Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum as you can see so take it easy on me Haha! I bought my first zx10 a few weeks ago. I have a 2010 and its a fun bike but its verrrry fugly to look at from the front imo. I love the look of gen2 front bodywork tho. I always loved the wider looking zx seeing how I'm a bigger guy lol. I got a great deal on the bike though, 2200 miles for 6000 and looks new.

So with all that said I want to know your thoughts if its reasonably possible to swap gen3 front to gen2? I have extensively looked at the two in person and believe it should be a reasonably straight forward swap. The frames look slightly diff but only at the top of the frame near the neck. The fairings look to attach in the same places though.
a list of parts I think it would take, all fairings and brackets including the stay bracket and headlights. The ram air tube appears to be the same so I think that can be modded a bit to work. I already have a complete exhaust so that should clear. I also have extensive knowledge in bodywork and mechanical as well as a full machine shop and welders to use but if anyone has seen or heard of this it would be great to know about it and any insight is greatly appreciated

I look forward to playing w the kaw. I do have a 2011 gsxr1000 and a 2006 gsxr1000 but always liked zx10 just never had good financing options like Suzuki lol

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
just make some brackets to make it fit maybe a little glass work then some body work and baaaaaaaaaaaaaaam you got you a bad ass ride brother

·
Registered
809 Posts
The look will grow on you, trust me :wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any reason why you didn't just go for the Gen 2 from the off? If you're a bigger guy surely the bodywork and the bumped midrange would make for a better ride without modding.

Anyway, other than my helpless comment, please post pics of any progress on this as I do like the Gen 3 tail unit and would like to see it with the hybrid nose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the gen 3 makes a ton of peak hp

Any reason why you didn't just go for the Gen 2 from the off? If you're a bigger guy surely the bodywork and the bumped midrange would make for a better ride without modding.

Anyway, other than my helpless comment, please post pics of any progress on this as I do like the Gen 3 tail unit and would like to see it with the hybrid nose.

Yes there will be pics!
I plan to drag this bike more than anything. It will run a stock wheel base though. But from what I see the gen3 makes great peak power, perfect for drag strips. I did however search for a low mileage clean gen 2 but the few I found wanted 8-9 k and they still had minor issues. I'm picky on buying a used bike to begin w lol but the top end power I'm seeing from basic mods and price is what sold me on the gen3.
The larger fairings should help w wind and areo as well I hope. But for now I look like a monkey fn a football as my girl said Haha I'm like 210 6'2"

·
Registered
860 Posts
To bad you weren't around a year or so ago. I was goin to do a gen 3 front end on my gen 2. If I were keeping it I'd offer to swap everything with you. Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The larger fairings should help w wind and areo as well I hope. But for now I look like a monkey fn a football as my girl said Haha I'm like 210 6'2"
I'm 6'2" and 165... I look like a an overgrown lizard on almost any bike... or so my brother likes to keep telling me.

The Gen2 was developed I believe with a lot of wind tunnel testing and is surely the most aero dynamic front end of all the 10s. You can see they went purely for performance above trending the front end. Not many GP bikes witch look like they were designed with only a ruler and pencil...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts