Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently sent my bike (2008 gen3 zx-10r) for a valve clearance check, and the mechanic managed to strip the head on one of the screws on the right engine bracket.
part number for it is 92153-1319. black coloured hex head screw, it's visible with the fairing on.

it's the only screw that is different from the rest of the engine bracket screw.

did anyone else have a problem with that particular screw? i'm wondering if the metal used for that screw is just inherently weak, or is there a proper way to remove/install it without the screw head getting ruined?

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Pretty common problem with the 08 right side motor mount bolt. Lot of people have had problems removing that bolt to install frame sliders. As did I on my first 08. It was so tight I actually twisted a Snap On driver trying to turn it out and stripped the bolt head in the process. I had to drill the head off the bolt then it turned right out. I bought a new bolt and properly tourqed it.

Not sure why it comes from the factory like that on "some" models and not others.

It "might" have to do with how the engine was installed and tourqed in on the assembly line. Maybe they did that bolt first then over tightened the left side drawing it down to tight. I dont know. I do know its that way on some 08 bikes but not others.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for the info, MagicMavis! looks like i've been searching with the wrong keywords...

first time when i tried to open that bolt to change the spark plugs, it was very very tight as well. i tightened it back about 2Nm to 3Nm less than spec (spec is 44Nm). looks like it got jammed up again after another 12,000km.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Damn I have to be careful when removing that bolt.... I would rather not end up having to drill out the bolt
Thats the funny part. You dont actually have to drill out the bolt. You drill off the head. You start with a small pilot hole then use progressively larger bits till you get just the right size (slightly smaller than the threaded portion) that pops the head off from all the strain it is under. Then the threaded part just truns right out with your fingers. No loctite or nothing. No damage or scratches to the hole it threads into either.

Then, just buy a new bolt. I have a new spare bolt already bought.

That bolt was so tight it would twist the Snap On driver trying to turn it out, but once the head of the bolt was off as shown in the picture, the threaded portion just turned right out via fingers. Its not seized or nothing.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That bolt is tight as Hell!

Being aware that this bolt was giving people a hard time, I used a heat gun to warm mine before I removed it. I don't think it helped at all. That S.O.B. popped so loud when it broke loose, I thought I broke the head off.:eyecrazy:

I think the shop should buy you another bolt. I would ask for one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the shop should buy you another bolt. I would ask for one.
yup, the shop placed an order for that bolt with the main distributor around here, takes 3 weeks to get that bolt from japan.

makes me wonder if some other non-oem bolt should be used. bolt with the same dimensions but with a torx head or at least a bigger sized hex head to deal with the torque.

guess i'll start looking around when i get the spare bolt. the shop reused the old bolt and made a larger 12 or 16 point hole in the original hex head. apparently, there is some sort of tool to deal with problems like this. sure chewed up the head nicely though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts