Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably I will be buying big lots of parts from a gen5, in order to convert my gen4 into the new gen5 electronics.
mechanically I will be getting a gen5

and all electronics.

I want to know if I need to change something in the transmission also?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm guessing(hoping) you have a good reason for doing this. Not really sure exactly what gen5 parts your switching to aside from electronics. Wasn't sure what mechanically you're getting a gen5 means.

I would call Farrell Performance and ask Jason nicely since he is the only person, I know at least, that knows Kawasaki's inside and out.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
You can run a complete gen4 trans in a gen5 and vice versa.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
453 Posts
I have a complete harness/ECU/dash etc that needs a home...has a Woolich flash with a u4.4 tune on it for a stock motor, full exhaust, MWR filter...201hp/86ftlbs

·
Registered
220 Posts
you need the following from a gen 5:

gauge cluster,
harness
ecu
IMU
throttle bodies
airbox
crankshaft position sensor
shift drum
shift sensor + adapter
plug ends for gen 5 fuel pump / or gen 4 harness end or a gen5 fuel pump
clutch lever sensor
left handle bar controls
non oem shift sensor to clear the frame - woolich shifter works great.
... maybe a few other things im forgetting at the moment/that i ignored due to racebike.

Otherwise it will run fine / great. I recommend also using a gen 5 header if you're on a stock header.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like there is space to make mechanical adapter for drum end.
you cannot adapt gen 4 position sensor with gen 5 electronics. The gen 5 sensor is a potentiometer with a higher voltage range than the gen 4 switch produces. Also the gen4 position sensor is just a simple switch.

Install a gen5 shift drum and sensor is required.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is the price point for just selling current bike as is... using gotten funds for Gen5. plus additional $$money$$ that you would have spend into doing crazy conversion?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
or I can put a entire gen5 trans in the gen 4 engine????

here is the deal, a friend of mine, his gen 5 the engine seized, and he purchased a entire engine kit + electronics, and he will sell me what's lefts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
you cannot adapt gen 4 position sensor with gen 5 electronics. The gen 5 sensor is a potentiometer with a higher voltage range than the gen 4 switch produces. Also the gen4 position sensor is just a simple switch.

Install a gen5 shift drum and sensor is required.
I meant fabricating a piece that goes between gen4 drum and gen5 sensor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is madness. Sell your bike. Dont buy your mates stuff and buy a gen5. Then save yourself a massive amount of time and agro plus cash.
Ps noone seems to mention the gen5 cases having extra machining to clear the different gear sizes. Thats what a kawasaki technician told me

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will see how much is all and decide...

for sure if the Head is cheap will buy, the gen5 head is better...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will see how much is all and decide...

for sure if the Head is cheap will buy, the gen5 head is better...
yes, but i can tell you, that i am pulling on R1 and s1krrs now with the gen 5 electronics.

Also, i checked and the gen 4 and gen 5 shift forks are the same PN so not needed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that an gen 4 engine going to a gen 5 electronics pics 6hp only from that....

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know that an gen 4 engine going to a gen 5 electronics pics 6hp only from that....
Just electronics? or everything listed above to get 6hp? I'm guessing almost everything above. ETV, IMU, Throttle Bodies, airbox? 2 degrees more advance.

I could see 6 hp with larger throttle bodies, STP gone, larger airbox, and an IMU controlling the TC better.

Very interesting for sure.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts