Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having traction problems with my new gearing. Was really hoping would get better with warmer temps now but just isn't.
Is the Busa rear shock worth it to do, makes a noticeable improvement I mean. I got a gen2. Is it a Gen1 busa shock that I need to look at and is it a direct swap? Stock busa spring good for my 180lb suited weight?
Thanks for any and all help with this question. Need to get this thing sorted out. On the street I'm just laying rubber down and the track first gear is doing same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gen 2 spring rate is going to be to stiff. Gen 1 is usually what every one does. Its a straight drop in. And it just so happens I have a Gen 1 Busa Shock available. Asking $60...

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gen 2 spring rate is going to be to stiff. Gen 1 is usually what every one does. Its a straight drop in. And it just so happens I have a Gen 1 Busa Shock available. Asking $60...
PM you for some pics man. And thanks for the info guys.
Well I assume I want the softer spring no matter what for better weight transfer to the back. Does my stock link work with it or a straight link for Busa needed? I know you said "direct swap" but want to make sure I get what I need. And yes, I am lowered already as low as I can go and still be able to street ride.
If after I go with the Busa shock and STILL have traction issues of any kind I will have to go back to multi hole rear lowering links or thread style and really finely drop the thing.
Very annoying to loose a race because of loosing traction. I got an AWD car and it's normally the other guy that spins. My bike is driving me crazy right now.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
779 Posts
PM you for some pics man. And thanks for the info guys.
Well I assume I want the softer spring no matter what for better weight transfer to the back. Does my stock link work with it or a straight link for Busa needed? I know you said "direct swap" but want to make sure I get what I need. And yes, I am lowered already as low as I can go and still be able to street ride.
If after I go with the Busa shock and STILL have traction issues of any kind I will have to go back to multi hole rear lowering links or thread style and really finely drop the thing.
Very annoying to loose a race because of loosing traction. I got an AWD car and it's normally the other guy that spins. My bike is driving me crazy right now.
:eek:ccasion1
What tire and psi?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What tire and psi?
Shinko u-soft. No less than 28psi on street for fear of bending rim. At track I go down to 20psi.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Probably the busa shock ? just because the spring rate would still be to soft on the stock zx10 shock at that length..

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill try it and see. Don't want to go so low it actually slows bike down but ready to try anything.

·
Registered
779 Posts
At 8 over the most I could run is 18psi with a power one, the sweet spot for me was 15 psi.
How old is your tire? I had a buddy with a almost new U soft that was a year or two old and it would spin. Just curious are you spraying out the gate

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is the lower spring rate on the gen 1 busa shock the reason why to get one? Wouldn't adjusting a stock zx10r shock to the softest dampening help at the strip, or would the spring rate still be to high to compensate for the soft adjustments? Or do I have this all backwards?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
i have a busa shock already so i guess i will try getting it setup for my weight this winter. i would love to dip into the 1.20 60ft and i think a shock set up right would put me there

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At 8 over the most I could run is 18psi with a power one, the sweet spot for me was 15 psi.
How old is your tire? I had a buddy with a almost new U soft that was a year or two old and it would spin. Just curious are you spraying out the gate
Yeah spraying leaving. My tire is getting pretty beat at this point. Bout another month and will be ordering a new one. Currently it is 1.5 yr old according to manufacture date and I put it on before I parked it for winter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is the lower spring rate on the gen 1 busa shock the reason why to get one? Wouldn't adjusting a stock zx10r shock to the softest dampening help at the strip, or would the spring rate still be to high to compensate for the soft adjustments? Or do I have this all backwards?
No. Busa Shocks have a stiffer spring (High Spring Rate.) Compared to a ZX10 spring. Which is better for the track, but its actually a little to high ( not by much ) but since there stock valves it lets it sit alot easier. So if you was to re valve the busa shock it would actually be to stiff. So if your wanting the best results send your ZX10 shock in and get it re sprung to your weight and WB, and have it re valved for DRAG. Might as well have it shortend while its getting worked on lol... Now im still pretty new soo someone correct me if im wrong thanks!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts