy, the gen5 head is better...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will see how much is all and decide...

for sure if the Head is cheap will buy, the gen5 head is better...
yes, but i can tell you, that i am pulling on R1 and s1krrs now with the gen 5 electronics.

Also, i checked and the gen 4 and gen 5 shift forks are the same PN so not needed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that an gen 4 engine going to a gen 5 electronics pics 6hp only from that....

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know that an gen 4 engine going to a gen 5 electronics pics 6hp only from that....
Just electronics? or everything listed above to get 6hp? I'm guessing almost everything above. ETV, IMU, Throttle Bodies, airbox? 2 degrees more advance.

I could see 6 hp with larger throttle bodies, STP gone, larger airbox, and an IMU controlling the TC better.

Very interesting for sure.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts