Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allo ZX10 riders

I got this suggestion to go from 190/55/17 to 200/55/17
I did some reserch but did not find anything about using a 200/55/17 as a rear tire Pirrelli supercorsa pro for track day.

What do you think of it?

Salutations
Ray

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I use the 200 pirelli slicks on my gen 4 race bike. I also used it on my gen 3. Great tire. However it won't be the supercorsa pro. It will be the supercorsa D.O.T., or the superbike slick.

The supercorsa pro only comes in a 190 unless you can get different tires than what we can from our distributor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

All the feedback that we get in our National Superbike series from the guys riding in the WSBK series is that the Kawa is the most affected by the 200 tyre, and it handles much better on the 190. That was part of the reason they were battling to sort out the handling on the Kawa's in the WSBK, and only now that they reverted to an inverted swingarm, can they get the 200 size to work properly. We are restricted to the Supercorsa Pro in our National series and therefore to the 190 size, but it works extremely well and for trackdays there is no reason to go to the 200 size. The gen 4 handles and turn-in much better with the 190.

I believe that Pirelli is about to or have just released a 200 size Supercorsa Pro, but apparently the Kawa riders will stick to the 190 size. The 200 size work well on the other makes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So their is no good reason to change to 200 size because the bike handles better with 190?

BTW: I should had start 2 topics
one : tire seize
two: supercorsa for track day

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I tried a 200 dunlop GPA slick and didnt like it. It was way more nuetral feeling and the bike took longer to transition from side to side for me, grip was excellent but didnt exceed what I was getting out of the 190. Just my .02

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good thread...there's a raging debate about whether to switch to 200 from 190 on other track/race bikes and it's good to know that the switch is not recommended for the Kawi. Looks like it's the Michelin Power Cups for me on this bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seem that 190 is the winner!

If I have a chance, I think I will give the 200 a chance anyway

Ray

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
After racing on the pirelli superbike slick in the 200 and having experience on the superbike pro in a 190, I would never look back after moving to the 200.

My gen 3 and gen 4 both worked well with the 200. I won 4 titles this season including the Western Canadian Championship in expert superbike with the 200 pirelli. The edge grip is second to none.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
1) Turn in will be slower, unless you have found a 200 that has a more "narrow" profile than a 190...
example; 190> 200)

Because of the larger size it will take more throttle/horsepower to spin up the tire because a 200 is going to be a heavier tire than a 190.
example 190 10 lbs 200 15 lbs

Your adding weight so braking will require more effort...

Finally... If a 200 was better I think all the motorcycle manufatures would do it... They have the R&D money to do it...

At the end of the day do as you wish... I just don't think there is an upside unless you want to stunt and do wheelies or something.

A buddy of mine put a 190 on his 600 and he said the bike felt slugish less nimble than the 180. He was trying to get more grip, he wanted more contact patch... but the overall impact of the bigger tire was not worth it he said...

Also went from 65 profile front to a 60... He said he could feel a lot more bumps. Said he is going back to the 65...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
1) Turn in will be slower, unless you have found a 200 that has a more "narrow" profile than a 190...
example; 190> 200)

Because of the larger size it will take more throttle/horsepower to spin up the tire because a 200 is going to be a heavier tire than a 190.
example 190 10 lbs 200 15 lbs

Your adding weight so braking will require more effort...

Finally... If a 200 was better I think all the motorcycle manufatures would do it... They have the R&D money to do it...

At the end of the day do as you wish... I just don't think there is an upside unless you want to stunt and do wheelies or something.

A buddy of mine put a 190 on his 600 and he said the bike felt slugish less nimble than the 180. He was trying to get more grip, he wanted more contact patch... but the overall impact of the bigger tire was not worth it he said...

Also went from 65 profile front to a 60... He said he could feel a lot more bumps. Said he is going back to the 65...

The 200 is the new race tire. Dunlop, Michelin, and pirelli all use a 195 or 200 rear. They do this for footprint during cornering. The profile is very triangular and thus you will not find any difference on turn in between the 190 and 200. Weight wise the tires are identical (race tire to race tire)

Also, motorcycle manufacturers don't make the tires they put onto the bikes. They do spec them. They have been using the 200 supercorsa on all the 2012 aprilias. The tire manufacturers are making advancements and thus, you are seeing change.

Back to the OP. If you are looking at the superbike pro slicks, you can only get them in a 190....choice is easy.

If you are looking at the superbike slick, you can only get current tires in the 200....choice is still easy.

The 200 has amazing edge grip. Better than any tire I have used. But this is the internet....so take opinions for what they are worth I guess.

·
Registered
330 Posts
After racing on the pirelli superbike slick in the 200 and having experience on the superbike pro in a 190, I would never look back after moving to the 200.

My gen 3 and gen 4 both worked well with the 200. I won 4 titles this season including the Western Canadian Championship in expert superbike with the 200 pirelli. The edge grip is second to none.
Congrats, Man. And thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you use a 200/55,you have to bear in mind that you have to alter the bikes rear height cause the 200 is a taller tire than the 190/55,and alter the gearing since the 200 circumference is bigger.You have to remove all the other parameters(height and gearing)to be able to tell if the tire is good or bad.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The 200 is the new race tire. Dunlop, Michelin, and pirelli all use a 195 or 200 rear. They do this for footprint during cornering. The profile is very triangular and thus you will not find any difference on turn in between the 190 and 200. Weight wise the tires are identical (race tire to race tire)

Also, motorcycle manufacturers don't make the tires they put onto the bikes. They do spec them. They have been using the 200 supercorsa on all the 2012 aprilias. The tire manufacturers are making advancements and thus, you are seeing change.

Back to the OP. If you are looking at the superbike pro slicks, you can only get them in a 190....choice is easy.

If you are looking at the superbike slick, you can only get current tires in the 200....choice is still easy.

The 200 has amazing edge grip. Better than any tire I have used. But this is the internet....so take opinions for what they are worth I guess.
Cheers...

Note to self for race/track tires that have 195 and 200 option that have turn in like a 190.

I ride street only...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When you use a 200/55,you have to bear in mind that you have to alter the bikes rear height cause the 200 is a taller tire than the 190/55,and alter the gearing since the 200 circumference is bigger.You have to remove all the other parameters(height and gearing)to be able to tell if the tire is good or bad.
you realize your talking about a 5.5mm taller tire. as long as the suspension has been set up for it what else would you need to change...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts