Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My Gen1 track bike is running hot during track days so I am thinking of retrofitting a Gen3 radiator to the Gen1 bike. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of modification?

Based on some eBay pictures, the water outlets and the top mounting tabs seem to be similar between the two radiators. The lower radiator holder bracket will need some help to fit, that's for sure.

Thank you,
giszo

·
Registered
280 Posts
I examined the technical drawings between the Gen 1 and 3 radiators. They are very close in design, and you should be able to make the retrofit work. I also examined the water pipes, and they are also very close in design.

The biggest differences that I see is the Gen 3 radiator is taller, so the bottom mounting bracket will probably not work and you'll have to invent something. The Gen 1 and 3 radiator fans are exactly the same, so you shouldn't have to mess with the radiator's tabs.

Have you considered installing a second fan onto your current radiator? There's more than enough room for it, and wiring it up would be simple.

·
Registered
945 Posts
it fits and plumbs up with minor work....not sure how it will fit with OEM bodywork,as mine is race fit.

i run a gen 3 10R rad on my 2000 ZX6R too

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I examined the technical drawings between the Gen 1 and 3 radiators. They are very close in design, and you should be able to make the retrofit work. I also examined the water pipes, and they are also very close in design.

The biggest differences that I see is the Gen 3 radiator is taller, so the bottom mounting bracket will probably not work and you'll have to invent something. The Gen 1 and 3 radiator fans are exactly the same, so you shouldn't have to mess with the radiator's tabs.
Yeah, that's mostly the same what I saw. :wink: I will check whether I can get a Gen3 radiator for a reasonable price.

Have you considered installing a second fan onto your current radiator? There's more than enough room for it, and wiring it up would be simple.
I don't think that a second fan could help because the bike runs in the 194-200F temp range during a hot track day and the fan kicks in only after 203-204F has been reached.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it fits and plumbs up with minor work....not sure how it will fit with OEM bodywork,as mine is race fit.
The bodywork shouldn't be an issue because this is a track only bike in question, so it has race fairings as well, no OEM stuff. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think that a second fan could help because the bike runs in the 194-200F temp range during a hot track day and the fan kicks in only after 203-204F has been reached.
If you are installing and wiring the fan yourself, you could wire in a switch, and attach the electrical wires to a constant-on power source.

The switch itself could be attached to one of the clip-ons, or mounted nearby in the fairings.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
What's wrong with running 194-200deg? It's the temperature that these engines were designed to run. Am I missing something here?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
The cooling fan is normally irrelevant for a track bike. You're not getting stuck in traffic that forces you to keep the engine running so that you can stop and go at 10 km/h.

With that ... 194 - 200 F = 90 - 93 C and I would not consider this to be an issue that needs fixing.

You may be able to fill in gaps between the bodywork and the radiator to force air through the radiator instead of around it, which might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts