Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with a Gen2 have a long lever travel until the brakes engage? Ive noticed the first inch or more of pull does nothing. Once past that part they work and grab fine...just a long initial pull to get to that point.

I know braided lines are nice, as are EBC pads as i have used them a dozen times on different machines. But; that does not change the "pull" that im talking about.

Its the free travel im concerned with. My pads are in almost new condition so i know overly worn pads are not the issue.

Anyone else got this issue or a fix? This is my first radial master...does it have an adjuster for this or something? No not the clicker on the lever.:headshake

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yup been hashed over for a couple yrs now along with the 'fade' topic and remedies for both include but not limited to a new aftermarket radial pump of your choice, a good thourough bleed of the system a couple times.

BD

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,856 Posts
Same issue here. SS lines, multiple bleeds, and piston lube didn't resolve it my satisfaction. The Nissin upgrade from the ZX-14/ZX-6 fixed it permanently, however.

·
Registered
690 Posts
oh, well yeah.

i didn't hear him mention racing or track days, so i wasn't thinking about all that stuff. mine has a long pull normally, but after about 1 inch (maybe less) the braking starts and i don't have any problems with the braking. at least for street riding.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The performance of the brakes is great. They have lots of power so i know there is no air in the lines. Just long travel.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yep!
Got the same issue. General feel is not good.
I just bought a set of calipers and master,and gonna get some HEL lines soon, and Fed. pads.
That better fix'em up.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Same issue here. SS lines, multiple bleeds, and piston lube didn't resolve it my satisfaction. The Nissin upgrade from the ZX-14/ZX-6 fixed it permanently, however.
:+1:
my ZX-14 caliper are in the mail...canM't wait to put those one and fix this problem for good!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yep, a characteristic of the 10R. Steel lines help a lot with the fading. The long pull, I think, is just the way the stock master cylinder is designed. A new, non-stock, MC would "fix" that.

·
Banned
150 Posts
yes this has been posted over and over again and for some reason the mods will not accept that the cailpers are junk or gen 1 and gen 2 bikes... they always want everyone to throw 100s of dollors on new pads, lines and mastercyc but it doesn't help.

just now, are you starting to see people beliving its the calipers that are flawed. if you take a light and look down into the calipers while pulling the lever, you will see the pistons move but since they are pulled to far back in the bores, and you have made lever traval. cleaning and lubing the shit out of pistons makes them work right for a short time, but then they start sticking again.

true fading from hard race days is not what this is about. for some reason people want to stick their in the ground rather than hear anything bad about their bikes. for me... doesn't matter if its mine or not... junk is junk in my book, if anything I'm pissed a spent my money on junk and would want to warn others not too... but here its over look all the bad for the few good things.

pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again the performance of them is fine but the "personality" of them is what I would like to improve on.

I notice no fade or lack of stop power, just a long reach until they engage.

I agree that its likely the calipers. Possibly a new bucket from some calipers would fix the problem, one that is a mm or two deeper.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yes this has been posted over and over again and for some reason the mods will not accept that the cailpers are junk on gen 1 and gen 2 bikes... they always want everyone to throw 100s of dollars on new pads, lines and master cylinder but it doesn't help.
To whom are you speaking??

Contrary to your useless rant about Mods wanting everyone to throw $$$$ at the brake system it is one way to in fact improve them just as its been for nearly any size sportbike along with nearly every brand sportbike so please do not suggest the Mods have not given useful/valuable info to our members :bitchslap :1848: every rider depending on their individual needs may only require ss-lines & pads for street riding............ and then we have those that ride both street & track that may require a MC, ss-lines & pads which for all intense and purposes handles any issues encountered. :1848:

just now, are you starting to see people beliving its the calipers that are flawed. if you take a light and look down into the calipers while pulling the lever, you will see the pistons move but since they are pulled to far back in the bores, and you have made lever travel. cleaning and lubing the shit out of pistons makes them work right for a short time, but then they start sticking again.

true fading from hard race days is not what this is about. for some reason people want to stick their in the ground rather than hear anything bad about their bikes. for me... doesn't matter if its mine or not... junk is junk in my book, if anything I'm pissed a spent my money on junk and would want to warn others not too... but here its over look all the bad for the few good things.

pisses me off.
good then stayed pissed off but take it elsewhere cuz you have no reason to be other than its part of your nature :rolleyes:

Nobody including myself have ever stated it was not the calipers, in fact back in 04,5 nothing was ever mentioned about the calipers so why be pissy and when nobody including YOU knew nothing about caliper issues??

Bottom line is the 06,7 zx10, 05,6,7 zx6r and now the 06,7 zx14 radial pump is a better pump than previous yrs and people have used them on the 04,5 zx10's with a reduction in lever travel as well as improved brakes overall so for you to suggest it doesn't help without using them would be somewhat foolish. :mrgreen:

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
and further more ??? for the most part its advisable to begin with the less expensive items such as pads, fluid and ss-lines before considering a MC or caliper swap / change as they typically are more costly.

BD

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe he meant the "mods" as in modifications to the brake system such as pads and lines...not ther moderators.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts