Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I was able to score a 08 swingarm. Thanks to 1300hemibusa for such a great deal. I tried to fit tonight and here are some teaser pics.

so far I did a direct swap. I bought some 636 dogbones and knuckle but found out that the dogbones are same length as the Gen2's.

my concern so far is the clearance between the shock reservoir and the swingarm. I might end up getting a different shocks for this.

·
GEN II Driver
2,891 Posts
swingarm looks real good on that gen2 but def looks like the shock res will get smacked under load. wonder if it will affect how it handles.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Looks real good
Is there any benefit?? longer?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swingarm looks real good on that gen2 but def looks like the shock res will get smacked under load. wonder if it will affect how it handles.
thats what im afraid of. i will definitely get some 08 shocks. i will put reviews on how it handles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Man that arm looks right at home on the gen2 - great work Ebony, looking forward to your riding impression write-up.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Call me crazy but I thought the 2nd gen swingarms looked pretty sweet :dontknow:

Anyways, let us know how it works out.

Your bike looks pretty sick man :eek:ccasion1 I think the red and black is evenly balanced ATM, don't get too crazy with the red.

P.S. this one is by far my favorite conversion :thumbsup:
THIS BIKE IS SO TRICK!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the comments. i just need opinions on shocks. used 08 or 05?
thanks guys.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
i just need opinions on shocks. used 08 or 05?
I would go with an 08 shock becuase you know it will have the proper clearance you need.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
update.

After switching the knuckle and using the ones from 636, i gained a little more clearance between the shock reservoir and the swingarm. (from 1 finger to two fingers) also one of my main concerns is the clearance from the shock spring and the subframe, I only have 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance all the way around. can any one with the 08 tell me how's their clearances? it would really help.

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
update.

After switching the knuckle and using the ones from 636, i gained a little more clearance between the shock reservoir and the swingarm. (from 1 finger to two fingers) also one of my main concerns is the clearance from the shock spring and the subframe, I only have 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance all the way around. can any one with the 08 tell me how's their clearances? it would really help.

Thanks
After looking at your pics, I think you will be ok, do what I said though, back your preload all the way off, like af far as it will go without completely unthreading the rings, that should let you cycle the suspension probably more than it will under riding conditions, you have quite a bit of preload it looks like. Another thing you can try, I did as well, you can take the spacer out from the bottom of the shock mount and put it on top, then I extended the ride height, but your shock is not adjustable for that.(disreguard). Since you are running the stock shock though, why not just invest in a aftermarket 08 shock? But it looks like you might be OK< IMHO.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Looks real good
Is there any benefit?? longer?
Out of the three GEN swingarms, there is some length difference, but if you are using the same sprocket and chain setup, your wheelbase is pretty much gonna stay the same. It was hard to get an exact mesurement for all this mess, but I am thinking the 04-05 swingarm and the 08-09 swingarm, are almost the same length, and the 06-07 swingarm is slightly shorter, but like I said, you can adjust the wheelbase with chain length andyway you want, and get the same basic wheel base. You get into setup issues, wtih switching dogbones, and rocker lincages, and shocks, I am not advanced enough to be able to get into the differences, but maybe a pro would be able to experient and get the best setup using combined years parts, but that way beyond what most your be able to handle.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Knowing more on the swingarm differences and handling is key in my opinion. Can we get some spot on measurements and feedback? Thanks guys

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
damn, a decent looking arm and a side mount exhaust, i hear this second gen saying; "look papa im a real boy now".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts