Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched can't find accurate answer. I have one key... It has a slight rotational bend to it from the stubborn gas tank lock. And requires and special shimmy to get both the ignition and gas tank to unlock.

Do I need to buy a genuine Kawasaki black key? Does a Kawasaki dealer need to cut it.?
As cheesy as it would be why can't I go to Ace hardware and have a key made to match? Thanks guys

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just order the Chinese blanks on ebay and have any place that can cut the key do it. I have like 5 keys for all my Kawis. The ace hardware in town sometimes doesn't charge me and other times it's only 2.00

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved thank you, didn't know if there was any other stipulations thanks!

·
Registered
771 Posts
My dealer cut me a new key for a great price. I suspected that the 4th gen might have an immobilizer and was expecting a huge bill due but it wasn't much more than getting a new house key made. I was a real happy camper after that one. :smile2: I guess our bikes don't have immobilizers?

·
Registered
718 Posts
My dealer cut me a new key for a great price. I suspected that the 4th gen might have an immobilizer and was expecting a huge bill due but it wasn't much more than getting a new house key made. I was a real happy camper after that one. :smile2: I guess our bikes don't have immobilizers?
Not in the US at least

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanna know the difference between the 5$ for 3 blanks. Or a legitimate looking factory key for 18$

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought the ebay ones, and my locksmith cut them without issue. The blanks came with the Kawasaki marking and looked 100% legit.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCUT-BLAN...m3af25b0fa1:m:mdYffwSc-ukPoHKmXXlESmA&vxp=mtr

The keys I had trouble with was this one: do not buy these....(based on my experience) https://www.ebay.com/itm/112600551722

My locksmith is good, and we could not make this blank work. No problem on the gas cap, but no go on the ignition. I wished they would have worked as they appeared to be slightly stronger than the original key. Then again, a drinking straw is stronger, so maybe no big deal?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I wanna know the difference between the 5$ for 3 blanks. Or a legitimate looking factory key for 18$

It's inferior quality, but it works just the same, I've had quite a few blanks I kept around for the auction bikes I buy with no keys.

About the quality, I did a bend test on a Chinese blank and factory key. the plastic part of the Chinese key broke off the metal part easier then the factory key when I did a twist test, similar to a stuck ignition/gas lid but a bit more extreme.

I would buy 100 Chinese blanks before paying $20 for a factory key.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I picked up a blue and red key (look exactly the same as black Kawi key) and had them cut at ACE and they both work great. I think I have $15 into it total.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts