Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a sidewinder for my gen 3 dragbike but it’s hitting the oil cooler and filter mount.
Anybody have experience with this install and how to avoid the interference?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d need to completely grind off the outside ear?

Reactions: michael4012

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been looking into an oil filter relocation kit, any recommendations on this? I'm sure either remote mounted or mounted the other direction would clear.

·
Registered
338 Posts
u hitting the oil cooler, filter or just everything? adams has a oil adapter filter for the zx14, does away with the oil cooler which u can do without. have to plug couple or radiator lines no problem to do.$129. also filter mount appears shorter. schnitz states thier kit fits all years zx14, zx12, zx10, so should work. call them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have found a solution to the oil filter and cooler problem.
I removed the cooler and pulled the filter mounting bracket off. Looking at I thought, why can’t I just turn this upside down?
I matched it up and the bolts thread in. The oil ports are like a tilted figure 8, which they appear to line up as well.
Anybody see a reason this would not work?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s the base plate upside down with cooler removed

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it change direction of flow and not actually work or just not line up?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I contacted Schnitz about the Adams performance plate and it won’t fit my bike.

I came up with another way to some this issue, let me know what you think.
I’ll use the oe 4 bolt plate that mounts to the block, cut off the portion where the black line is.

Tap a npt fitting into the the in/outlets of the base where it’s been cut and run a remote filter setup.
Should be able to do this for about $50 instead of $200+ for a billet piece.

Attachments

Reactions: michael4012

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after some time messing around and configuring things, I got the oil filter mount bolted up. The front cooler mount bolt still contacts a bit. I'm thinking about doing a oil cooler block off with the 12 'o'clock and 7 'o clock positions in place and the 3 o'clock position cut off and tig welded up so it doesn't leak. I don't think I can grind enough material off to still be able to use the 3 o'clock mounting position.

Next problem, is the radiator. I'm looking for a decent alternative to cutting my radiator in half. I've taken measurements from a busa rad, which is shorter but too wide. Any suggestions here?
The curve of the OE radiator hits the exhaust header.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed the issue by ordering an awesome billet piece from Dwayne at Cycle Concepts. works perfectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts