Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a chance to try to test-fit a Gen5 full stock exhaust (Cat-back) on a Gen4 and it didn't fit. It seems like the part that is different between bikes is the not so much the location where the manifold ends but rather the location of the bottom mounting point, which Cat bolts up to. That obviously doesn't really matter since nobody will be swapping stock exhausts between bikes but what is great is that aftermarket exhausts don't use that mounting point at all. This means that aftermarket exhausts should fit both bikes. This includes slip-ons and full systems. Has anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a yoshimura alpha 3/4 system for the gen5 on my gen 4. Only thing that had to be done is remove the gasket donut out of the header side. As well as the mounting point under the rear set doesnt match up. But the passenger peg mount holds it nice and tight

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
there are a few threads already on this. you can switch, they will fit, with some slight modifications. Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
So it seems like location of the foot peg mounting points has been also changed on a gen5 from gen4.
Maybe not. I recall hearing that the gen4 header is longer then the gen5. Overall lengths are rhe same but with the longer gen 4 header and the longer muffler section would put the mounting point off. But if you swap the gen 5 header with the gen 5 muffler on the gen 4, it should line up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
gen 5 header is a bit longer, changing the lower mount area a bit. Ski

Reactions: Lanister

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
here is the thing....
When I installed the gen5 on the gen4, felt a difference especially on the mid range... but the dyno showed at WOT some improvement but not much... but the bike was faster on the street.

then did the mod on 2 gen4s that I tuned (filter, exhaust, flash) both made 179hp. both guys called me like WAO how responsive the bike is now, that it felt like a different bike, their words is that they need less gas to get to same speed and the bike feels better...

I will have one of those bikes dyno again to see.... but all 3 guys have good seat on the pants wao results for a cheap mod...

you have to cut the gen5 exhaust like 1 inch in the mid pipe..

·
Registered
Gen5
108 Posts
I recently did the reverse operation. Full Gen4 Akrapovic exhaust in my new Gen5.
There were no problems except that I needed a smaller lamdba nut, and the intermediate support did not exist. Solved with a metal flange.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clearly, Gen5 headers are better designed. To be economical, I thought about moving my Gen4 exhaust to Gen5, which would have included moving the headers as well but I am glad I didn't. New Graves pipe looks damn hot. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts