Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...after my low speed (idle to 3000rpm ) issues, http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101846 I ended up deciding it was a coil pack gone bad. Even though there was no FI light tripped. Was told by a few ppl bad coils may not throw up a code, I found a set of coil packs off an 08 ZX10 on ebay for $45 shipped! Got em delivered yesterday, and installed them today. I went ahead and changed them all since 4 numbers on the 07 sticks didnt match the 08. Other than that they are EXACTLY the same size, wt and all. Put em in and the bike fired right up. Let her warm up to temp and she purrs like a kitten. Went for a short (2 mile) ride and she seems to be back to her beastly self. :thumbsup: Pulls from a dead stop off idle thru and past 3000rpm with no stumble or hesitation. Wont have much chance the rest of the weekend to ride, but so far im happy to have seemed to fix her myself and save at least $400 by not just truckin her to the stealership! :mrgreen: Oh...anyone that says ya HAVE to pull the upper outside mounts and brackets to get the coil packs in and out of #1 and 4...your wrong. I was able to get them out/in without removing the brackets. Took a few minutes of careful bending and pulling/pushing but it can be done. :thefinger

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glad to see you got her fixed :thumbsup: did you change the plugs also ?
Nope...plugs were good. Only like 2000 miles on em. :mrgreen: So...im hoping it was just a coil takin a turd and not the ecu starting to fry. If i have troubles again...ill be hunting an ecu off ebay.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Ok...after my low speed (idle to 3000rpm ) issues, http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101846 I ended up deciding it was a coil pack gone bad. Even though there was no FI light tripped. Was told by a few ppl bad coils may not throw up a code, I found a set of coil packs off an 08 ZX10 on ebay for $45 shipped! Got em delivered yesterday, and installed them today. I went ahead and changed them all since 4 numbers on the 07 sticks didnt match the 08. Other than that they are EXACTLY the same size, wt and all. Put em in and the bike fired right up. Let her warm up to temp and she purrs like a kitten. Went for a short (2 mile) ride and she seems to be back to her beastly self. :thumbsup: Pulls from a dead stop off idle thru and past 3000rpm with no stumble or hesitation. Wont have much chance the rest of the weekend to ride, but so far im happy to have seemed to fix her myself and save at least $400 by not just truckin her to the stealership! :mrgreen: Oh...anyone that says ya HAVE to pull the upper outside mounts and brackets to get the coil packs in and out of #1 and 4...your wrong. I was able to get them out/in without removing the brackets. Took a few minutes of careful bending and pulling/pushing but it can be done. :thefinger
I agree it can be done .. the right stick is a tight fit but the left stick is just a lil trick . pull up to the frame . lean it inline with frame towards the front and lift n roll. slides right out

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree it can be done .. the right stick is a tight fit but the left stick is just a lil trick . pull up to the frame . lean it inline with frame towards the front and lift n roll. slides right out
I actually found the right (#4) to be easier. lift..push to the front and out it came. The left (#1) up, pulled towards the inside and kept tugging til she came out. Installing it was more of a bugger lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts