Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 ZX-10R. I have a slip on pipe w/ link pipe. I want to keep the stock headers (too cheap (aka. broke) to buy a full system right now) but eliminate the cats. I thought about just gutting them, but then I figured after all that effort it would just be better to cut them out completely and replace the chambers with straight pipe for smoother flow. This is no big task for me - I'm a mechanic and fabricator so I can weld it and do whatever with no problems.

My question is does anyone know what size the pipe is going into and out of the cats? I'd like to order the piping and fittings if needed all ahead of time so the bike isn't down for too long.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooo that sounds goood, do my headers for me too! :helmet:
I'd be willing do this mod for others as well. I probably won't be doing mine till over the winter. I don't really want to take the bike down right now. I'm going to do that mod, maybe have the headers ceramic coated and then a few other mods that involve the fuel and ignition systems them have it custom tuned. I also will most likely be doing it for my friend also.

If your serious about having me do this mod for you, you'll either have to wait till I do mine and make sure it works, or your headers will be my guinea pig.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
LOL..fer christ sakes,just gut the header...Why go cuttin and weldin new pipe in place of it..If your gonna go through all that work just say F it and build a new full system..
Figure out the inside diameter of the pipe where the cat is and get an extention and one of them do flickys that you use to cut out door knob holes with and have at it..
Unless my gen 2 sells thats gonna be my plan over the winter...There aint many full systems i like and unless the $$ suddenly gets better ill not be gettin a beet any time soon..If im lucky enough to get one at all now..

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL..fer christ sakes,just gut the header...Why go cuttin and weldin new pipe in place of it..If your gonna go through all that work just say F it and build a new full system..
Figure out the inside diameter of the pipe where the cat is and get an extention and one of them do flickys that you use to cut out door knob holes with and have at it..
Unless my gen 2 sells thats gonna be my plan over the winter...There aint many full systems i like and unless the $$ suddenly gets better ill not be gettin a beet any time soon..If im lucky enough to get one at all now..
Its really not that hard at all. Actually quite easy with the right tool to just lop off the cat chamber and replace them with straight pipe. I just want to order the stuff ahead of time so I can do it all in one sitting. I'm a mechanic and do exhaust work all the time and have all the tools and welders. In my opinion its easier and more effective than just gutting them.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Well if yer a tech and got all the tools,then yer done already..I wanna do mine soon cause im drewlin at the bassy tone she will have..
Do some before and after pics too will ya..I got a guy locally who will do mine but just not keen on ss pipe..dont imagine ti is cheap either..He also wants to make somethin up fr scratch so i can do the rear caliper under hang deal..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts