Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out yesterday riding went round a corner and ended up sideways 😂 put it down to oil on the road then it happened again on the next corner 🤦🏻‍♂️ Pulled over to have a look and my rear tyre was completely covered in oil with oil leaking out the engine. I have little knowledge when it comes to engines so was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it is that’s cracked here? attached a picture of the tyre so you can appreciate the hair raising end to the ride 😂

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pretty tough to tell anything from your photo. I suggest remove all the plastics/side covers completely clean/wash the bike with degreaser, start the bike and see if you can identify where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Lucky your OK there that could have been nasty bro. That picture certainly looks like you dumped a lot of oil, sadly the picture doesn't help identifying where it came from. Was the engine temperature normal, was the bike still running sweet, what is the oil level now, I hope you didn't ride on more or even re-start the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I’m still surprised I stayed on to be fair 😂
Nah I pulled over about 200 yards down the road and waited to be picked up in a van.
the picture shows the part that’s cracked and where the oil was from I’ve attached a picture so you can see more where it’s located on the bike. Red circle is the loose metal and the blue bolt is where it’s connected as it wobbles from there now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve attached a picture further out in the post above, I don’t fancy starting it though as it’s completely empty of oil now 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
That's your sprocket cover, why it broke there I can't imagine, whether the oil is spewing out behind there I do not know but if the output shaft seal blew that would account for dumping that much oil. If you have basic tools you should remove that and take looksie behind. If your not sure then post up some pictures of that. I struggle to find a reason why the sprocket cover would break, not even a bent output shafts would cause that, and for sure there would have been lots of noise and vibration. l if that had happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's your sprocket cover, why it broke there I can't imagine, whether the oil is spewing out behind there I do not know but if the output shaft seal blew that would account for dumping that much oil. If you have basic tools you should remove that and take looksie behind. If your not sure then post up some pictures of that. I struggle to find a reason why the sprocket cover would break, not even a bent output shafts would cause that, and for sure there would have been lots of noise and vibration. l if that had happened.
wasn’t a change in noise or vibration at all just felt like I was suddenly riding on ice 😂
I’ll have a little look see if I can find where it’s actually coming from tomorrow. That or another trip to mss performance again 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,086 Posts
How long have you had the bike? Looks bad right now, the first photo, the really close-up one, looks bad, clearly some busted up metal there.

If it’s just a leaking output shaft seal you can breath a big sigh of relief. But it’s hard to see what the metal piece is that looks almost torn in the first photo.

you didn’t overfill the oil by any chance did you? That can blow seals out, potentially.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long have you had the bike? Looks bad right now, the first photo, the really close-up one, looks bad, clearly some busted up metal there.

If it’s just a leaking output shaft seal you can breath a big sigh of relief. But it’s hard to see what the metal piece is that looks almost torn in the first photo.

you didn’t overfill the oil by any chance did you? That can blow seals out, potentially.
around 4 months or so, short enough time for it to be a kick in the teeth 😂
It’s going in tomorrow to be looked at so fingers crossed it’s nothing too bad 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
28 Posts
In your first photo I see bare aluminum? Is or was the chain real loose? What size is the countershaft sprocket? That's a really an area you don't get much stress. I'm thinking maybe your chain wore a hole in the case?. That would be the extreme. Those two bolts hold your cover on. If I remember even if they were loose they can't contact the chain unless it cuts into the cover. Pulling the cover off is easy. They do have rubber bushings, or grommets on a couple of them but there isn't anything to worry about pulling it off . I would remove mine if not for the speedo pickup as many racers do so you can keep the area clean and inspect the sprocket. If you use chain oil that flings off of cheap lub it will build up behind the case with sand etc...There is a seal around the output shaft behind the counter shaft sprocket. It's also possible it failed. That wouldn't be anything major...not like a hole. The first thing is taking the cover off and cleaning it so you can inspect it. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In your first photo I see bare aluminum? Is or was the chain real loose? What size is the countershaft sprocket? That's a really an area you don't get much stress. I'm thinking maybe your chain wore a hole in the case?. That would be the extreme. Those two bolts hold your cover on. If I remember even if they were loose they can't contact the chain unless it cuts into the cover. Pulling the cover off is easy. They do have rubber bushings, or grommets on a couple of them but there isn't anything to worry about pulling it off . I would remove mine if not for the speedo pickup as many racers do so you can keep the area clean and inspect the sprocket. If you use chain oil that flings off of cheap lub it will build up behind the case with sand etc...There is a seal around the output shaft behind the counter shaft sprocket. It's also possible it failed. That wouldn't be anything major...not like a hole. The first thing is taking the cover off and cleaning it so you can inspect it. Let us know what you find.
I had her booked in to a garage but I’m now half way through a ten day isolation due to covid 😒😒
I’ve not taken anything apart as I don’t have much idea what I’m doing and I’d rather not further any problems 😂
Sounds like you have quite a good knowledge of bikes though, out of interest do you know if when changing a regulator rectifier the chain would have to come off? I ask because it had this done around a month ago and if it is due to chain wearing then I’m guessing it would of been incorrectly fitted afterwards?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts